JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've carried my Para P14 .45ACP with 18+1 under a winter coat. But today my hands are like granny hands so I carry what I can stand to practice with... 9mm. Someday I'll be down to .22lr prolly. Then that nad shot will start to seem good.
Or maybe I sneak up on em and give em a wet Willie! ;)

Also something to consider is the person's will to live.
I have seen men in combat , stop fighting with what would be called "light wounds"...other men who have been struck and should have been dead...kept on fighting....
This is described as "surrender death". Cases exist where someone, with a less than fatal wound, would look at the wound and say, "I'm shot and would literally die after uttering these words". Many studies have undertaken regarding this and all of the studies, that I have read, indicate that we as humans have different levels of desire to survive.

What about shotplacement with a 500 magnum. Does it matter vs lets say... 9mm.

Lets say.... You have 1 shot. Center of mass. Choose 500mag or 9mm.
How much time do I have to aim? What am I aiming at and how far away is it? Have I been injured? Can I shoot with my strong arm or will it have to be my weak arm? Is there blood in my eyes? Have I had a head injury and can't see very well? How many targets do I have and are they armed and shooting at me? Do I have cover? Is the gun sighted in for me or someone else? Is it sighted in for the ammo I am shooting?

Yes placement matters - a lot!

This is described as "surrender death". Cases exist where someone, with a less than fatal wound, would look at the wound and say, "I'm shot and would literally die after uttering these words". Many studies have undertaken regarding this and all of the studies, that I have read, indicate that we as humans have different levels of desire to survive.
I'm almost at zero today... don't wanna see what USA is like in a few more years!!!

How much time do I have to aim? What am I aiming at and how far away is it? Have I been injured? Can I shoot with my strong arm or will it have to be my weak arm? Is there blood in my eyes? Have I had a head injury and can't see very well? How many targets do I have and are they armed and shooting at me? Do I have cover? Is the gun sighted in for me or someone else? Is it sighted in for the ammo I am shooting?

I think individuals that have never been in a super stressful situation involving a firearm and protecting yourself just don't understand tell they have been there

97rg53tu6nj81.jpg

You are chilling on the couch and have a 9mm and a 500mag infront of you. 10ft away from the frontdoor where someone busts in...

Id shoot the one 9mm first for placement and thrn grab the 500.

20210617_172414.jpg

You are chilling on the couch and have a 9mm and a 500mag infront of you. 10ft away from the frontdoor where someone busts in...

View attachment 1139098
For me that scenario is even easier. I'd just tell the PitaRottaHusk to lay off once her new squeeky toy stops making noise then call 911 for a "cleanup on aisle 3".

View attachment 1139098
I have a SIG Mk25 in 9mm handy and a 460V

I will grab the 9mm and extra mags/ammo and not even think about the 460V.

But I will grab the Shockwave before either one because it is loaded and waiting.

Has anyone watched yankee marshals video about shot placement or power? If so how many out there disagree with him like myself?
The false argument of our age is "either...or" A .25ACP center mass may eventually kill a perpetrator. Certainly has in many cases. Do we have the luxury of time to wait for the threat to be neutralized? Therefore, "both...and" is more appropriate.
Just as the liquor world has R&R, the defense world has P&P - power and placement.
However, from most vids, placement is somewhere in the next county, so power does not matter.

41VTPqXz35L._SX367_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
If you have never read this book, or the other two books by the same authors which followed this one, then please do so. The books detail in a graphic discussion the effectiveness of most handgun commercial loadings. The authors also discuss the amount of time a person can still fight on after receiving a fatal round in the kill zone. The authors did a tremendous amount of research into real life shootings. These books contain much of their research data and provide lots of very interesting information.
Here is a source for this book.

Free stopping power study by Ellifritz:

Last Edited:
Ok. Time to confess. And this was a great opener.
Once upon a time I shot a deer. Muley in Central Oregon. He dropped like a rock.
When we got on him, my buddy joked about a lousy - but lucky shot. Got him directly in the neck base...
He thought I was aiming for a lung shot.

I was aiming for the neck. Right where I shot him.
If I missed? - Either neck or air.

I'm over chasing stressed dear and hauling them back... And I've tasted the difference in a meat that never stressed...

So... glad that's off my chest.

I'm EHJ - and I aim for the neck. :)
And it makes more rib meat for the table. Neck shots are smart hunting In my opinion.

Has anyone watched yankee marshals video about shot placement or power? If so how many out there disagree with him like myself?
Blocked the dude on YouTube. He loves to hear himself talk and is the expert in all things and is never wrong. Says he's the first to acknowledge when he's wrong but refused to apologize after he accused a fellow tuber of stolen valor and then was proven wrong.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews