JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking about building a three sided shooting shack similar in design to the buildings at Tri County but for one or two benches. The main goal would be to minimize the shooting noise from the neighbors. Shelter from the weather will be a secondary benefit. Any economical ideas on how to maximize noise suppression with such a building?

If you stack large tire (semi or tractor) like a giant suppressor and shoot though them. It really reduces the amount of noise the neighbors will hear.

Arpc building are horrible it be inside while someone is shoot high caliber. Basically you don't want a tin box

Here are some images, not forever situation

Screenshot_20200518-162654_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200518-162741_Chrome.jpg

Someone with a stronger understanding of law, please explain to me how that design isn't by the letter of the law a suppressor? Being detached? Static? I am sure it is legal, just curious by what mechanism that is the case.

"(24) The terms ''firearm silencer'' and ''firearm muffler'' mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intend. "

Edit: Nevermind. There is a ATF white paper floating around that clarifies because it is both detached and static, it is not a suppressor

Last Edited:
Someone with a stronger understanding of law, please explain to me how that design isn't by the letter of the law a suppressor? Being detached? Static? I am sure it is legal, just curious by what mechanism that is the case.

"(24) The terms ''firearm silencer'' and ''firearm muffler'' mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intend. "

Edit: Nevermind. There is a ATF white paper floating around that clarifies because it is both detached and static, it is not a suppressor
so say a guy form 1s his truck under a trust and threads the door and drills an exit hole. since the truck isnt static could it be a suppressor?

asking for a guy who doesnt want his truck lost to his wife in the divorce

:rolleyes:

Here are some images, not forever situation

View attachment 698468 View attachment 698469
I read up on the whole tire thing but I am inclined to stick with a building. I have a nearly unlimited supply of logs for framing and some metal roofing materials on site. Insulation if needed would be the expensive part. I am still trying to figure how sound moves through different materials. Do walls need to be tightly sealed (caulked). I have noticed at the Gun Club that when approaching the buildings with only ear plugs in, that the sound isn't too bad until you step in to the building. Once you step in to the building it's a whole other level of noise, that's when the muffs go on for me.

The wife is going back down to the property with me on next trip and she is going to fire some random firearms while I am in the vicinity of the neighbors east of my place. The nearest part time neighbors are about 250yds as the crow flies, The closest permenate (legally addressed) neighbors are about 600yds away (as the crow files).

Edit: the neighbors about a half mile to the west of me are closer to a cinder pit where many locals shoot. They were bothered by the noise until they got new windows and that reduced the noise substantially inside their home. The shooting still bothers their many dogs who spend most of the day in outside enclosure. They are less then 500 yards from cinder pit. They tolerate it partly because their son likes to shoot up at the pit when he is visiting.

Last Edited:
If you stack large tire (semi or tractor) like a giant suppressor and shoot though them. It really reduces the amount of noise the neighbors will hear.

Arpc building are horrible it be inside while someone is shoot high caliber. Basically you don't want a tin box
I just looked at ARPC buildings on their website, and that's the basic design I was looking at. I would use wood materials for walls but otherwise the same. How is the noise reduction outside the building behind the shooter?

Double walls, 6" apart with no connecting material, staggered studs so they don't align will go a long way to reduce noise and helps with insulation.

Make the walls and roof long and it will help channel all sound out the front while reducing sound to the sides and behind.

Look up sound proofing a room will give you sone good ideas.

Diamond shaped foam on the walls and ceiling will dampen a lot of sound as well - think music room.

Just my 2¢

*edit - a front overhanging baffle will further dampen sound out the front

Double walls, 6" apart with no connecting material, staggered studs so they don't align will go a long way to reduce noise and helps with insulation.

Make the walls and roof long and it will help channel all sound out the front while reducing sound to the sides and behind.

Diamond shaped foam on the walls and ceiling will dampen a lot of sound as well - think music room.

