JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your eyes aren't so good you might check out Diamondheads for irons--with a little shopping around and creative couponing you can get a set for around $80, and they supposedly work very well for the In Need Of Glasses. (I think I got a fairly good sight picture even with glasses off when I mocked it up, and my good eye is 20/400 uncorrected--for comparison, to be .MIL aircrew even as loadmaster/cargo handler your BAD eye can be no worse than 20/200 last I knew.)

I have to agree with a light on any firearm for home defense. If I wake up in the middle of the night to a noise I want to make sure I see what I'm looking for or shooting at. ;)

The down side of that is all the hood rats (theives) wear sunglasses when dey git to steelin...
But in the real world they will be temporary blinded & that is all the time we need to quad tap em.:cool:

Ah, the integrated laser thing is tough. I know your upper has an A2 style front sight, so I get where you're coming from. I'd try a high-rise red dot and see how it works. I run a Vortex Strikefire II on one of mine although it doesn't have a front site post. I have another build that wears a red dot along with a separate red laser that pretty much co-witnesses if the red dot fails. I honestly can't think of a quality red dot/laser sight "all in one" type optic.

Ditto on the Vortex Strikefire II, it's a lot of device for the money. Red/green dot, 7,000 hours on the battery! I have the fixed front sight and it doesn't impede the red dot at all! The sights co-witness through the scope.

If your eyes aren't so good you might check out Diamondheads for irons--with a little shopping around and creative couponing you can get a set for around $80, and they supposedly work very well for the In Need Of Glasses. (I think I got a fairly good sight picture even with glasses off when I mocked it up, and my good eye is 20/400 uncorrected--for comparison, to be .MIL aircrew even as loadmaster/cargo handler your BAD eye can be no worse than 20/200 last I knew.)

I've never used the Diamond Head Sights, but I'm intrigued by them! They look as though they'd be very fast, close up and low light.
Or you could go bubba, old school and bore out the aperture to a "ghost ring" sized hole!:p

I recently finished building an AR for my DW and went shopping for a light weight sight for her. After looking at scopes we picked up several red dot sights. She picked up a TRUGLO TRU-TEC with integrated laser and after checking it out she handed it to me and said "this one". Got home mounted it and went out back to sight it in. Well, for $200, pretty nice set up, so I liked it so much I went back to the store and picked up one for my new build. Might want to check one out.

I could never get my eyes to focus correctly on an EoTech for some reason. it was always fuzzy.

I have tried it on every location possible on the rail to try to make it work.

Not much different than a pistol or shotgun.
Either way your ears may bleed.

I'd rather blow my ear drums than lose my family.

I do keep a set of tethered plugs on my nightstand :D
Way different. I've shot a lot of rifles, pistols and shotguns indoors and out. I own a couple of AR pistols and I can tell you that they are a LOT louder than typical handgun or shotgun. I can shoot a 9mm handgun indoors with no hearing protection (do not do this!) and still hear immediately afterward. A hunting rifle (don't do this either) leaves me instantly almost deaf. An AR pistol is basically a flash-bang that also sends a bullet downrange. :D

And yes, if stuff is happening fast and you don't have time for the hearing protection, go save your family and worry about it later.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews