JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard that 22 LR increases pressure until about 18" of barrel. If your Ruger has a 20" barrel, it makes sense to me that it would be pretty quiet. Subs are crazy quiet out of a 28" barrel. I haven't measured SPL, but I've shot it without ear protection and it was quite tolerable.
it's a 18.5" Volquartsen 1:8 SS bull barrel
running a Tony Kidd trigger and Kidd sub sonic springs
I don't need ear protection with this rifle

I don't bother any geese who don't know me. Those little sombeeches can take chunks out of you.
our big male has never bothered me in 16 years
until the day after his babies were hatched, just 3 weeks ago
I think it was the cell phone I used to take the photo that spooked him
this photo was taken just milli sec before 30 lbs of protective male goose hit the cell phone and knocked it out of my hands
he's an Emden/African mix - they don't get any bigger than him

20220616_102938.jpg

our big male has never bothered me in 16 years
until the day after his babies were hatched, just 3 weeks ago
I think it was the cell phone I used to take the photo that spooked him
this photo was taken just milli sec before 30 lbs of protective male goose hit the cell phone and knocked it out of my hands
he's an Emden/African mix - they don't get any bigger than him

View attachment 1238857
He's got that crazy look in his eyes!!!

My sister moved to a new (very small) town in the midwest. She says there's a tornado siren a couple hundred yards from their house. For some reason, they blast it at 1pm every day. She asked a neighbor about it and was told that it's tradition; they've been doing it for years.

She talked to someone with the town about it, who admitted that he didn't really know the reason for it and said he'd stop it. She got a week of quiet before they started it back up again. They told her that a number of people complained about not hearing it, who wanted their silly tradition, so they blare the siren daily again now. Their town, their rules. She said she's gotten used to it and it doesn't really bother her now.

BTW, when I lived out of town, I was respectful of my neighbors. I shot a fair amount, but never had any complaints from neighbors. My closest neighbor operated a log truck yard/shop a couple hundred yards away through the woods. I never had any complaints towards him either. Only one time do I remember a problem. Another neighbor was shooting his .22 rifle without a proper backstop, and I could hear the bullets zinging over my head when I was out in the field. I went and told him immediately. It really scared him when he realized what could have happened.

On the farm, my dad once got an interesting request from a neighbor. We would occasionally pump slurry (liquid cow manure) down into the fields, spraying out of a huge sprinkler as fertilizer. The neighbor was showing his place for sale, and asked that we not fertilize the fields during those days. My dad just laughed, and gladly complied.

Hog farms are another matter. When buying a house in the rural midwest, make sure there's not a hog unit anywhere nearby. Those places will burn the hair out of your nostrils. A dairy farm is a rose garden by comparison. If you don't do your due diligence and locate next to one, it's on you and you're out of luck. You'll go "nose-blind" and get used to it but you'll never have company at your house. Some years back most counties started zoning where they could put them.

My sister moved to a new (very small) town in the midwest. She says there's a tornado siren a couple hundred yards from their house. For some reason, they blast it at 1pm every day. She asked a neighbor about it and was told that it's tradition; they've been doing it for years.

She talked to someone with the town about it, who admitted that he didn't really know the reason for it and said he'd stop it. She got a week of quiet before they started it back up again. They told her that a number of people complained about not hearing it, who wanted their silly tradition, so they blare the siren daily again now. Their town, their rules. She said she's gotten used to it and it doesn't really bother her now.

BTW, when I lived out of town, I was respectful of my neighbors. I shot a fair amount, but never had any complaints from neighbors. My closest neighbor operated a log truck yard/shop a couple hundred yards away through the woods. I never had any complaints towards him either. Only one time do I remember a problem. Another neighbor was shooting his .22 rifle without a proper backstop, and I could hear the bullets zinging over my head when I was out in the field. I went and told him immediately. It really scared him when he realized what could have happened.

On the farm, my dad once got an interesting request from a neighbor. We would occasionally pump slurry (liquid cow manure) down into the fields, spraying out of a huge sprinkler as fertilizer. The neighbor was showing his place for sale, and asked that we not fertilize the fields during those days. My dad just laughed, and gladly complied.

Hog farms are another matter. When buying a house in the rural midwest, make sure there's not a hog unit anywhere nearby. Those places will burn the hair out of your nostrils. A dairy farm is a rose garden by comparison. If you don't do your due diligence and locate next to one, it's on you and you're out of luck. You'll go "nose-blind" and get used to it but you'll never have company at your house. Some years back most counties started zoning where they could put them.
I have stage 2 COPD, have to use an Inogen to breath, and insist it come from exposure to industrial chemical on a job back in Tenn.
my wife continues to suggest it come from 20 years of mucking out chicken coups without a mask
and I hear those hog pens are worse

When you get 20,000 pigs together on one farm, with mountains of manure, it'll burn your nose for literally a mile away. It's the most vile thing I've ever smelled, but those who work there get used to it somehow.

The reality is - if the other guy has to live with and tolerate your noise, smell, issues...you are the problem not the snooty Californian.
Not necessarily.

If the 'snooty Californian' moves in and complains about noise, smell, issues from his neighbor who is ALREADY there, and the issues are NOT illegal, and are NOT under any formal adjudication, then the problem IS with the 'Snooty Californian', and he/she has essentially no legal recourse.

It is the responsibility of the 'new neighbor on the block' to know where they are moving to and to ensure it meets their standards - and not a place they think they will change if it does not.

Last Edited:
we had one Californian who moved up here for retirement who did bring his California lifestyle with him, a wife from L.A.
she would not socialize with the local mothers, considered them Red Necks
She didn't last through the first Winter and forced him to sell his mini mansion
Californians may last out in Central Oregon, but here in the rain forest of the Western Cascades, they usually don't last 2 years
the 45" of rain and lack of Sun drive them out
Heaven!

we have geese
you can hear the big male 300 yrds away
if you have any complaints, take it up with the goose - if you dare

View attachment 1238826
Them Romans used them as sentries on temples.

When they buggered off back to Iddly a while back they left them all behind - hence the unusual UK population of Latin-speaking white geese that would otherwise be living in warmer climes.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top