Just my 2¢

By front baffle are you referring to overhang like this?

3 Sided Metal Buildings 01.jpg

Just my 2¢

I looked into the diamond shaped foam panels and they are very expensive. Do you think lining the inside and outside walls with firewood would do much to absorb sound or does it have to be a sealed surface? I have lots and lots of firewood available.

I looked into the diamond shaped foam panels and they are very expensive. Do you think lining the inside and outside walls with firewood would do much to absorb sound or does it have to be a sealed surface? I have lots and lots of firewood available.

As long as there is air between them it would help - hard surfaces against hard surfaces transmit sound fairly efficiently but gapping them with air in between cuts it down a lot.

Also, I'm not sure if they are still a thing but the camping mats that you can roll up are generally diamond patterned.

Worst case, buy cheap carpet and hang it on the walls. You want to avoid as many hard surfaces as possible.

This might only be suitable for those under Brown lockdown and have ran out of books to read. It goes in to a detailed look at how sound can be measured and mitigated at shooting ranges. The one part that really caught my so far is how wall systems need to be completely sealed to be most effective and that relatively small penetrations in a wall system can have huge reductions in effectiveness of the wall system for reducing sound. Here is an excerpt.

"Holes in a wall are the natural enemy of noise control. Walls, such as those described above, that can reduce sound by 60 dB are, in fact, allowing only one part in one million of the sound energy through the wall. An opening in the wall, such as a window representing just 1% of the total area of the wall, will allow so much sound through that the overall noise reduction of the wall will only be about 20 dB. Consequently, if a window is to be introduced it needs to be closed and sealed, as well as have a transmission loss characteristic that is essentially the same as the wall in which it is located."

I just looked at ARPC buildings on their website, and that's the basic design I was looking at. I would use wood materials for walls but otherwise the same. How is the noise reduction outside the building behind the shooter?
Can still make some people flinch due to noise. I don't flinch from nose anymore but others will in the parking lot as they are against a hill as well.
Most sound dampening will be from the tire suppression.

The cheapest and most effective idea given here would be a stick frame with an outer covering of sheet metal ( weather proofing). And the inner wall made from Carpet (sound deadening) . with the Wall hollow empty. Sound travels as a Wave. And each transition from air to material slows it down. You could add a layer of Celotex (old school Sound board that used to be used in homes and schools)

If you do this along with the 55 gallon drum muffler (four corners rod and gun club use these to great effect they are lined with burlap and possibly carpet) I would say you will greatly reduce the db your neighbors hear.

The cheapest and most effective idea given here would be a stick frame with an outer covering of sheet metal ( weather proofing). And the inner wall made from Carpet (sound deadening) . with the Wall hollow empty. Sound travels as a Wave. And each transition from air to material slows it down. You could add a layer of Celotex (old school Sound board that used to be used in homes and schools)

If you do this along with the 55 gallon drum muffler (four corners rod and gun club use these to great effect they are lined with burlap and possibly carpet) I would say you will greatly reduce the db your neighbors hear.
I have a few 55gal plastic drums, I will look into that idea as an added feature to building, thanks. I would love to find a list of what the sound transmission capture is of different materials, Celotex for example. The article I have been reading discusses this on page 29 and 30, as transmission loss but only list a few different materials:

"Noise is reduced in pressure or loudness as it crosses a wall. This noise reduction, when measured in a laboratory, is called transmission loss. The first rule of transmission loss is called "Mass Law" and indicates that partitions of higher mass (i.e. greater weight per square metre) reduce sound more. Figure 7 shows the noise reduction or transmission loss for three different wall types."

This aspiring comedian demonstrates a drum muffler.

It seem to do a really great job on 22lr pistol at the end. I would be worried about field of view but it is cheap to try. One barrel though could be used in a building for added noise reduction. I feel sorry for rodents if they take up residence in the barrel. The AR15 would probably evict them pretty darn quick.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top