JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IF it had happened 10 msec different time, then my hand would not have been there and I wouldn't be writing this with 2 fingers

Or, your hand could have been on its way up and you could have blown off a finger instead. There's not a lot of empty space in the palm there - did you manage to avoid the bone and tendons? If so, you are one lucky sob.

Edit to add: As a climber, I manager to tear those tendons along with a few of the pulleys that hold the tendon to the finger bones in 3 fingers on my left hand and 2 on my right. ANY damage to those parts and your hand feels damn near useless. I wish you a speedy recovery if you did damage those parts. Tendons do not receive a lot of blood flow and, by virtue of that, do not heal fast...at all. Anything that you can do to increase blood flow will help: physical therapy, massage, applied heat (don't bother with ice!), get your hear rate up walking/running/working out. It took me, as a teenager, 3 months to be able to hold a full soda can, 6 months to get back to climbing, 12 months to get back to decent strength, and 18 months to get back to "full" strength. It's a long, long road.

Glad to hear you're doing alright!

Last Edited:
now both the Clark Co Sheriff and I disagree
on the police report for a firearm incident, they list 12 possible reasons, including "Senior Related" , I'm over 70
by law, just because you have the firearm in your possession, doesn't mean it's your fault it went off
in my case, there is a big black X in front of Accidental Discharge on the police report

according to the trauma dept at Emanuel Hospital in Portland, they see more accidental gunshot wounds from Glocks than any other pistol
since I was transitioning from a 1911 to a Glock, I know there are training difference that need to be addressed
the NYPD had over 30 accidental discharges when they transitioned to Glocks

Oh wow, I didn't think this thread was gonna result in me needing to defend Glocks. But.......

ALL the AD/ND of Glock have been the result of pilot error. MOST of the AD happen because of the need to drop the trigger prior to slide removal and idiots forget to remove the round out of the chamber first. There were also several instances of holsters that didn't cover the trigger guard and objects/clothing pulled the trigger. And some of shooters taking up the slack until they feel the "wall" and misjudging it or not realizing how close they are to the break. And quite a number of failures due to people dicking with the trigger system. The NYPD problems came during the early transition from revolvers to G17... the revolvers having a heavy and long pull, and the G17s having a 5.5lb medium length pull. Dumbazzes! This resulted in the New York trigger for Glocks, with an 8lb or greater pull. (the NY Plus has a 12lb trigger pull... dumbazzes!) But most of the NY trigger was because of city lawyers in the same city that banned 64oz sodas.

I'm primarily and historically a 2011 shooter. I switched to glock for action pistol competition because I was afraid I would forget (i'm getting old) to re-engage the manual safety, that something would disengage it and then I would have a problem (my competition pistol had a 2lb pull and the grip safety defeated), and also because of bad arth in my thumb, I can't operate the manual safety on a 1911 nor shoot with my thumb riding the wide Wilson safety as I like to do.

I really don't like the Glock trigger feel, preferring the SA 1911 feel, but they are the AK of pistol triggers and, if left stock as designed, will function hot, cold, dirty, fouled, wet, etc. Bulletproof.

Not happy when people blame the weapon for AD, and hangfire being the ammo, not the pistol.

Last Edited:
As far as being able to fire a round with the mag out... there are many pistols that will do that. Only in the most recent designs and upgrades of existing models have they included a mag disconnect.

IMO, it's unsafe to have a mag disconnect in a gunfight. I take them out. Just yesterday I watched a vid where two troopers were engaged in a gunfight with a BG. One of the troopers was shot twice after his partner accidently depressed the mag release, dropped his mag and was then out of the fight. If this happened, I'd rather have a one shot pistol then an inop pistol. Hmmmm, better make it a head shot, eh?

All of the actions, from the modifications done to putting a hand in front of the muzzle puts the incident 100% on the operator. Not the tool.

