JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I shoot 9mm and 45acp. 9mm because its cheap and has a great selection . For trigger time it's hard to beat the 9mm price.

I don't see anything wrong with the .40 .

I have all calibers and ammo for everything but shoot 9mm the most as it's much cheaper.
If I could get .40, .45 and .357 Sig for the same cost I would happily blast away with any of those.
I'm on the ragged edge of needing to start reloading again as it is with 9mm so that may change.

I shoot 9mm and 45acp. 9mm because its cheap and has a great selection . For trigger time it's hard to beat the 9mm price.

I don't see anything wrong with the .40 .

I'm the same way. Although I did order a .40 barrel and traded for 2 .40 mags this weekend so I can convert one of my pea shooters to said caliber. :)

I have all calibers and ammo for everything but shoot 9mm the most as it's much cheaper.
If I could get .40, .45 and .357 Sig for the same cost I would happily blast away with any of those.
I'm on the ragged edge of needing to start reloading again as it is with 9mm so that may change.

That's my issue as well. $499 is an amazing good buy on the P226. I'm really not that recoil sensitive, as I regularly shoot WW2 rifles, but this would be a range toy and I don't need it to drop an intruder. I would prefer it to make tight groups on paper. That and I don't like to pay $20 a box for ammo.

Going to 9mm from .40 is just a Barsto barrel away.
Or a slide assy.
In fact I just missed a P226 complete 9mm slide assy with a Romeo1 for $325 on sigforum while I was putzing around in here. :eek:

I completely forgot about the P226-22 that is available for $550 for anyone interested in getting a P226 SAO Elite framed .22LR.
Swap any P226 9mm or .40 slide assy.

Never mind, they went poof fast.

Last Edited:
I believe SIG stopped offering them a while ago, so yes, if anybody sees them offered by a retailer, they will snap them up.

Personally, I find used SIGs here on the forums that are in VG-EXC condition from time to time, for good prices.

Good luck on your purchase if you move forward with one. I enjoy my P226, although for me it's a range gun, not a carry gun. I've owned (and own) quite a few SIGs, and with the pistols I've not experienced an issue on quality.

I would agree that SIG seemed to lose their way by massively expanding their catalog without anything truly discernible between their lines of product; 2020 looks to be the start of them trying to correct that, but we'll have to see where that goes.

40 v 9 - there are threads on that and there are a lot of pros and cons

At first I was only buying 9mm's because I am a prepper, but then I learned how easy and cheap it was to convert a SIG (or a Glock), especially if you started with a .40 and converted to a 9mm. So I tried it and I liked it. I won't get into the ballistics etc., but I always thought the .40 had an advantage ballistically over the 9mm, especially with the heavier projectiles - the downside being ammo availability if SHTF. Hence my getting conversion barrels/etc. to go to 9mm if SHTF and I run out of 40 ammo.

As for how it feels - you can definitely tell the difference, but in the 226 or the 229, it is still mild comapred to a .45 ACP in the 227 with 230 gr loads. Each person will have a different preference with regards to recoil - I personally don't have a problem with 9 vs 40 vs 357 SIG vs .45, but then I have not timed myself with any of these.

OTOH - when I shoot my 224 in .40, I can definitely tell that it is significantly more "snappy" than the 226 or 229 or 2340 - in part because I can't get a full 3 fingers on the grip, but also because having a much shorter barrel/recoil spring and being lighter, it is just the nature of the beast. For me, the jury is still out on whether the recoil is worth it vs the 9mm when used in a self-defense scenario - but I need to get the 9mm conversion barrel and a pinky extension or the sleeved mag, to get more experience with it. I would definitely be slower with the .40 in the 224.

It isn't until I get up into the magnums and light handguns that I start to have problems with handgun recoil - where I find it is no longer fun to shoot them - e.g., my S&W 329PD in .44 mag; my 460 mag is a pussycat by comparison, but still not something that is anywhere near as much fun or as shootable as any of my SIGs.

