JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some people love to live in an HSA, where they can order and control everything around them, including the height of their neighbor's lawn, and what time of day they can mow it. The worst neighbor to have is this person, when they move out of town and bring their expectations with them.

A friend of mine lived out of town, on maybe 20 acres outside a rural community, raised 11 kids there. When their boys were teenagers, they liked to whoop and holler, ride motorcycles and shoot guns. A longtime neighbor sold his farm, and a big-money Californian bought it to retire, made a snooty horse ranch out of it.

For a while there the cops were called out on a regular basis- gunshots, kids yelling, loud motorcycles, whatever. They got to know them on a first name basis. The county mounty would tell them they weren't doing anything wrong, but they were required to respond and check it out. IIRC some accusations of harassment were made against the rich dude, and an understanding was reached.

I think it's sad that the average working guy can't afford to live out of town anymore. I grew up on a 200 acre dairy farm, and regret not being able to raise my kids out of town. It used to be that "poor people" lived out of town, but now anything with "acreage" around here is so out of reach it might as well be Beverly Hills. Gentrification doesn't just happen in cities.

added: I'm not whining here; I fully understand it's simple economics and isn't anyone's "fault" per se. I just think it's a sad change.

Last Edited:
Another reason to live very remote. Always someone that inherited their house, didn't earn it. Fat, cpap machine, disability, every noise making toy on earth, couldn't care less about the law, manners, doing things right...it's about what he can get away with.

Live far enough away from the very services he so sorely depends on. He's not a problem anymore.
gee - I'm fat, collected disability until social security kicked in, have to carry an Inogen to breath, have a trust fund from my father, have lots of toys that make noise
but I worked for this place for 24 years before the disability and get along fine with my neighbors

gee - I'm fat, collected disability until social security kicked in, have to carry an Inogen to breath, have a trust fund from my father, have lots of toys that make noise
but I worked for this place for 24 years before the disability and get along fine with my neighbors
He's from Eugene. You might have to simplify your responses. :rolleyes:

You and I should move next to that guy. I have quads and a motorcycle we can ride around on all day, shooting guns and blasting air horns. :D

Except then we'd be in Eugene. :D

I wanna' move next to @rjmt !

Where people live next to each other, on 50'x100 lots, you have SOME responsibility to the people that live around you to keep your place reasonably kept, and somewhat peaceful at the proper times.

Some people love to live in an HSA, where they can order and control everything around them, including the height of their neighbor's lawn, and what time of day they can mow it. The worst neighbor to have is this person, when they move out of town and bring their expectations with them.

A friend of mine lived out of town, on maybe 20 acres outside a rural community, raised 11 kids there. When their boys were teenagers, they liked to whoop and holler, ride motorcycles and shoot guns. A longtime neighbor sold his farm, and a big-money Californian bought it to retire, made a snooty horse ranch out of it.

For a while there the cops were called out on a regular basis- gunshots, kids yelling, loud motorcycles, whatever. They got to know them on a first name basis. The county mounty would tell them they weren't doing anything wrong, but they were required to respond and check it out. IIRC some accusations of harassment were made against the rich dude, and an understanding was reached.

I think it's sad that the average working guy can't afford to live out of town anymore. I grew up on a 200 acre dairy farm, and regret not being able to raise my kids out of town. It used to be that "poor people" lived out of town, but now anything with "acreage" around here is so out of reach it might as well be Beverly Hills. Gentrification doesn't just happen in cities.

added: I'm not whining here; I fully understand it's simple economics and isn't anyone's "fault" per se. I just think it's a sad change.
I agree,
when we moved out here, it was loggers and ranchers and most lived in manufactured homes
now all the 10 acre homesteaded plots have been bought up by actual retired Californians and Seattle software engineers
6 mega mansions on our dead end road now, and another going up as we speak
just a 5 acre plot goes for almost $400K now, but down by Damascus, Or, 5 acres goes for almost $800K
so far the Californians have taken up shooting and dirt bikes also and we've not heard from them with complaints
and I still live in a 24 year old manufactured home with shot up cars in the yard, and my son will take over when I pass
I wanna' move next to @rjmt !

Where people live next to each other, on 50'x100 lots, you have SOME responsibility to the people that live around you to keep your place reasonably kept, and somewhat peaceful at the proper times.

20220616_182940.jpg Dodge Van.jpg

Eugene thread jack, 50 or more years ago an Izaak Walton gun range was started in the south Eugene hills, presumably it was a ways out of town back then. Bear in mind that this is an active gun range with people shooting basically from dawn to dusk 7 days a week. Now days people want to move to the hills and then of course want the range shut down. These are the same people that want to feed the Deer and Turkeys and yet complain when they've got Bear Cougars killing the fluffy pets not to mention the Turkey bubblegum all over their Teslas. Somebody needs to do something is their battle cry. But not them, and not now.

Eugene thread jack, 50 or more years ago an Izaak Walton gun range was started in the south Eugene hills, presumably it was a ways out of town back then. Bear in mind that this is an active gun range with people shooting basically from dawn to dusk 7 days a week. Now days people want to move to the hills and then of course want the range shut down.
Whatever happened with their neighbor who was suing them a few years back, trying to shut them down? I remember hearing that he had named the trees on his property, and claimed that bullets were coming over and hitting his trees.

Whatever happened with their neighbor who was suing them a few years back, trying to shut them down? I remember hearing that he had named the trees on his property, and claimed that bullets were coming over and hitting his trees.
I don't know, I'm just a member that shoots regularly and holds classes once in a while there. I've only been a member for about 7 years. In that time I've seen range improvments like more pistol bays, longer rifle range a picnic area and the like. It certainly looks like it's here to stay.

Good to hear. I had another friend who was a member there quite a few years ago. I shot there with him a few times. I remember him telling me about some crazy legal drama with a landowning neighbor trying to shut them down. It must have been resolved in their favor.

Good to hear. I had another friend who was a member there quite a few years ago. I shot there with him a few times. I remember him telling me about some crazy legal drama with a landowning neighbor trying to shut them down. It must have been resolved in their favor.
I wouldn't doubt that over the years there have been lots of drama. The only thing I know for sure is there is a no shotgun rule and that has something to do with somebody complaining about lead in the creek. So the new pistol ranges are where the trap and skeet ranges used to be. If you get a day off mid-week sometime come on down and I'll bring you in as my guest. I avoid going up there on the weekends, leaving that time for those with real jobs.

Well, the painful reality of a lot of what is being discussed is due to two simple things - longevity of the life of humans and overpopulation.

There was a time when those who lived rurally and in larger towns and cities had a somewhat 'symbiotic' relationship as there were 'overlaps' and understandings of how both lived and it was a more 'shared' lifestyle.

As time progressed (and population) there became a more 'distancing' between rural living and cities, and as the economy moved more 'hi tec', larger incomes were made in denser, city areas and it was realized they could be expanded to rural areas as well.

Couple this with several time frames of incredible property value increases, and at the time of many baby boomers retiring and discovering cheaper areas to move to (that are no longer as 'rural' as they used to be) are flooding these areas like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Trust me - I am seeing it in my small 'rural' town of LaPine. We now have two new apartment complexes and I meet people daily who are moving here from CA and can afford anything they want or need.

Well, the painful reality of a lot of what is being discussed is due to two simple things - longevity of the life of humans and overpopulation.

There was a time when those who lived rurally and in larger towns and cities had a somewhat 'symbiotic' relationship as there were 'overlaps' and understandings of how both lived and it was a more 'shared' lifestyle.

As time progressed (and population) there became a more 'distancing' between rural living and cities, and as the economy moved more 'hi tec', larger incomes were made in denser, city areas and it was realized they could be expanded to rural areas as well.

Couple this with several time frames of incredible property value increases, and at the time of many baby boomers retiring and discovering cheaper areas to move to (that are no longer as 'rural' as they used to be) are flooding these areas like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Trust me - I am seeing it in my small 'rural' town of LaPine. We now have two new apartment complexes and I meet people daily who are moving here from CA and can afford anything they want or need.
when I first moved here, I was told the land was cheep because it was outside the commute distance to Portland
the North Fork of the Lewis was where people came out to for vacations and long weekends
I worked remote, even back in 1997
it used to be a 45 min drive to downtown Portland at 9 in the morning, but most people were not willing to make that commute
today, it's 1.5 hrs on a good day and people think nothing of spending that much time on the I5 South
now coming home on any Friday - don't even think about it
but more and more professionals are working remote and we now have high speed internet without satellite dish
my profession allowed me to telecommute or fly out of PDX, at 5 in the morning, there was no traffic
but after years of 8 - 12 hr flights and work permits on 5 continents, I'm now content to just sit in my woods and watch the contrails of the jets flying overhead

unknown (2).jpg

You and I should move next to that guy. I have quads and a motorcycle we can ride around on all day, shooting guns and blasting air horns. :D

Except then we'd be in Eugene. :D

When we live in Oregon, usually once a year for a decent amount of time, WE live near Eugene, too. This is the view off the deck.

The only neighbours we see are either furry ones like this, or feathery ones like the tribe of turkeys that just ran by about ten minutes ago.....mind you, with the local puma running around after them, I'd be running, too.

1657625359205.png

Last Edited:
A guy we know sold up his spiffy apartment in Hollywood down there in the state that has no name, moved up 101 and bought a ten-acre lot with a 3500 s/f home on it, and three others - one for each of his sons and families - and had enough left to have a nice 3500 s/f lakeside log cabin built in Cottage Country ON.

Nothing stopping a guy from picking up and moving to the smallest town he can find, finding a bare piece of land, and trying to eek out a living like everyone else. Now he can make all the noise he wants.

All I am saying, is if you want the freedom to live like a redneck...don't do it in town. I don't think that is too much to ask.
Keep telling me where and how to live my life and I'll keep telling you to pack sand. That's what freedom of speech is all about, isn't it?

Nothing stopping a guy from picking up and moving to the smallest town he can find, finding a bare piece of land, and trying to eek out a living like everyone else. Now he can make all the noise he wants.

All I am saying, is if you want the freedom to live like a redneck...don't do it in town. I don't think that is too much to ask.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought it was ok to annoy all your neighbors in town. The story I told about my friend and his boys and their problem with a snooty neighbor happened well out of town, outside a small unincorporated community in rural Oregon. Only one neighbor ever had a problem with them: the stuck-up Californian retiree half a mile away who thought he could tell everyone what to do because he was wealthy.

I was raised on a dairy farm in the same area, and was taught to mind my own business. If you have a problem with a neighbor, you talk to them and try to work something out.

This ^^ really nails it I feel. A recent road trip to Netarts, down to Pacific City, up the Little Nestucca River, over to Salem and back up to potland on the East side of the 5. You can see these HUGE multi million dollar mansions atop the hills out in the open areas.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top