Of course the report is marked "accidental". There's no box for "negligent".
actually, there is, it's selection #2, right after intensional
the legal report is on the discharge of the firearm
according to all the feedback from this forum, the modifications had nothing to do with this incident, there was at least a 3 sec delay
I'll accept hangfire and not blame the Glock
as for the hand in front of the muzzle, that was on me and I've spent hours training on racking the slide from the rear
old habits die hard, and I never had an issue with the way I racked a pistol slide in the last 30 years - until that one 10 msec time frame in August

Not to pile on but you are very lucky and got off pretty easy as you broke the first rule of gun safety. Exposing body parts to the muzzle of a loaded firearm while manipulating it is certainly a habit that needs to go away with any firearm you handle. I am sure it is embarrassing and hard to come to grips with but the tool is definitely not to blame here. Learn from it and move on.

This whole incident is operator error from the sounds of it and for what its worth ....

I've owned Glock pistols since there have been Glocks available in the US circa 1988 IIRC.. I have never had a single reliability / safety issue a Glock ever. I honestly do not know how people can take what is arguably one of the simplest gun designs made and cause it to not function properly.

As far as being able to fire a round with the mag out... there are many pistols that will do that. Only in the most recent designs and upgrades of existing models have they included a mag disconnect.

IMO, it's unsafe to have a mag disconnect in a gunfight. I take them out. Just yesterday I watched a vid where two troopers were engaged in a gunfight with a BG. One of the troopers was shot twice after his partner accidently depressed the mag release, dropped his mag and was then out of the fight. If this happened, I'd rather have a one shot pistol then an inop pistol. Hmmmm, better make it a head shot, eh?

my original semi auto pistol is a S&W 4506 from 1989, I've fired it since day one with the understanding that if I drop the mag, the pistol is safe
that is why I dropped the mag and considered the Glock safe, it was a 30 year old habit based on the Smith
even though I owned the Glock for 8 years, I had less than 10 hrs on the trigger

as for a carry gun, I live in a very rural area and don't anticipate encountering bad guys, coyotes, cougar and giant raccoons - sure
you might see me at Safeway in Woodland once a month, otherwise I avoid social contact
this Covid 19 social isolation is my normal life
I open carry a S&W 686+ 5" in a cross draw holster
in my life environment semi-autos are only for fun on the range

This whole incident is operator error from the sounds of it and for what its worth ....

I've owned Glock pistols since there have been Glocks available in the US circa 1988 IIRC.. I have never had a single reliability / safety issue a Glock ever. I honestly do not know how people can take what is arguably one of the simplest gun designs made and cause it to not function properly.

as I have already stated above, in retrospect, I should have traded the G22 for a Gen 3 G17

but I didn't

and the Glock works just fine, I thought the majority of this forum agreed it was a hangfire
the brass to face issue I had was common on early Gen 4 and was fixed by a new recoil spring and extractor from Glock
in an attempt to justify the incident, I first blamed the Glock
not any longer

my original semi auto pistol is a S&W 4506 from 1989, I've fired it since day one with the understanding that if I drop the mag, the pistol is safe
that is why I dropped the mag and considered the Glock safe, it was a 30 year old habit based on the Smith
even though I owned the Glock for 8 years, I had less than 10 hrs on the trigger

as for a carry gun, I live in a very rural area and don't anticipate encountering bad guys, coyotes, cougar and giant raccoons - sure
you might see me at Safeway in Woodland once a month, otherwise I avoid social contact

Hmmm.......relying on things like mag disconnects and manual safeties to keep you safe is foolhardy . The ONLY thing you can rely on to keep you safe while handling and operating firearms is YOU.

You learned a lesson. The hard way. I'll stop emphasizing your mistakes. You already know.

Still waiting on those pics......

I get it. I still enjoy "old school" firearms. ;) I also carry a .357 in the woods. Not a pistol. But if I had a 10mm I might.

