JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How accurate is a savage out of the box?

Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 creedmore with 6-24 HS-T. Shot from the bench at Clark rifles this morning Hand loaded 140g ELD-M over 40.0g H4350. Shot 4 round to zero rifle at 100y, followed by 3 round group at 100y. Load was not specialty worked up for the rifle but was just my starting load.

End conclusion, savage 110's are stupid accurate right out of the box.

View attachment 1107350
Been saying this for years.

The Idaho winter finally gave me a break, cold but almost no wind so I was able to put some rounds through my new to me Tikka 30-06. After some warm up rounds I fired 5 Federal 175 grain Terminal Ascent. Needless to say I'm very happy with the performance.

I also shot the Ruger American 22 that I picked up after selling my Ruger 10-22.
20220116_114804.jpg
20220116_154939.jpg
20220116_112507.jpg
20220116_115626.jpg

I did a little shooting today. Pretty much the same conditions here in Eastern Oregon. Cold but not wind.

I have been doing a little scope swapping lately so I wanted to try to get a couple of them sighted in today. Fairly pleased with how they are shooting.

The Remington 700 LR in 7mm Mag is shooting better than it ever has. No complaints about this 5 shot group at 100 yards.

7mm with razor.jpeg

7mm group.jpeg

For some reason (that I haven't had time to figure out yet) the Tikka 17hmr is shooting about 5" left and I have run out of windage. Still a pretty good 4 shot group at 100.

17 with NF.jpeg

17 group.jpeg

No actual range shots. We weren't even sure that it would be warm/wind free enough to set up targets to shoot so didn't take the camera. It was plenty cold but the wind wasn't to much for targets.

P1050138.JPG

I was able to finally run some of my own loads through the CMP Garand.
P1050140.JPG
Using Sierra 150 grain Match King with 47 and 48 grains of IMR 4064. I didn't notice any difference in accuracy between the two. But then I'm not real good with trigger discipline/control. I really need some time to settle in and get in a groove. Need to shoot more is what would help.
these are just a little past 50yrds, because that's the limit of my eyesight. I gradually settled in and the top right was my last shots. 10 of them pretty good, for me, with one flyer.

The reason there's 11 is because my modified clips weren't going in the gun. The SLED clip, which will hold two. was the only one working. I had to reload after every two. Believe I might have a faulty 8 rounder, non GI probably, because I couldn't get it to lock in. And the modified 5 rounder wasn't' going in either. But then my hands were really cold too.

It's really something, thinking about our American soldiers that carried these guns in two wars. This particular rifle has a receiver from the Korean War and a barrel from 5-44 during WWII.

Last Edited:
Went and tested out a new form 1 can I put together for my .308 AR and after confirming my zero hadn't shifted, I hit the 300, 400, and 500yd yard steel since it was there. Also shot my ak103 out to the 500yd gong using the PA 1-6 with x39 acss reticle. Shot off the bench , prone and the diamond cutout in the barricade. Good time!

20220212_104321.jpg 20220212_083213.jpg

Went and tested out a new form 1 can I put together for my .308 AR and after confirming my zero hadn't shifted, I hit the 300, 400, and 500yd yard steel since it was there. Also shot my ak103 out to the 500yd gong using the PA 1-6 with x39 acss reticle. Shot off the bench , prone and the diamond cutout in the barricade. Good time!

View attachment 1130515View attachment 1130516
Blacks Creek?

There issues in this picture. Why is the guy in shorts past the shooting line? What the hell is the guy doing with his shotgun behind the shooter? Looks like an accident waiting to happen. These pictures are cringe worthy at best.
What's cringe worthy would be someone commenting about a picture from 2008 that a member that hasn't been on here in over a year posted. Besides there is no firing line that's a gravel road up in the woods (most likely mary's peak) and without actually being there to get the true visual perspective. This is why I dislike ranges, too many Karens, I'll continue to shoot at home.

What's cringe worthy would be someone commenting about a picture from 2008 that a member that hasn't been on here in over a year posted. Besides there is no firing line that's a gravel road up in the woods (most likely mary's peak) and without actually being there to get the true visual perspective. This is why I dislike ranges, too many Karens, I'll continue to shoot at home.
It would be less cringe-worthy if we didn't crap all over a new member's post who just happened to notice what truly appears to be an unsafe set-up.
Thought we were s'posed to be a welcoming sorta group. Just my :s0159:

It would be less cringe-worthy if we didn't crap all over a new member's post who just happened to notice what truly appears to be an unsafe set-up.
Thought we were s'posed to be a welcoming sorta group. Just my :s0159:
Edit : reply deleted, sorry Karen er Kyle

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class