JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Beautiful day in the hills today. Trying to dial in a 1x8 optic on my Colt 6920.

50 yards looks decent photo attached. When I moved back to 100 yards things got messed up. Was shooting at least 2" high. I shot a few more rounds then got fustrated then onto mag dump (super fun when the gun is in the Bog tripod). Anyway shooting high the further away I get?! I'm confused someone share next step. I'm gonna start over with laser boresight and try again. Sight in at 75 or 100 yards maybe? What would have happened if I got closer? I got bored of testing and decided to have more fun. Where to go from here?

grouping.jpg

That target image is nice thanks powermad. Now I can get a zero at 100 yards easy.

So closer than your zero distance you are generally going to shoot a bit higher I take it. I don't want to know why right now cause it seems backwards to me. Thats not making sense to me dang if I shot way furner out I would be raising the gun not lowering it grrr

No you shoot lower if your closer than your zero seems like

For mine it's .5" low at 50 and 1.5" low at 25 yds with a 100 yd zero.

With the zero target you aim at the colored portion and your hits will be in the gray one.

To hit the colored target after zeroing you would hold 1.5" high.

Lately to conserve ammo I just bore sight at 25 yds and dial it in at 100.
I'm usually pretty close.

Easy enough with the Bog, pop in the upper with no BCG and sight in the bore then adjust the reticle.

Beautiful day in the hills today. Trying to dial in a 1x8 optic on my Colt 6920.

50 yards looks decent photo attached. When I moved back to 100 yards things got messed up. Was shooting at least 2" high. I shot a few more rounds then got fustrated then onto mag dump (super fun when the gun is in the Bog tripod). Anyway shooting high the further away I get?! I'm confused someone share next step. I'm gonna start over with laser boresight and try again. Sight in at 75 or 100 yards maybe? What would have happened if I got closer? I got bored of testing and decided to have more fun. Where to go from here?

View attachment 1183830
nice group. this is what your supposed to do with an AR15. Zero at 50, it shoots 1-2inches high at 100 but it shoots zero again at 200 yards. This is the typical battle sight it. Hunters call it a Maximum Point Blank Range zero. Basically from - to a bit over 200yds you just aim dead on and will always be within 2" vertically (all other things being equal...).

Lots of personal preference here.
nice group. this is what your supposed to do with an AR15. Zero at 50, it shoots 1-2inches high at 100 but it shoots zero again at 200 yards. This is the typical battle sight it. Hunters call it a Maximum Point Blank Range zero. Basically from - to a bit over 200yds you just aim dead on and will always be within 2" vertically (all other things being equal...).
This is what I do as well. About 4" - 6" low at 300 yards as well. This has worked will for me at these ranges.

My .223 is zeroed 2" high at 100 yds, my 45-70 is zeroed to point of aim at 100 yds. My 300 Win Mag when I get the time and it's pet load worked up will be zeroed 4" high @ 200 yds.

On a good note I think this means I can just use my crosshairs and be in at 50 yards good then at 100 yards I can use the inner circle ⭕️ of the optic to measure down to the 100 yard mark

I barely know what MOA is but starting to make sense. That's what them lines are for huh huh

On a good note I think this means I can just use my crosshairs and be in at 50 yards good then at 100 yards I can use the inner circle ⭕️ of the optic to measure down to the 100 yard mark

I barely know what MOA is but starting to make sense. That's what them lines are for huh huh
for MOA all you have to remember is your group size in inches at 100 yards.
1 inch group at 100 yards is a "1MOA" zero. Or, a 1inch group at 50 yards is a 2MOA zero..

anyways, what scope do you have?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR