JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I originally purchased a Gen 4 G22 8 years ago
didn't like the .40, so I put in a Wolf 9mm conversion, including 9mm ejector and extractor
put in a Gen 3 trigger, since I didn't like the Gen 4
it just didn't fire right, trigger was gritty and constantly threw brass to my forehead
after weeks of work, just got frustrated and put it back in safe
then late last year, I pulled it out to try again
hadn't cleaned the Glock in 6 years, was just sitting in the safe
went out to test fire it on my own range here on the property Remington Green Box 125 gn
2 mags fired fine, except brass to forehead again, then a failure to fire
trigger was still back, so I dropped the mag, kept the Glock pointed downrange, my finger was out of the trigger guard
was just bringing my left hand up over the muzzle to rack the slide
BAM - Bass Strike - the Glock went off and put a FMJ through my left hand
now if anyone wants the bloody photos, I have them
luckily, the FMJ went cleanly through my palm between my ring finger and little finger
BUT, the muzzle blast burned a hole completely through my hand cauterizing most of the wound
police investigation states accidental discharge - he carried a Glock himself and understood the mechanics of the Glock and the failure

still adapting 8 month later, since the scar tissue from the muzzle blast is keeping my hand from closing fully
but the purpose of this email is:
don't rack your slide from the front
and there is a situation with the Glock that it can have a defective trigger connector, in which to much friction can cause the firearm to fail to fire, even when properly lubricated
I put in a GHOST trigger connector, late model 9mm extractor plus a 15lbs spring and all is now well - with the Glock at least
I still have this glock and fire it
I am not afraid of the pistol that shot me!

rjmt

Sounds more like a hangfire (ammo's fault) than the gun's fault. I would like to see proof of this defect, as I'm not aware of any circumstances where a Glock will pull back and release it's own striker without deliberate effort

There are many unsafe glocks out there today due to " upgraders" and 80% builders not fully understanding the internal workings and how important the geometry relationship of the parts are. It sounds like dust buildup may have exacerbated the incorrect geometry between the firing pin and the trigger bar. I am glad it wasn't worse.

Last Edited:
Sounds like it wasn't a full kit of Gen 3 trigger parts. The bar hanging up on the connector should cause a failure to reset the trigger, as you mentioned it being stuck back, but the striker is already dropped at that point. An inadvertent discharge means the cruciform has fallen off the shelf of the trigger housing, releasing the striker. I'm guessing some of the trigger parts were a mix of Gen 3 and Gen 4, such as a Gen 3 trigger bar and a Gen 4 housing.

I can't think of any Gen 4 frame differences that would cause a problem with installing a full Gen 3 trigger. But I could be wrong.

Trigger mods should be performed by a Glock armorer. This is why. Dropping in a new connector is generally not a prob, AFAIK, but messing with anything else can be a critical mistake. Watching JohnnyGlock.com vids will scare most out of doing mods. But his AD/drop/trigger test is a good vid to watch.

I hate to be this guy, but, why was your hand in front of the muzzle to begin with??? I'm not being an bubblegum, just a simple question

it's possible it was an ammo hangfire
I had pulled the trigger
and note, I had gone through 2.5 mags with no issue
and it was at least 3 sec after when this happened, I had time to drop the mag
and my hands are small enough that I can't have my finger in the trigger guard and hit the mag release
I spent months researching how this could occur before I disassembled the Glock to replace the connector
I read on a Glock forum of the condition called trigger connector resistance which can cause this situation
this is why I installed the GHOST trigger connector
all this was discussed with the investigator
IF it had happened 10 msec different time, then my hand would not have been there and I wouldn't be writing this with 2 fingers
I've put hundreds of rounds through this Glock after replacing the connector and have not had any other issues
and there is a significant smoother tripper pull with the Ghost connector

why was my hand in front of the muzzle? first question the police asked
in 30 years of firing semi auto pistols, I racked the slide by bringing my left hand up past the muzzle to grab the slide
never had an issue before, my hand is only in front of the muzzle for about 10 mec
I have since trained myself to rack the slide from the rear, had to install wings on the glock to be able to do this with my weak hand now
also, the Glock is the only pistol I have that will fire with the mag out, on my Smiths and 1911, dropping the mag safeties the firearm
muscle memory for too many years on a 1911, in my mind, the firearm was safe

trigger connector resistance

Huh. Never heard of that. I'll have to look it up.

