JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm 73 and my vision is getting foggy
haven't been able to shoot irons sights for 20 years
I get my first eye done tomorrow - just lens replacement paid for by Medicare
I told the doc I wanted to be able to shoot iron sight rifle at 100 yrds again

second eye next Tue - will let you know

I had cataract surgery several years ago. Vision was remarkedly improved. However, the new lenses don't correct astigmatism. I still need readers for close up and computer but everything else is great.

After the surgery, you'll be shocked at the improvement in your vision.

Yep, same happened to my dad. Went from 20-50 to 20-20.
Doc tells me I'm 25% obstructed in the right eye. It makes for awful glare. He figures 5 years tops before replacement is needed.
Edit to add, cataract surgery is one of the true blessings of living in modern times.
was anyone on this forum able to shoot iron sights again after lens replacement?
3 of my shooting friends tell me they could, one said he couldn't
pistols out to 35 yrds and rifle out to 100 yrds
now, the doc said for $3500 per eye, she could give me vision from computer screen out to at least 800 yrds
but I consider that vanity at my age

was anyone on this forum able to shoot iron sights again after lens replacement?
now, the doc said for $3500 per eye, she could give me vision from computer screen out to at least 800 yrds
You should change your motto to…

Beware of old men in professions where one tends to die young.

I can. However, if you have astigmatism, it won't be corrected by the new lenses. My astigmatism is slowly getting worse in one eye after about 5 years after the surgery. Still really good long range vision but not like when I was a kid with 20/10 and 20/15 vision.

I will watch this with great interest.

I think I've needed and wanted such a procedure for a long time. Kaiser (medicare) always says it's not bad enough.

I went to Costco a while back for an eye check and new glasses, as they are cheaper than just my co-pay alone is at Kaiser optical. He said I need the surgery.:confused:

I will watch this with great interest.

I think I've needed and wanted such a procedure for a long time. Kaiser (medicare) always says it's not bad enough.

I went to Costco a while back for an eye check and new glasses, as they are cheaper than just my co-pay alone is at Kaiser optical. He said I need the surgery.:confused:
that's who told me
with a referral from the Costco Optometrist, my medicare will pay for most of this, I think I'm paying just a $250 copay for the entire 2 eye procedure
but I have United Health Medicare

100 yards iron sights means you need to see the front sight clearly.
vision today - I can see the front sight or the target at 100 yrds, but not both at the same time
rear sight is just a ghosty outline

in 1992 I shot my Garand at the NRA 1000 yrd match at Ft Lewis Wa
scored 146 out of 200 - Iron Sights in Military Match catigory

I have plastic lenses also. I entered that decision with much trepidation (though little choice) as I've not had plastic anything stand the test of time and sunlight.
Mine were done six years ago. So far so good, knock on wood!

super happy for you man, my dad had the same and he noticed an improvement in color acuity too. vision is one of those things that's so easy to take for granted.

tonight I look like Rosster Cogburn with my eye patch - a one eyed old fat man
I had the surgery under a local only so I heard them burn my cataract out and remove the remnants of my lens
pain is not bad, just uncomfortable tonight - nothing Ibuprofen and booze can't handle
my wife has no reason now to keep me from starting to drink on the porch at 7 in the morning

I won't be able to see for 3 days and can't shoot for 3 weeks - will get back to you then

the One Eyed Old Fat man

tonight I look like Rosster Cogburn with my eye patch - a one eyed old fat man
I had the surgery under a local only so I heard them burn my cataract out and remove the remnants of my lens
pain is not bad, just uncomfortable tonight - nothing Ibuprofen and booze can't handle
my wife has no reason now to keep me from starting to drink on the porch at 7 in the morning

I won't be able to see for 3 days and can't shoot for 3 weeks - will get back to you then

the One Eyed Old Fat man

One eyeed old fat man.jpg

I understand my age does not put me in the category of most posters in this thread but having had lasik in both eyes was a blessing. If i live to need lenses replaced, i would expect the technology to be even better than now and likely would not hesitate to get it done. Had my lasik done while vacationing in Colombia, cost was under $700 for both eyes; top notch facility too.

My mom had both eyes done and now has better vision than me. @rjmt here's to quick healing and being able to see well! :s0090:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top