But I would have caution since I live in a rural area also and tho we don't have as many bad guys, there are some, have been some home invasion robberies out aways, some rabid coyote, and cougars are common. The 4 legged critters I will handle with the .357, but for home invaders they better bring lunch, armored vests, etc. "Safe storage" to me means staying safe. :)

Hmmm.......relying on things like mag disconnects and manual safeties to keep you safe is foolhardy . The ONLY thing you can rely on to keep you safe while handling and operating firearms is YOU.

You learned a lesson. The hard way. I'll stop emphasizing your mistakes. You already know.

Still waiting on those pics......
you asked
and I thought I was going to have one of those little pucker scars from a GSW
my little finger was hanging off, but nerves and tendons still intact, they just sewed it back on
still don't have full use of my ring finger and can't close my hand fully due to scar tissue from the muzzle blast
my surgeon at Emanuel did such a good job, the scar is hidden in the creases of my palm, he gets lots of experience in Portland
9mm FMJ just went through and through, I made it to Emanuel in Portland 1.5 hrs later without any pain meds
my Doc said the 9mm shocked the nerves and they just turned off to protect the body

Resized_20190824_120848.jpeg Resized_20190824_141347.jpeg Resized_20190824_144630.jpeg

I get it. I still enjoy "old school" firearms. ;) I also carry a .357 in the woods. Not a pistol. But if I had a 10mm I might.

But I would have caution since I live in a rural area also and tho we don't have as many bad guys, there are some, have been some home invasion robberies out aways, some rabid coyote, and cougars are common. The 4 legged critters I will handle with the .357, but for home invaders they better bring lunch, armored vests, etc. "Safe storage" to me means staying safe. :)

as for intruders, I purchased a Mossberg Shockwave with a saddle laser, forget a handgun!

I posted about the Shockwave several years ago, a handy little Farm tool

with the saddle lazer, aiming is not an issue, even out past 35 yds in bright sun

bandolier holds 20 rnds, if I grab the Shockwave, the bandolier is hanging off it

and I can still cock the Shockwave with my gimp left hand due to the slide strap

shockwave with bandolier.jpg

now both the Clark Co Sheriff and I disagree
on the police report for a firearm incident, they list 12 possible reasons, including "Senior Related" , I'm over 70
by law, just because you have the firearm in your possession, doesn't mean it's your fault it went off
in my case, there is a big black X in front of Accidental Discharge on the police report

according to the trauma dept at Emanuel Hospital in Portland, they see more accidental gunshot wounds from Glocks than any other pistol
since I was transitioning from a 1911 to a Glock, I know there are training difference that need to be addressed
the NYPD had over 30 accidental discharges when they transitioned to Glocks

Interesting stuff. I've never gotten that racking the slide from the front thing. Maybe someone here can enlighten me as to the advantages of doing that. I've even seen a few pistol slides that had the serrations at the front as well as the rear. Thus said, I don't see how it would be necessary to place any part of your hand in front of the muzzle.

I have two Glocks, never have touched the mechanicals. Been satisfied with their performance as built.

This is my 70th year, so OP has my sympathies. I have to say that at our age, extra care and caution are called for. Stumbles, trips, falls, dropping things, etc. We ain't kids anymore, can't just forge ahead without thinking. I take extra care around handguns when I'm out using them. These days, I never leave one loaded around the house. It's easy enough to forgot that it's loaded. On those rare occasions when I carry concealed, I don't leave a round in the chamber. Maybe I should just start carrying around a big rock.

Probably too late for the OP, but advice for others re. healing up. If the injury involves a moving joint, like fingers and toes especially, once the skin heals over, get to moving the parts quickly. Under doctor's care, of course. But movement during the healing process reduces atrophy related to scar tissue. If you move the tissue, it will retain more flexibility.