Other people have different reactions to handgun recoil and may find 9mm much more controllable than 40 - me, I find that I can tell the difference, but feel I can control the .40 just fine, and the .45 is still controllable for me, but definitely a step up from the .40 - although I have not tried +P or +P+ in any of my SIGs - yet.
I am almost tempted to keep my SAS DAK 229 in 40 if i can find the 9mm conversation barrel you bought for your SIGs. Can you help me out?

Last Edited:
Thirteen shots of Blazer 180 gr FMJ .40 from a US made P226 - from 10 yards - slow fire, offhand. I was aiming at the top of the black paper.

20200427_181322.jpg

I am pretty rusty, I get out to shoot maybe a couple of times per year. This is the first time this year I have shot anything IIRC. The two shots to the right were the first shots.

Thirteen shots of Blazer 180 gr FMJ .40 from a US made P226 - from 10 yards - slow fire, offhand. I was aiming at the top of the black paper.

View attachment 690159

I am pretty rusty, I get out to shoot maybe a couple of times per year. This is the first time this year I have shot anything IIRC. The two shots to the right were the first shots.
That's good enough for MOS (minute of sinus) or center of mass... My bullseye days are behind me, now I just want to be able to cluster in a mass smaller than the average male head :D

Last Edited:

View attachment 690159

Looks like Minute of Heart, or Face, to me.
Good shootin' Tex!

Last Edited:
Great to see all the discourse on NWF these days. 2 years back, this would have had 3 posts. It's at 12 pages and still pretty friendly and interesting. Good to see lots to folks on the board these days all interested and knowledgeable both. Thank you all.

Frank, ONE more thing as it hasn't been brought up yet (or I missed it). Don't think you're done spending $ just yet:) In addition to using a conversion barrel (it is not a standard barrel, it's a conversion barrel to convert to 9mm frm .40) Sig use to offer a .22 conversion kit as well. You'll see those turn up on Sigtalk or Sigforum on occasion. In fact, getting a used one is better as the new ones can be a tad tight and jam. (use higher power .22 like CCI mini-mags, the recoil needs to be enough to send the slide back all the way, lube well, any limp wristing or soft weak ammo - NO subsonic, will cause you grief)

Basically a slide assembly and mags and you're in. The slides pop off and on in seconds on these sigs. This is great for practicing with your pistol and running drills using .04/cent .22 bullets and having a significant other or a child learn to shoot. Buy Sig Sauer P226 .22LR Conversion Kit for $250.99 | CONV-226-22

It came in threaded and non-threaded barrel versions. The only downside is that there isn't a last round slide open feature. There was some metal followers a private citizen made up and sold to replace the cheap stock plastic ones that fixed that issue, if you keep your eye open you may find some for sale either as a full mag or a follower alone. Basically just pull the plastic one off the spring and put the metal one on and you're rolling. More info to investagate:

Buy Sig Sauer P226 .22LR Conversion Kit for $250.99 | CONV-226-22

1.jpg

BTW, might pick up an extra slide spring now as well, they say replace it every 5000 rounds.

Last Edited:
I have .22 conversions for both 226 and 229s. The mag is basically the same with a different bottom plate to fit the shorter mag well of the 229. And yes, I have heard the followers wear out and I saw a thread on the aftermarket followers.

I wish they made one for the 227, they do for the 220, and the slide should fit the 227, but the mag would not fit - at least not without modification and even then, not sure it would work?

I was just thinking today that tomorrow is supposed to be nice weather, so I may put the .22 slides on and see how they work with the different kinds of ammo I have and just acquired.

BTW, might pick up an extra slide spring now as well, they say replace it every 5000 rounds.
Replace the recoil spring every 5,000 rounds??? Whoa, I'm behind schedule.
I've got at least 11,000 rds through my P320 in the past 4 years, and it's still croozin' right along with all original parts except for the VUP for the drop-safety fix.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top