JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just watched this video from Paul Harrell
he cycles the slide from the front the same way I did - his hand can't be more than a half inch different than mine was
I don't know if Paul is on this forum, and no disrespect to him, I love his videos
but I'm not the only one who cycles a semi auto from the front
he also does a very informative video on the difference between accidental dischage and negligent discharge
my finger was no where near the trigger on my Glock, it is physically impossible with my small hand to hit the mag release with my finger in the trigger guard

caliber conversions that use a cartridge smaller than the breach face are a bad idea anytime they are used... they will present problems and compromise reliability... turns a service pistol into a range toy not to be trusted...

Shoulda kept the 1911.

By the way, I've never seen or heard of a 1911 with a magazine disconnect.

Sorry about your hand, @rjmt . That's gotta suck.
it's my S&W4506 .45 that has the disconnect
still have the Glock, the 1911 and the 4506, butI shoot a VP9 now
I don't fear the Glock, just the VP 9 feels better in my hand and I prefer it's single stage trigger

and it's a year since the incident
never gained full use of my hand back, but I've learned to compensate in Life
only random pain, but the scar tissue from the muzzle blast has blocked full use of the fingers
I can still shoot all my firearms and work in my gardens, so I can't complain
besides, when your over 70, many parts of your body don't fully function

Didn't read every post, but read the first four pages. As a newcomer to guns I appreciate not only all the critical comments on gun safety, gun handling techniques, and modifications of stock Glocks. But I also want to recognize the OP as having a healthy amount of humility to share this embarrassing and painful episode in his life. People like me have learned from this thread on several fronts. When I started EDCing my G43X I decided to do a couple of mods to "lighten and smooth out the trigger", ghost connector and another mod I can't recall. With my lack of experience I think in retrospect it was stupid to mess with a perfectly functional firearm. At least I am practicing the rules of gun safety to the best of my ability. Again thanks to the OP and all you experienced shooters.

caliber conversions that use a cartridge smaller than the breach face are a bad idea anytime they are used... they will present problems and compromise reliability... turns a service pistol into a range toy not to be trusted...
I'm not going to rehash the engineering of the Glock 40 to 9 conversions, but when done well, they work fine, as mine does now
as for a service pistol - why would I ever need a service pistol up on the North Fork of the Lewis River, every firearm I have is a range toy
if I was in the position to need a service pistol, my VP9 or S&W 686 would fit the need quite well
I don't even have the need for concealed carry, much less a service pistol
unless I'm defending my garden harvest and water source from the starving masses from the Metropolitan areas when society fails and even the preppers food supply runs out
but I don't dwell on that scenario

I just watched this video from Paul Harrell
he cycles the slide from the front the same way I did - his hand can't be more than a half inch different than mine was
I don't know if Paul is on this forum, and no disrespect to him, I love his videos
but I'm not the only one who cycles a semi auto from the front
he also does a very informative video on the difference between accidental dischage and negligent discharge
my finger was no where near the trigger on my Glock, it is physically impossible with my small hand to hit the mag release with my finger in the trigger guard

*Didn't watch the whole video*

But, in the first 90seconds, you can see Paul's style. The left hand swings out in front until it makes contact with the slide. Note, the muzzle is pointed at the ground during this phase. As the pistol is raised, the left hand racks the slide.

So, I didn't see any instances of Paul muzzle flashing himself during a manipulation.

Please link a timestamp where the behavior can be seen. Thanks,

But, in the first 90seconds, you can see Paul's style. The left hand swings out in front until it makes contact with the slide. Note, the muzzle is pointed at the ground during this phase. As the pistol is raised, the left hand racks the slide.

So, I didn't see any instances of Paul muzzle flashing himself during a manipulation.

Confucius Say

"Never rack slide with meat in front of muzzle"

he does not, the point of that conversation was someone stated that NOBODY racks their slide from the front
but I counter that many do
as for position of my hand on that day, my hand was in that position for less than 1/10th of a second
I was holding the pistol about 15 deg off center, pointing at the ground, most of my hand was already past the muzzle and my finger was not in the trigger guard
the cause of the incident is believed to be a hang fire from a defective round, since the trigger was full back when it happened
the Glock had fired 2 mags before the incident and my son test fired it the next day and it still worked then
as my hand moved forward, the option of a hang fire did not occur to me since I had never experienced one in 50 years
in reading many forums, I find it is rare, but still does occur with cheap ammo
I'm not going to rehash the entire scenario from a year ago, it' well covered in this thread
memory fades with time, I have to read the early parts of this thread to remember myself
this incident took 1/10th of a second in 70 years of my life
and it's not the most dramatic injury my body has suffered in that time
it's not a point I dwell on, in fact on many mornings I wake up and wonder why my hand is stiff
I'm a revolver guy, shooting a semi auto is not my life

Resized_20190824_120848.jpeg

I had actually forgotten about this too, had to go back and reread the thread in its entirety.

@rjmt if you want to rid yourself of that sick Glock I'll take it off your hands. And it won't even leave a scar.

:D

LOLLLL
I am not afraid of the Glock that shot me
as all on this forum have convinced me, it was not the Glock, but the ammo
I still shoot it from time to time, but it's not my favorite
I never did get used to the hand position and trigger pull to accurately shoot a Glock
Give me a Smith 686 anyday
when I read the messages from shooters who say they learned from my experience and this thread, then it was all worth it to put up with the harassment and jokes from the rest of you
it really didn't hurt that bad, recovery from surgery hurt more than the original incident
which bring up a point I've told others, if your going to have to defend yourself, don't rely on a pistol
I was fully functional without pain for over 30 min afterwards, with minimal blood loss, the photo was taken more than an hour after the incident
and one can do a lot of damage in 30 min

and I was hoping for one of those neat round bullet wound scars - no such luck, my surgeon did a good job

LOLLLL
I am not afraid of the Glock that shot me
as all on this forum have convinced me, it was not the Glock, but the ammo
I still shoot it from time to time, but it's not my favorite
I never did get used to the hand position and trigger pull to accurately shoot a Glock
Give me a Smith 686 anyday
when I read the messages from shooters who say they learned from my experience and this thread, then it was all worth it to put up with the harassment and jokes from the rest of you
it really didn't hurt that bad, recovery from surgery hurt more than the original incident
which bring up a point I've told others, if your going to have to defend yourself, don't rely on a pistol
I was fully functional without pain for over 30 min afterwards, with minimal blood loss, the photo was taken more than an hour after the incident
and one can do a lot of damage in 30 min

and I was hoping for one of those neat round bullet wound scars - no such luck, my surgeon did a good job

Chicks dig scars, too bad for you. :s0140:

I think the biggest issue here is the trigger was pulled back so the striker was basically ready to go but somehow hung up. Having had some odd mechanical problems with guns I feel for you as this is a very bad situation. Gun should fire, didn't fire, but could fire. No good answer except to drop magazine all the while keeping the gun downrange, and then rack the slide (without any danger to your body).

I had a Made in USA Glock 17 that would sometimes jam upon loading the next round. Slide was almost all the way forward but not completely. This was particularly problematic because it wasn't particularly noticeable from the rear, so the gun basically went "bang, bang, click". And the slide wouldn't rack back or go forward. Eventually I could clear it but it isn't much fun trying to put pressure on a gun with a round chambered but stuck. It happened twice and I had the gun fixed and sold it. That said, all of my other Glock experiences have been fine.

I think the biggest issue here is the trigger was pulled back so the striker was basically ready to go but somehow hung up. Having had some odd mechanical problems with guns I feel for you as this is a very bad situation. Gun should fire, didn't fire, but could fire. No good answer except to drop magazine all the while keeping the gun downrange, and then rack the slide (without any danger to your body).

I had a Made in USA Glock 17 that would sometimes jam upon loading the next round. Slide was almost all the way forward but not completely. This was particularly problematic because it wasn't particularly noticeable from the rear, so the gun basically went "bang, bang, click". And the slide wouldn't rack back or go forward. Eventually I could clear it but it isn't much fun trying to put pressure on a gun with a round chambered but stuck. It happened twice and I had the gun fixed and sold it. That said, all of my other Glock experiences have been fine.

that will open up a s---t storm from the Glock guys
I proposed the same thing in the first post and was told this could not happen
I proposed the trigger was pulled and the transfer bar hung up - boy did I catch it from the Glock crowd and certified armors
I was told this was not possible
I will accept an ammo hang fire
anyway, LEGALLY, it's listed as an accidental discharge after a police investigation, 2 psych evaluation and an extensive investigation by my insurance company
one of the options on the police report is :SENIOR RELATED SHOOTING
don't go there!!!!
as I stated early in this thread, "accidental discharge" is a legal finding of what happened that affects my life, retirement and medical coverage

I proposed the trigger was pulled and the transfer bar hung up - boy did I catch it from the Glock crowd and certified armors
I was told this was not possible

Did you ever communicate with JohnnyGlock or anyone else about this? Would be interesting to get their take. I admit I didn't read every page of this thread!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top