Thanks for sharing. It honestly doesn't look too bad, all things considered.

not a lot of blood, the muzzle blast cauterized the wound

I spend 10.5 years in the Military and another 10 years working in VA hospitals
I know a lot of veterans who are living with worse, I have no justification to complain about my situation
just to discuss it as learning for others

Wow - what a thread!

I just pulled my G17 gen4 and imagined racking the slide that way - yikes!

I suppose I have never thought about how I rack the slide, but I would describe it as rotating my left wrist from its regular support hand placement and grabbing the back half of the slide. Least amount of travel, never involves me flagging myself. Edit to say: I'm more of a slide release guy anyway though, an extended slide release for Glocks is a must in my opinion, especially if you plan to use it compared to racking the slide with the support hand.

I put a 3.5 connector from ghost into every Glock I keep, but wouldn't want to mess with it beyond that.

Glad it wasn't worse, not that it was great.

A reminder to everyone that years of safe handling doesn't matter because in a moment of lapse in judgement, or ignoring all safety rules simultaneously, can/will be a problem.

not a lot of blood, the muzzle blast cauterized the wound

I spend 10.5 years in the Military and another 10 years working in VA hospitals
I know a lot of veterans who are living with worse, I have no justification to complain about my situation
just to discuss it as learning for others

Good thing you're not still in - probably would have been issued some ibuprofen and told to sleep it off.

giphy.gif

Interesting stuff. I've never gotten that racking the slide from the front thing. Maybe someone here can enlighten me as to the advantages of doing that. I've even seen a few pistol slides that had the serrations at the front as well as the rear. Thus said, I don't see how it would be necessary to place any part of your hand in front of the muzzle.

I have two Glocks, never have touched the mechanicals. Been satisfied with their performance as built.

This is my 70th year, so OP has my sympathies. I have to say that at our age, extra care and caution are called for. Stumbles, trips, falls, dropping things, etc. We ain't kids anymore, can't just forge ahead without thinking. I take extra care around handguns when I'm out using them. These days, I never leave one loaded around the house. It's easy enough to forgot that it's loaded. On those rare occasions when I carry concealed, I don't leave a round in the chamber. Maybe I should just start carrying around a big rock.

Probably too late for the OP, but advice for others re. healing up. If the injury involves a moving joint, like fingers and toes especially, once the skin heals over, get to moving the parts quickly. Under doctor's care, of course. But movement during the healing process reduces atrophy related to scar tissue. If you move the tissue, it will retain more flexibility.

I live on a working 5 acre Farm, movement is a way of life
when I couldn't use my fingers the first few months, I purchased this hook so I could still hold a chainsaw, shovel and weed eater
I have adapted

hook hand (2).jpg hook hand 1.jpg

Wow - what a thread!

I just pulled my G17 gen4 and imagined racking the slide that way - yikes!

I suppose I have never thought about how I rack the slide, but I would describe it as rotating my left wrist from its regular support hand placement and grabbing the back half of the slide. Least amount of travel, never involves me flagging myself. Edit to say: I'm more of a slide release guy anyway though, an extended slide release for Glocks is a must in my opinion, especially if you plan to use it compared to racking the slide with the support hand.

I put a 3.5 connector from ghost into every Glock I keep, but wouldn't want to mess with it beyond that.

Glad it wasn't worse, not that it was great.

A reminder to everyone that years of safe handling doesn't matter because in a moment of lapse in judgement, or ignoring all safety rules simultaneously, can/will be a problem.

I learned to rack the slide on my old 4506 (which I still shoot)
it has a squared off winter trigger guard for barriers, so I used this as a rest for my left hand
being that far forward already, ( a 4506 is MASSIVE) I just pivited my left hand up past the muzzle and racked the slide with the front serrations
my Glock has the same squared off trigger guard, so I did the same, 30 year old habits die hard
I had to retrain myself to lock my hands on the grip and grab the wings I installed on the Glock
I still cant grab a slide with enough strength to rack it on a striker fired
for a hammer gun, I have to cock the hammer back first to relieve tension

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class