JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I suppose I could just carry a couple of potatoes...

3e71b98a-c1de-47bb-8e22-c2896f2198d8.jpg._CB323986676_.jpg

Important first question. How DO WE recharge electronical stuff if there is either no sunlight OR WE are deep under ground some place and can not or dare not get out into the light?

The EMP dead new car with the nearly new fully charged car battery comes to mind. Just steal them in the dead of night. Have the big teenager carry them back to the deep redoubt.

But what if there are no cars or no more cars? What then. Now we are talking about the absolute need to stay underground and completely hidden from other desperate people.

This means deep underground. This also means staying there for at least 30 days to allow the people die back to occur. This sounds horrible and it is. Let the chaos happen above.

I think the best answer so far is the good mountain bicycle set up on a stable center stand connected to either a good bike type generator running into a thugged car battery. Charge the battery.

At 80 rpm a good bike rider can generate about 1/10 hp for quite awhile. That translates into quite a few watts. Make sure the bike charger can pull over 16.5 vdc at a good pedal speed.

Then use the recharged car battery to recharge whatever electronical gadgets. Considering the existing infrastructure, this might be the best use of existing resources. The kids pedal.

Do not forget to calculate the additional human body heat and the critical need for lots and lots of ventilation. Being stuck underground with no sun light will be very difficult for most of us.

Forum running very choppy and stupid.

Obviously not portable, but how about:

Steam
https://www.amazon.com/Steamist-SM-...8&sr=8-8&keywords=Steam+Electricity+Generator

or

Thermoelectric cells: Also common in wood heater fans, these use the Peltier- Seebeck effect to make DC power directly from heat. Modules of 25 to 100 watts are very expensive, and past products have suffered reliability problems from overheating.

or

Use the updraft from a wood/pellet stove to power a small generator.

Won't work for me, I need seven usb charging ports. :(
:p:D

LOL well I guess you're out of luck then! :D

Honestly though I've been thinking about getting one of these. For $119 at Frys that's a pretty good deal for that much juice. Should recharge my phone roughly 16 times on a single charge. That would keep me charged up for about a month with my usage. And if SHTF, the phone will become a "use as only absolutely necessary" device.

Late to the party,
Id probably get:
*2 battery banks/packs
(or whatever they are called) as someone has already posted.

Id also look into those
*Portable kenetic trickle chargers

as well as the
*Portable solar panels. Ive seen the portable solar panels at costco.. Just not sure about their durability. Same goes for any china made stuff like this bought online.

Lastly, in that charging kit Id probably store some spare car chargers and other adapters to plug into car chargers.. Odds are the batteries will be taken out of any vehicles.. But its worth while to have spare cables to try and plug stuff in or have as replacements.

Obviously not portable, but how about:

Steam
https://www.amazon.com/Steamist-SM-...8&sr=8-8&keywords=Steam+Electricity+Generator

or

Thermoelectric cells: Also common in wood heater fans, these use the Peltier- Seebeck effect to make DC power directly from heat. Modules of 25 to 100 watts are very expensive, and past products have suffered reliability problems from overheating.

or

Use the updraft from a wood/pellet stove to power a small generator.

Thermoelectric could be a great idea, if there are some good, reliable products out there - considering heating for cooking and warmth, it would be a good option for charging. Unfortunately, it seems about as unlikely as a portable fuel cell at the moment. Sucks sometimes waiting for good tech ideas to really get out to us little people.

Looks like a good one for the price, if it's reliable. May be a bit large for a GHB/BOB, but as a backup at home or in a vehicle, it could be a great way to go.

I didn't see anything about this on their website - but can that device be recharged from a 12V vehicle accessory jack? Or just from a 120VAC outlet?

Forum running very choppy and stupid

I added an ad blocker for now - at least until the video ad issue gets solved - was quite annoying. For now, with the uBlock ad block, it's running like normal again. I'll shut it down when the issue here gets fixed.

Looks like a good one for the price, if it's reliable. May be a bit large for a GHB/BOB, but as a backup at home or in a vehicle, it could be a great way to go.

I didn't see anything about this on their website - but can that device be recharged from a 12V vehicle accessory jack? Or just from a 120VAC outlet?

I don't know that, but it being over 40 amps I don't think I'd want to charge it off a start battery.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top