JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking for a while to find some kind of small, portable charger I could use for electronic items such as cell phones, in a long-term emergency. I've looked at solar chargers and those can be an option, but they can get quite large and may not be the most effective depending on the weather.

I've seen plenty of hand-cranked emergency radios that supposedly can charge electronic devices, but upon closer scrutiny, these devices are not what they promise and most, if not all, have a pretty fair share of negative reviews. Even the top-rated models seem to do no better than 3-3.5 stars - hardly a raving endorsement.

I am also aware of the pre-charged USB charging sticks/battery banks you can use to top your phone off, but those require you to make sure they're always charged, and once they've been used, they're done until you can recharge them again, so, not my first choice.

So, have any of you come across a small, say hand-cranked charger that could fit in a GHB/BOB without taking a huge amount of space, but could reliably provide at least reasonable charging capability for small electronic items? My searches to date seem to be coming up empty in this regard, so maybe you more experienced folks might have some ideas.

I think that you pretty much covered all the bases. Solar too big and slow, power packs are usually too heavy(the ones with a decent capacity and storage life) and hand cranks too bulky.
Maybe someday the powers that be will bestow the fuel cells to the public where you just have to pour water in to start generating power. Until then i opt for a power pack. There are some that are fairly easy to pack. I got my kids clip on power banks for their back packs. There's enough power for several charges if they need it. Last year I bought an Easyacc 20000mAh ruggedized power bank. Carried it all over Japan. It wasn't a big deal. It just goes and goes. It fast charged my BlackBerry and tablet daily with no problems. It depends what one is willing to prioritize in terms of weight and importance in the GHB. Don't forget power cords, usb adapters, etc. Next thing you know the GHB turns into a wheeled carry on bag.

IMG_20170928_105724.png

I think that you pretty much covered all the bases. Solar too big and slow, power packs are usually too heavy(the ones with a decent capacity and storage life) and hand cranks too bulky.
Maybe someday the powers that be will bestow the fuel cells to the public where you just have to pour water in to start generating power. Until then i opt for a power pack. There are some that are fairly easy to pack. I got my kids clip on power banks for their back packs. There's enough power for several charges if they need it. Last year I bought an Easyacc 20000mAh ruggedized power bank. Carried it all over Japan. It wasn't a big deal. It just goes and goes. It fast charged my BlackBerry and tablet daily with no problems. It depends what one is willing to prioritize in terms of weight and importance in the GHB. Don't forget power cords, usb adapters, etc. Next thing you know the GHB turns into a wheeled carry on bag.

View attachment 394093

I do have a smaller 2,000mAh power pack, and it does work well - it will almost fully charge an iPhone from about 25%. The main concern is making sure it's already topped off when you need it most.

I've got a 15,000mah power pack that is thin enough to fit in a pocket and will fully charge my phone 5-6 times.

Might I ask what you need charged?

Phones would be useless if SHTF because the networks will be down too.

Small flashlights that run on AAA battery's could last days/weeks with just a few backup battery's.

Not trying to be devils advocate but I can't think of anything I'd need for a couple day trip home that involves anything other then a couple AAA battery's...

Maps and contacts can be printed and laminated etc. I see no use for a phone or anything USB depedant.

Nice piece of tech. Though the BioLite Wood Burning CampStove looks a little bulky, it might fit your requirements. I've never used one, but the concept seems kinda nice. It seems like it would be ideal for here in the northwest if you had a requirement to power portable devices frequently out in the woods and couldn't use solar.

Nice piece of tech. Though the BioLite Wood Burning CampStove looks a little bulky, it might fit your requirements. I've never used one, but the concept seems kinda nice. It seems like it would be ideal for here in the northwest if you had a requirement to power portable devices frequently out in the woods and couldn't use solar.

I would personally go with the Version 1 without the battery pack in it. Battery's always have a shelf life but the one without it should technically work forever. And it's lighter to carry.

Small flashlights that run on AAA battery's could last days/weeks with just a few backup battery's.

Not trying to be devils advocate but I can't think of anything I'd need for a couple day trip home that involves anything other then a couple AAA battery's...

Maps and contacts can be printed and laminated etc. I see no use for a phone or anything USB depedant.

Phones may be out for several days, but likely will be available for at least texting in the short term. There are a lot of portable cells available to move into disaster areas - I've seen some of the plans for that just in the PDX area alone.

Part of my company's disaster plan is an emergency texting service that will operate one step below emergency responders so they can communicate with employees on emergency events and have them check in as to their status.

That aside, I consider my phone more than just for calls or texts. I can use it to store important information, contact info, even how to stuff so I don't have to carry a bunch of papers with me. I can use it to play music to pass the time. I could, if needed record photos or videos of important things like damage to my vehicle, etc.

Since I don't wear a watch, my phone is also my clock, alarm, calendar and timer/reminder.

Honestly, I think there are a lot of potential uses for these electronic marvels in a disaster situation.

Phones may be out for several days, but likely will be available for at least texting in the short term. There are a lot of portable cells available to move into disaster areas - I've seen some of the plans for that just in the PDX area alone.

Part of my company's disaster plan is an emergency texting service that will operate one step below emergency responders so they can communicate with employees on emergency events and have them check in as to their status.

That aside, I consider my phone more than just for calls or texts. I can use it to store important information, contact info, even how to stuff so I don't have to carry a bunch of papers with me. I can use it to play music to pass the time. I could, if needed record photos or videos of important things like damage to my vehicle, etc.

Since I don't wear a watch, my phone is also my clock, alarm, calendar and timer/reminder.

Honestly, I think there are a lot of potential uses for these electronic marvels in a disaster situation.

I can see your point.

I just don't like relying on one thing to do so many tasks. Phone goes down or gets wet and you loose all of those things vs laminated paper copies and a $20 watch in your bag weighing about as much as your phone does.

That's just me.

If you already carry a portable charger then I'd think that was enough to get you home as is.

Everybody packs different though so I hope you find what's ideal for you;)

These are amazing, we own 4 of them. Jump start almost any vehicle and tons of USB power. I jump started my Suburban during the snow storm last winter, it was in the teens outside. Then the next day I did it again on my way to pick up a new battery, I had not even charged it since the prior use. After 2 jumps it was still at 65% charged. That sold me so i got one for every vehicle in the family.
https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-18000...5&sr=1-9&keywords=Multi-function+Jump+Starter

also since I got mine they've come out with a new more powerful one, I havent played with one yet though
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY35D93

These are amazing, we own 4 of them. Jump start almost any vehicle and tons of USB power. I jump started my Suburban during the snow storm last winter, it was in the teens outside. Then the next day I did it again on my way to pick up a new battery, I had not even charged it since the prior use. After 2 jumps it was still at 65% charged. That sold me so i got one for every vehicle in the family.
https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-18000...5&sr=1-9&keywords=Multi-function+Jump+Starter

also since I got mine they've come out with a new more powerful one, I havent played with one yet though
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY35D93

That's pretty cool. A bit large for a GHB/BOB, but certainly would be good for home or vehicle emergency kits. Definitely will look closer at that one.

I can see your point.

I just don't like relying on one thing to do so many tasks. Phone goes down or gets wet and you loose all of those things vs laminated paper copies and a $20 watch in your bag weighing about as much as your phone does.

That's just me.

If you already carry a portable charger then I'd think that was enough to get you home as is.

Everybody packs different though so I hope you find what's ideal for you;)

Agreed, over reliance on tech can be a bad thing. And I do plan for other alternatives, but would like to keep the phone up and running as much as possible.

I also try to think of the worst case scenario. Say I'm at work, it would likely take me 2-3 days, conservatively, to get home. But I may have to cross a river or two to get home, and that could delay days or longer. With that in mind, I start thinking about batteries and pre-charged battery packs running down. Perhaps a bit over cautious, but that tends to be my nature.

View attachment 394134
I have them. They work but like I said be careful not to crank it too fast!

So, does it charge other devices, like a phone, while you crank it? Or does it only charge the internal battery, which you can then use to charge other devices? Seems the ones I've looked at so far won't actively charge external devices while cranking - you have to charge the internal battery first, then plug in your external devices - meaning longer time from crank to charge.

So, does it charge other devices, like a phone, while you crank it? Or does it only charge the internal battery, which you can then use to charge other devices? Seems the ones I've looked at so far won't actively charge external devices while cranking - you have to charge the internal battery first, then plug in your external devices - meaning longer time from crank to charge.
Correct. Charge the internal battery then your electronics. I have one strapped to my B.O.B. and just walk around. Charge the electronic early evening and then crank it at night for the radio feature.

Last Edited:

you are spoiling the sport of preparedness.;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top