First blush... resistance on the trigger pull would only cause a hard trigger pull. The connector ledge (controls the amount of resistance on the trigger pull, it's designed to do that, and the bar snaps back over the ledge on reset) and the trigger bar drives the trigger bar cruciform, releasing the striker. I don't see how the trigger shoe can be all the way back w/o immediately firing. I'm puzzled but I'll look it up. :)

Last Edited:
first, the trigger was gritty from day one 8 years ago
second, yes it was a mixture of parts, Gen 3 trigger with Gen 4 connector, but I found no reference that this was not safe
the Gen 3 trigger was installed within weeks of buying the Glock and did not present any issues even before the 9mm conversion

every question your asking, I asked myself time and time again as I sat home with my hand wrapped in bandages
in retrospect, I should have just traded the G22 for a gen 3 G17 8 years ago, but it works fine now

put in a Gen 3 trigger, since I didn't like the Gen 4

It was probably a hangfire, but I thought using a gen3 trigger in gen4 was not recommended, even though it works. The gen 4 has the bump that is sure to contact the firing pin safety while the gen3 does not.

trigger connector resistance

I believe this would only happen if the firing pin (where it contacts the connector) is worn or the connector is worn. If you have a spare backplate, you can cut it in half and reinstall then look at the mating surface while it is cocked.

Edited to add:

Nevermind on the second part. I am thinking of the firing pin being released by the trigger bar, not connector.

constantly threw brass to my forehead

That was a known problem with the gen4's. IIRC there is an upgraded recoil spring and ejector that somewhat remedies the problem.

Edited again:
The updated .40 ejectors are marked 28926 and apparently fix that problem

Last Edited:
I'm game to see the wound photos.

Modifying ANY firearm puts the burden on the person doing the mods, not the manufacturer.

And of course NEVER put your hand or anything else in front of the muzzle that you aren't willing to destroy.

Glad you're ok, could have been worse.

I thank you all for the replies, it's time I quit blaming the Glock and just call it a hangfire

but, the GHOST connect has given me a Glock trigger I can live with, the G22 is no longer a closet queen

first, the trigger was gritty from day one 8 years ago
second, yes it was a mixture of parts, Gen 3 trigger with Gen 4 connector, but I found no reference that this was not safe
the Gen 3 trigger was installed within weeks of buying the Glock and did not present any issues even before the 9mm conversion

every question your asking, I asked myself time and time again as I sat home with my hand wrapped in bandages
in retrospect, I should have just traded the G22 for a gen 3 G17 8 years ago, but it works fine now

Yah, I don't mean to be argumentative, I'm just scratching my head.

Can't find anything on connector resistance, other than an explanation that the angle of the connector ledge controls the resistance of the trigger pull... which we all know.

I don't think there is any diff between a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 connector, but I could be wrong. I can't find anything that says there is an issue with mixing that particular part. And I have had quite a number of diff connectors in my Glocks. Some I liked, some not so much.

Gritty trigger should not cause this problem. Might cause a jerky pull, but the geometry stays the same, and the striker is release at the same point no matter what.

I'm trying to think of what an incorrect installation of a stock connector would do but can't picture it in my mind. I do know that some people have tried to take the stock "bend" out of the connector, but again, that causes issues with the reset.

Getting kind of dialed in on your suggestion of a "hangfire"... it seems as tho the trigger functioned correctly, the striker was released, but the ammo didn't detonate right away.

Sorry, I wrote this prior to your last post. Glad you like your Ghost connector. I've used one in my G34 and have one that I love in my SR9c, which has a licensed Glock trigger system. :)

The pistol didn't shoot you. YOU shot you.
now both the Clark Co Sheriff and I disagree
on the police report for a firearm incident, they list 12 possible reasons, including "Senior Related" , I'm over 70
by law, just because you have the firearm in your possession, doesn't mean it's your fault it went off
in my case, there is a big black X in front of Accidental Discharge on the police report

according to the trauma dept at Emanuel Hospital in Portland, they see more accidental gunshot wounds from Glocks than any other pistol
since I was transitioning from a 1911 to a Glock, I know there are training difference that need to be addressed
the NYPD had over 30 accidental discharges when they transitioned to Glocks

now both the Clark Co Sheriff and I disagree
on the police report for a firearm incident, they list 12 possible reasons, including "Senior Related" , I'm over 70
by law, just because you have the firearm in your possession, doesn't mean it's your fault it went off
in my case, there is a big black X in front of Accidental Discharge on the police report

according to the trauma dept at Emanuel Hospital in Portland, they see more accidental gunshot wounds from Glocks than any other pistol
since I was transitioning from a 1911 to a Glock, I know there are training difference that need to be addressed
the NYPD had over 30 accidental discharges when they transitioned to Glocks

I think what was meant is, you wouldn't have been shot without your hand being in front of the muzzle. But yes it was accidental.

I think what was meant is, you wouldn't have been shot without your hand being in front of the muzzle. But yes it was accidental.

All of the actions, from the modifications done to putting a hand in front of the muzzle puts the incident 100% on the operator. Not the tool.

Of course the report is marked "accidental". There's no box for "negligent".

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews