JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This has been around, but I saw this topic posted on ARF Com. and I know we have a number of talented people on this site. :)

One of my hobbies other than firearms and boating maybe rather mundane to most people, but I collect
Paper Airplanes and books about building, Folded/ Origami and Laminated, flying Paper Airplanes. :s0092:

Being an, "Ole Fart", I still remember the glider cut-outs on the backs of the Wheaties boxes that you stuffed with cotton and put a penny in the nose

Last Edited:
Love paper airplanes.

At times I teach my students how to make several styles of paper airplanes....
They we fly 'em in the gym or outside.
This is followed by a discussion of why one flew fast...the other slow ...why did one do loops or stall , etc...
A fun and easy lesson on aerodynamics , engineering , design , physics....

Oh...and those balsa wood planes were a great way to spend summer vacation as a kid... :D
Andy

Gardening has been fairly enjoyable since putting in a bunch of planters. Growing directly from seeds all the way to home made salsa or whatever we use the fruit and veggies for.

I've always had a soft spot for radio control cars and flying things. Tech has advanced so much since I tinkered with them. However they are still very entertaining and enjoyable to play with and fix and or modify.

Im always looking for other things to keep my mind occupied so I look forward to this threads success.

Years ago in the midst of the, "Slot Car" rage I used to love to do night time cross country races. Some of the tracks were very sophisticated. There were even, "Drag Strips". :eek:

Besides sewing stuff... I like Lego vintage Space themes;

20220703_125835.jpg 20220303_173308.jpg

Drawing Sci fi things like Star Wars and inspired designs; 20220114_200118.jpg 20210808_220241.jpg
And figure drawing/painting;
20201207_093826.jpg

This has been around, but I saw this topic posted on ARF Com. and I know we have a number of talented people on this site. :)

One of my hobbies other than firearms and boating maybe rather mundane to most people, but I collect
Paper Airplanes and books about building, Folded/ Origami and Laminated, flying Paper Airplanes. :s0092:

Being an, "Ole Fart", I still remember the glider cut-outs on the backs of the Wheaties boxes that you stuffed with cotton and put a penny in the nose

I'll have to look into this. One of my planes went close to a mile, caught a thermal and returned, but that was off of the top of a 12 story building. :cool:

The paper plane they show looks like nothing more than a, "School Boy's Dart", pretty simplistic. It will stall and fall out of the air as soon as it looses flying speed. They also talk about a, "special launch" but nothing is shown in the article unless you buy their magazine. :s0158: POO on them

Picked up astronomy not too long ago. Other hobby I've had a life long interest (20+ years) is Remote Viewing. Finally had the chance to find a mentor and start practicing this. RV is very real.

Nothing for me. I read a little and garden some though outside of work, guns and gun related activities are about 95% of my life. I'm sure it annoys my friends and try not to bring it up around them.

Picked up astronomy not too long ago. Other hobby I've had a life long interest (20+ years) is Remote Viewing. Finally had the chance to find a mentor and start practicing this. RV is very real.
Tell me what's on the middle shelf, far left side of my safe including color, make model and serial number if applicable and you can have it for free

Tell me what's on the middle shelf, far left side of my safe including color, make model and serial number if applicable and you can have it for free
I wish I was that good, even some of the best cannot call out numbers.

To describe what you see is like trying to describe what you saw in your dreams. Nothing is crystal clear and everything is hazy.

I was never very athletic or very mechanically inclined. Two things I excel at are walking and getting lost, sometimes both at the same time. Now I spend a lot of my free wandering the woods. In the spring I cover quite a bit of ground searching for antlers. In the fall it's searching for chanterelles, deer, elk and grouse. I set trail cameras out year round to capture pictures of whatever is laughing at me during hunting season. After many years spending outdoors I almost feel like I'm starting to get the hang of whatever it is I'm trying to accomplish out there. Some pics for proof.

20230410_110551.jpg 20230410_110539.jpg IMG_20230402_224957_568.jpg 20221115_144950.jpg

Guitar, a couple woodwinds including bagpipes in a pipe band under a high level pipe major, hiking and camping, paddleboarding, light construction, sci-fi, RPG games, brewing and mead making, golf, baseball, and travel. I have many interests but nothing keeps my attention for a long duration. I bounce around.

Last Edited:
Retired and wanted something outdoors to do that wasn't governed by having a license or waiting to draw a permit or limited to seasons. Started rock hunting while fishing and scouting. Turned in to an exercise plan. Took stuff home I found interesting then started with books and people who have knowledge. Now have power tumblers, polishing wheels and a specialized drill press and wet saws. Started with a conventional tile saw and graduated to a lapidary saw. My wife wire wraps rocks and makes pendant after I've drilled holes. We don't sell anything but make attractive gifts.

In three years have found fossils, agates, crystals and one sample that has baffled lifetime rockhounds and some geologists. Just wish I'd paid attention while living in Oregon. Have hiked, hunted and fished in places known for unique rocks and didn't pay attention.

Some samples I have weren't special till I cut them open and polished the surfaces. Drag home old bones and one whole burro skull. Found a 100 year old fuel can that isn't rusted out, has no bullet holes and the mechanical lid still functions. I tumble pieces of glass and they look like sea glass from the Oregon coast. Now have rocks inside the home, around the driveway, and displayed in the shop. You don't need the lapidary equipment or a guide to find and enjoy the uniqueness of the discoveries.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews