JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I finished this 16mm scale ex-South African Railways [SAR] brake car [think caboose] last Friday, so it had to have a test run before it takes to the tracks over at our main railway.

It's made of styrene and wood with a few brass bits. Decals are from a gentleman in Prescott AZ [hi there, Stan!]. there are 567 separately-applied teeny rivets there, too.....

Right now it is the only one in the world at this scale. The loco, BTW, is a live-steam, gas-fired [butane] radio-controlled model of a 2ft gauge SAR Beyer-Garratt loco.

tac

I play around with a scroll saw once in awhile. Up until last year I sold ornaments and a few other things at holiday bazaars.

IMG_0001 - Copy (3).JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

Wow! Getting caught up on this thread was fun. Love seeing all the non-gun stuff everyone does

I took a break from bike racing and climbing this last year, mostly because the wife HATES my passions. She has a multitude of reasons, and I have to admit that I don't disagree with some of them. I also felt like God basically TOLD me not to race the road season last year, 3 days before the start of the season.. felt like He was telling me I was investing too much of my life, subtracting too much from family and business, on training for racing, and that I needed to take a year off to invest in family and business. So I did. Worked hard, loved my people... and now I'm back at it.

The wife is just going to have to accept, after 13 years together, that her man is a passionate mother-bubblegumer, and I NEED outlets for it. I absolutely crave thrill and conquest.. and if I can't do that on bikes or in the mountains, I'm just gonna end up doing it with drugs and other women or who knows what else. Don't pen your man up, ladies. Bad bubblegum happens.

From this weekend's 2-day stage race Gorge Roubaix in The Dalles:

0015398-ZF-5492-52741-1-001_zpsx17qdgwe.jpg

(I'm #362)

Absolutely brilliant race, both days... all this wet weather we've had, the typically rocky-brown wasteland that is the area was instead rolling hill after hill of green and patches of wildflowers stretching into the horizons. Sun was bright, temps were warm but not hot, and the race course was fantastic... climbs were just the right grade to be grueling but still fast and highly contentious, descents were STEEP and curvy... I clocked max speeds in excess of 53mph on day 1, coming back down into the Gorge... so rad. Drank and ate to our fill at night, stumbling to the start lines in the morning.. one of the best weekends of my life.

Cool video the race promoter put together:

I didn't do that great... 15th of 89 on day 1, 20th of 61 on day two. Still ahead of the peloton on both days, finishing in breakaway groups... so totally respectable finishes, even if I didn't earn any upgrade points (would have needed to top-10 or top-8, respectively, with this many starters). But I didn't do any pre-season training this year - now that I'm back in the saddle, I'm sure I'll catch up by mid-season and be podiuming.

No... never even heard of it, actually. That's pretty doggon short, though...

The only non-race ride I do is De Ronde Portlandia (The Tour of Portland) - 100 miles, 18,000' of climbing... West Hills on day 1 (Van West), Mount Scott/SE hills day 2 (Van Oost)

It's a bit much, but it's fun to do something brutal like that in a non-competitive fashion, because those of us that DO race still race it - so competition is incredibly fierce amongst the few front riders. I finished top 5 on day 2 last year (since it wasn't an official "race," I was allowed to go).. mid-pack on day 1, but I was riding with a slow teammate that day.

I manage a racetrack. I'd say its my job, but is it really a job when you wake up and are excited to go to work every day?
Oregon Raceway Park

View attachment 287118 View attachment 287119 View attachment 287120

Ok, ok I'm envious now lol.:D

Dug out the paintball gear because my daughter is going for the first time today - hates guns so wth??, made way more sense when I found out that the guy she is interested in is going as well.

I haven't been in quite a few years and if I hadn't just started a family then I would have most likely been on a professional team with my best mate 18 years ago when I ran an indoor arena.

Free paint, free gear and guns, weekly practices, paid travel and expenses - would have been fun but I wouldn't trade it for what I had going on for the world.

Just a little glad the old war chest got to see the light of day again.

Sold my custom tuned RT Mag back before my daughter turned 1 but kept my phantom pumps and all the gizmos if I were ever to go play again; that won't be until I can run from one bunker to the other first though:p.

Don't like to take selfies but I snapped a pic for old times sake for my wife and figured I'd share it here.

(Not sure if paintball is a hobbie other then guns but I was massively into it 2 decades ago)

image.jpeg

I've had my time with sport bikes, RC airplanes, RC helicopters, golfing, disc golfing, and camping among a plethora of other short interests. Currently a hiker with a gun and tags but I've yet to become a hunter.

Honestly, my family and dog are my hobbies I guess.

@Ben Beckerich, so true about tying your man down. Best thing my wife ever said was (20 years ago), "I understand you have hobbies I'm not interested much in and need your guy time, just remember that your daughter and I are at home waiting for you when you have time". My "out and about" days/nights ended pretty soon after that because it was my choice and not an ultimatum. Kid just hit college and the wife is working and now also going back to school so other then the house and yard work I have to figure out how to stay on top of, I'm a taxi for the wife and kid and the rest of the time is mine.

Shooting is getting a little spendy for my limited budget so I may grab the golf discs and go hit some parks with the dog and try to get my aim back. Plus it's a lot of walking;)

I manage a racetrack. I'd say its my job, but is it really a job when you wake up and are excited to go to work every day?
Oregon Raceway Park

That's awesome! We did lemons or chump car race out there a few years back. Threw a rod through the side of our engine, stayed up all night piecing together another one from a spare bottom end, and then finished the race the next day. The engine we pieced together in the lot ran stronger than the one we had in there originally! Went on to survive five more races.

Don't like to take selfies but I snapped a pic for old times sake for my wife and figured I'd share it here.

(Not sure if paintball is a hobbie other then guns but I was massively into it 2 decades ago)

View attachment 289546

Looks a lot like me geared up to battle wasps! :s0113:

Went into my brother's 2nd story apartment while he was out of town, not noticing the wasp nest built between the front door and the screen. Made it inside and then found I was trapped! Had to make due with whatever he had. Made it out and walked to the feed n seed for wasp spray before giving the neighbors a hilarious display of my inexperience in dealing with wasps.

IMG_2248.JPG

If you can reach the nest, wait until dark and they're all home. Then, bag the nest and fumigate it outside.:p

No drama involved. ;)

Thanks for the tip! I think I just stopped by to pick something up on my way to other plans, probably around noon :s0112:

I like too cook and eat :)

I roasted this 90lbs hog 2 weeks ago:

My friends and I get together every year during the "winter" to make home made sausages:

I just got done making this, I am heading over to a friend's house in a few:

Hungarian lamb paprikash:

I salt cure and smoke my own bacon:

Pork shoulder roast:

I can pretty much make anything from real Southern buttermilk fried chicken to Korean barbecue the way it's made there :)

DSC_1582_zpsqwp0czln.jpg DSC_1088_zpsthrjnyfe.jpg DSC_1628_zpsdnagcn5j.jpg DSC_5490.jpg DSC_0004%201_zps5pu3bso1.jpg 5cf235d3.jpg

Uhg... I wish I had access to some hog hunting:(

yeah me too. I heard about hog hunting in Southern Oregon or Northern California. Not sure which type of hogs they have, the domestic pigs in the wild or the Russian ones. Both can be mean and charge you if wounded. My dilemma would be which rifle to bring, the G3 clone or the Mauser :) My guess is that the hippies in Commiefornia would freak out about the killer "assault rifle" so it would have to be the Mauser :) Since this is a picture thread:

20160108_153550_zpskn1u0x2m.jpg

yeah me too. I heard about hog hunting in Southern Oregon or Northern California. Not sure which type of hogs they have, the domestic pigs in the wild or the Russian ones. Both can be mean and charge you if wounded. My dilemma would be which rifle to bring, the G3 clone or the Mauser :) My guess is that the hippies in Commiefornia would freak out about the killer "assault rifle" so it would have to be the Mauser :) Since this is a picture thread:
Yeeeaaahhhh,I wouldn't bring my cetme to Cali any time soon;)

I have played around with photography for 65+ years and I recently treated myself to a new lens for my Nikon D7000. I haven't really been out with it yet but did shoot some pictures around home to check it out.
Here are the test shots with the Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 beast.

Puffin
Puffin0709c.jpg

Murphy
Murphy3.jpg

Hydrangea at 200mm
A200mm.jpg

Hydrangea at 500mm
A500.jpg

The outfit
Lens_1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show