JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been hearing this for 40 years.

Mel Tappan and others predicted imminent and inevitable doom back in the 70s.

Didn't happen.

Come back in two years and tell me I am wrong.

I have an ongoing "Threads of Doom" thread on SurvivalistBoards.com where I collect these kinds of threads. Most of them are over 3 years old. Most of them predict "doom in the next six months", which has long since passed.:rolleyes:

I heard it back in the 60s:p and it still hasn't happened. Wonder how much money has been spent on this fear?

I doubt anyone in their right mind would attempt to confiscate all the guns in America... So I guess we should be worried.

I heard it back in the 60s:p and it still hasn't happened. Wonder how much money has been spent on this fear?
Enough to almost bankrupt me.

Back in the late 90s, I was in over my head in credit card debt. I was using one card to pay off the other. A lot of that was buying guns and ammo as fast as I could.

Then I got laid off and I couldn't make the payments.

A quick loan from my brother, some sweating it out, then finally finding another job, convinced me that paying off all my debt was more important than having guns and ammo - unemployment being much more likely (and at least a precursor to) than a total economic collapse. It took ten years (during that time I was unemployed again for a total of over 3 years, once for two years straight), but I finally paid off all of my debt and saved up enough to help my kids make a down payment on a house, then for me to make a down payment on my current property.

I may have a mortgage now (a house on 20 forested acres on a mountain), but my total net worth is positive and my equity in my property is almost as much as what I owe on it - at least in theory.

I've been through a number of recessions. My parents and grandparents lived through the great depression - they not only survived, they thrived; they went from being itinerant farmers to owning and operating several large farms.

To me, economic collapse is nothing compared to what we face in about 30 to 50 years; the peak carrying capacity of the earth being exceeded. Eventually that will happen - I hate to say it, but it is inevitable; people keep reproducing and using more and more natural resources, eventually we will run out of energy, arable land and potable water. We are over-fishing our oceans and polluting them to boot. We are fracking to get oil and polluting our aquifers while draining them down faster than they can replenish and causing earthquakes to boot. We are causing, at least in part, climate change which causes droughts and wildfires at the same time it causes floods.

This is happening now and has been happening for quite a while actually, not tomorrow. We are in the middle of a the fecal matter hitting the fan, our face is right in it, and half the USA is denying it is happening because their political handlers are taking bribes from the big corporations making profits from it, not caring about the future of our children.

In less than 30 years I will be long dead - why do I care?

Because I have a daughter. I don't want her to starve or die of thirst in 30 years. She is who I prep for, not myself.

I could die tomorrow from a heart attack or a stroke while out splitting wood. I could die next year from throat or colon cancer (I am at high risk for both of these, and other cancers). That or a number of other things I am at high risk for in the next ten to 20 years (alzheimers, parkinsons, etc.).

That is my reality. Yours too if you live long enough. Nobody is getting out of this alive.

Long time ago I realized people pump out fear more because they want it to happen than any possibility it will. Time after time they come up with crap like y2k or 2012 and really it's just their wishful thinking. They just don't like the world they live in.

Don't blame them, the politicions have pretty much destroyed our world. They are so corrupt it's got to the point we really could have a break down. Myself I approach it like insuring an old car, I do the minimum it takes to make sure I have something to protect myself and family.

Everyone has fear, it can control your life or you can live with it but it should never stop you from living.

Collectivism, in all it's forms is the greatest threat to the planet
th?id=OIP.M670fafb091ce2e6d71d6d92202a2a3f3H0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=174&h=166.jpg
That and Gingers

Look at the side bars on that sight.
All trying to sell preppers the things they will "need".so a person should take anything they print with a grain of salt.
As far as credit goes,I hate payments of any kind. Well most every will have some type of mortgage,so I don't mind my small house payment.
Car payments are bad. Credit cards are about the stupidest thing you can do unless it's an emergency (but you should have had a savings plan)
Now with all the talk of the economic collapse,if you had a crystal ball and knew exactly how far away it was,it wouldn't be bad to do what Heretic did.
He obviously didn't look at his crystal ball.lol But anyway,if the collapse was around the short corner,why not run up all the credit you could muster and buy all the goods you may need for said collapse?
What you don't have a crystal ball? Yeah,me neither.
BUT! you could treat it like a real estate class. When someone says they don't have any money to invest,the guy asks if they have a TV,a second car,anything that could be sold.
This could be where you start your preps.Sell the things you may not really need or be using all that much.
I know watching...I can't even tell you what the most popular TV show is right now,oh yeah,watching the View is that important,but maybe the TV could get you a months worth of canned goods?
I don't buy into the financial collapse that much. I believe the last thing the big oligarchs want to do is let their cash cow (the US) falter.
So we will be the last country to fall:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads