JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you happen to have pictures or a drawing of this carpet hanging?
This is on using carpet in a sound studio. the gist is hang the carpet off the wall not glued to the wall it needs air space and free movement.
I 'm looking for pics of my friends place, but not finding any that show the shooting house. I found a couple of him in front of a target. But none of the house. The outdoor portion is like two heavy duty clothes lines with a shooting lane between them . I think he used phone poles to hold it up. And the carpets are 10 inches apart.
when you are standing inside its quiet like on a fresh snow day. Everything is dampened. DR

Good stuff, I have read that a gunshot has a wide range of frequency but most of it is not very low. I like the rubber backed outdoor carpet idea vs using indoor carpet. I will test this idea out. Thanks for the article link.

Edit:

The spectral content of the main part of the acoustic energy was less than 400 Hz (peak 16-100 Hz) for large-caliber weapons and 150-2,500 Hz (peak 900-1,500 Hz) for small-caliber weapons (rifles).

Source: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7761796/#:~:text=The peak SPLs at the,-caliber weapons (rifles).

Last Edited:

This is on using carpet in a sound studio. the gist is hang the carpet off the wall not glued to the wall it needs air space and free movement.
I 'm looking for pics of my friends place, but not finding any that show the shooting house. I found a couple of him in front of a target. But none of the house. The outdoor portion is like two heavy duty clothes lines with a shooting lane between them . I think he used phone poles to hold it up. And the carpets are 10 inches apart.
when you are standing inside its quiet like on a fresh snow day. Everything is dampened. DR
We found that moving the carpet even just 3" from a concrete wall noticeably reduced sound. We did not measure SPL, just went by ear. Fiberglass insulation worked well in the roof, but left unprotected, the paper backing nearest the concussion degraded over time.

Carpet on the floor sounds like a bad idea as it would trap lead dust. I would expect removable rubber mats to help though, even if they didn't cover the entire floor.

edit:

Gunshots frequencies vary by weapon but IIRC they range from 800 hz to 4,000 hz, so midrange mostly.

800 hz wavelength = 16 inches X .25 = 4 inches
4000 hz wavelength = 3 inches X .25 = 3/4 inch

So hang the carpet a couple of inches from the wall and you should be getting the most out of it. Pack some thin, loose material behind it for added efficiency if you want.

Last Edited:
We found that moving the carpet even just 3" from a concrete wall noticeably reduced sound. We did not measure SPL, just went by ear. Fiberglass insulation worked well in the roof, but left unprotected, the paper backing nearest the concussion degraded over time.

Carpet on the floor sounds like a bad idea as it would trap lead dust. I would expect removable rubber mats to help though, even if they didn't cover the entire floor.
The floor is currently cinder rock and I may leave it that way except for platform under shooting bench.

The floor is currently cinder rock and I may leave it that way except for platform under shooting bench.
Good idea. I've added some math to the post above, that I did based on the article you linked. It looks like about 2 inches from the wall gets the best attenuation for the frequencies we're dealing with. You might try 3 and 4 also just in case.

This is a cool tiny shooting shed.

Screenshot_20220707-035638.png

This is a cool tiny shooting shed.

View attachment 1235606
Edit: after sitting in my 4x8ft mock up again, it's clear that I need to come up with another full sheet of plywood that I can rip in half. Ignore the 4x8ft measurements below. One way or another I am going to make it 6x8ft. That will allow room to hang carpet or whatever other sound absorbing material I decide to use on or around the walls.

I have decided to build a separate tiny shooting shack instead of trying to convert the summer kitchen. It will be similar to the one in photo above. To minimize material useage, I am going with 4ftx8ft. Interior dimensions will be about 40 inches wide x 84 inches deep. Height will be between 7 and 8ft on high side. On the low side it will be closer to 6ft. Entry will be on high side and shooting will be out the low side. This size of building will require about 7 or 8 full sheets of plywood plus scraps which I have on hand at the property. I have metal for roof, a door and numerous windows to choose from. I plan to use 5/8 drywall which I will need to bring in. I think I have all the other bits and pieces I will need, including fiberglass insulation. I am going to use logs for the main floor framing and set them on corrugated steel so I can drag the building around the property, in case the first site doesn't work out.

Here is a mock up of the floor space. It is just enough room to swivel around without banging my knees on the wall.

20220718_023712.jpg

20220718_023909.jpg

I will have to be crafty with bench counter design so it can be easily switched back and forth from left or right handed positions. My goal for next trip is to get floor logs framed and start on wall framing. I would like to have it completed by end of September before rain/snows start up again.

Last Edited:
The bench counter could have a flippable piece of plywood simliar to this shape laying on top. Flip it over to switch from left or right handed shooting positions. A piece of 2x4 could be mounted on both left and right walls to support the cut out part of the plywood top that is hanging over the fixed bench counter.

20220718_034953.jpg

20220718_034947.jpg

Last Edited:
Something to add. By building a separate structure I can orient the shooting side of the building so it is 180 degrees from the direction of the neighbors I am trying mitigate the noise levels for. It will also allow me to shoot at a hillside that will serve as a natural backstop. I could get up to a 200yd lane depending where exactly I put the building.

Shooting shack plans are going in the trash can. After the recent break in and theft at my cabin property I decided it's not a priority or even a good idea. Assuming the plywood is still there I will use it to make improvements on the cabin and roadside shed. I have some soft spots in kitchen/bathroom area floor that have been needing attention. Since the thieves tore up part of the floor in this area I might as well fix it all at once.

I will use some of the plywood to build a replacement door for the one they stole out of the frame. I will also use some plywood to strengthen other doors and increase the chances they survive being kicked in.

I was thinking about how thorough they were turning over the place and think it could be gun related. I had the following stuff at my cabin.

Gun cleaning kit
Target gongs
Shootnc type targets both new and previously shot at.
22lr ammo about 200rnds
Spent shotgun hulls and cartridge brass.
3 boxes of clay pigeons
Swinging steel rimfire target
Daisy red rider
Two youth bows and lots of adult size arrows.

As a thief, it would be reasonable to think I might have firearms stashed around there somewhere.

I think it will be better just to shoot up at the cinder pit or elsewhere in forest and not leave any signs of firearm paraphernalia in the cabin or outbuildings when I leave.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads