JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
a tip for those with lens replacement:
the eye clinic told my my eyes will focus better when wet
so I put in artificial tears before I try to focus on my iron sights
it does make a difference

I am still concerned about the recoil of my Mosins and my old Mauser with Turkish ammo and these new lenses
thinking about using a sissy pad for the Mosins
taking Saturday this week off (loll - from my retirement) to shoot High Power and shotguns with these new lenses
I can see all aperture sights - M1 Garand and M1A - and my swinging steel at 100 yrds
pistols are not an issue
I can't see the standart 100 yrd NRA target, so ordering some NRA NR-C 200 ryd targets and will built a special stand for these 23.5" wide targets

building another Mosin with aperature rear sight and a fiber optic front sight from Smith Sights - this one a 1936 ex sniper from Tula with a Finn 2 stage trigger

I just like to tune Mosins

P1030654.JPG P1030653.JPG

I am still concerned about the recoil of my Mosins and my old Mauser with Turkish ammo and these new lenses
thinking about using a sissy pad for the Mosins
taking Saturday this week off (loll - from my retirement) to shoot High Power and shotguns with these new lenses
I can see all aperture sights - M1 Garand and M1A - and my swinging steel at 100 yrds
pistols are not an issue
I can't see the standart 100 yrd NRA target, so ordering some NRA NR-C 200 ryd targets and will built a special stand for these 23.5" wide targets

building another Mosin with aperature rear sight and a fiber optic front sight from Smith Sights - this one a 1936 ex sniper from Tula with a Finn 2 stage trigger

I just like to tune Mosins

View attachment 1479170 View attachment 1479171
If you're thinking about a sissy pad, you should probably just wait longer.

when I say sissy pad, I mean my shooting jacket with a shoulder pad
I've been using such a jacket since 1989
I know young Russian women shot Mosins without shooting jackets back in the Patriotic War, but I'm not 18 any longer

View attachment 1479178
I'm totally with you; I'm not exactly young either. I've shot a bolt action 50 BMG prone before, so I understand recoil. If the jacket is for your shoulder and not your eyes, disregard my previous post.

I'm totally with you; I'm not exactly young either. I've shot a bolt action 50 BMG prone before, so I understand recoil. If the jacket is for your shoulder and not your eyes, disregard my previous post.
if I'm shooting a 5 rnd mag out of a Mosin or just a 8 rnd clip out of my Garand,, I can tollerat it, but if I'm shooting 50 rnds down range, i want my jacket

today was my son's day off so we went to the range (on our neighbors property)
the pistol range is under trees and comfortable even on a hot sunny day
near noon, we moved back to the 100 yrd mark
I can see iron sights, even old military leaf sights - that was not the issue I encountered
first shot with a Mosin - even with a shooting jacket, my lower back went into painful spasms

back in '89 when i broke my back in an industrial accident (ruptured L4 -5 -6), they performed surgery the old way
cut into my back, spread the muscles and fused the vertebra
now at 73, those abused muscles do not take to stress or strain

yes, i can shoot my 30-06 Garand again with iron sights, but the lower back pain was unbelieveable
I have this leather lifting belt I used to wear, will need that again for high power rifles
OR - I can stick with my ARs - 5.56 and 6.5 - and enjoy a day at the range

but my eyes are just fine - even with an iron sight bolt Mosin

today was my son's day off so we went to the range (on our neighbors property)
the pistol range is under trees and comfortable even on a hot sunny day
near noon, we moved back to the 100 yrd mark
I can see iron sights, even old military leaf sights - that was not the issue I encountered
first shot with a Mosin - even with a shooting jacket, my lower back went into painful spasms

back in '89 when i broke my back in an industrial accident (ruptured L4 -5 -6), they performed surgery the old way
cut into my back, spread the muscles and fused the vertebra
now at 73, those abused muscles do not take to stress or strain

yes, i can shoot my 30-06 Garand again with iron sights, but the lower back pain was unbelieveable
I have this leather lifting belt I used to wear, will need that again for high power rifles
OR - I can stick with my ARs - 5.56 and 6.5 - and enjoy a day at the range

but my eyes are just fine - even with an iron sight bolt Mosin
Glad to hear that your eyesight is better. Congratulations!

this used to be my morning coffee view
I'll wait to see if I can ever enjoy it without glasses again

View attachment 1473358

we had a clear view across the Valley this morning, so I went to my spot to check my vision
it's now been 30 days since surgery
I can now make out individual trees across the valley, which is 5 miles to that ridge line
every day my long range vision improve a bit
when some said they could see just 3 days after surgery, I ask to what distance and detail
can't see details on Mt St Helens yet, which is 30 miles away, but i can see the outline
I guess it just takes longer the older you are
overall, the surgery was worth it for an improvement in lifestyle
total out of pocket cost, after Medicare was $250 per eye
I can live with that

I noted a problem after my eyes adjusted from the lens replacement
after a couple glasses of wine or more than a couple beers, my eyes were going out of focus
like Beer Goggles
so yesterday, I had an appointment for an eye exam - drank 2 glasses of wine first and chewed breath mint gum
got a prescription for glasses after wine - HA HA
will let you know

I noted a problem after my eyes adjusted from the lens replacement
after a couple glasses of wine or more than a couple beers, my eyes were going out of focus
like Beer Goggles
so yesterday, I had an appointment for an eye exam - drank 2 glasses of wine first and chewed breath mint gum
got a prescription for glasses after wine - HA HA
will let you know
How different was that prescription from your pre-surgery prescription?

How different was that prescription from your pre-surgery prescription?
very different - I had 20/80
new prescription is for 20/25 - but I have great vision for 50' - fades out after that in definition
I can see the trees in the forest or across the valley, but i can't tell the difference between a Fir tree and a Cedar tree at 50'
but the real problem is astigmatism in my right eye - I would have to have acrysof iq toric iol surgery to correct the astigmatism - $4K per eye
not covered by Medicare

very different - I had 20/80
new prescription is for 20/25 - but I have great vision for 50' - fades out after that in definition
I can see the trees in the forest or across the valley, but i can't tell the difference between a Fir tree and a Cedar tree at 50'
but the real problem is astigmatism in my right eye - I would have to have acrysof iq toric iol surgery to correct the astigmatism - $4K per eye
not covered by Medicare
Lasik surgery corrects astigmatism - but again, not covered by health insurance or Medicare

got those new glasses today to correct my astigmatism
for the first time ever, I can see the front and rear sights on my Mosin, including the Finn M28 - out to 200 yrds
I don't have to constantly adjust my side focus on my FFP scopes
I can see through that Leopold with fixed Paralex now also
I can see across the valley and identify individual tree and be in focus (5 miles)

am taking my Garands out tomorrow

if you choose to have this surgery, ask if you have astigmatism, the standard lens replacement will not correct this

I'll bet these Russian women have never fired a shot!

View attachment 1750707
back during High School, my daughter was going to a party at Lake Erwin with school mates
she asked to shoot my Mosin M38 the evening before, with no shooting jacket
I asked her why and was told she wanted a bruised shoulder to show the boys she knew how to shoot
anyone who has ever fired an M38 with steel butt plate and no jacket knows what happened
the next day she had a beautiful purple and blue bruise on her shoulder
when she went to the party in her bathing suit, more than a couple boys asked her what happened
"O - I was just shooting my Father's Mosin"
evidently, that gave her points over the other girls

As my math teacher in junior high said, being able to see is a pleasure. Good on you for getting that cataract surgery done, even I'd there's some discomfort in the healing process. I had PRK laser surgery done back in 2011, and it's been great. Other family members have had intraocular implants done as a result of the development of cataracts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top