JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing stopping a guy from picking up and moving to the smallest town he can find, finding a bare piece of land, and trying to eek out a living like everyone else. Now he can make all the noise he wants.

All I am saying, is if you want the freedom to live like a redneck...don't do it in town. I don't think that is too much to ask.
there is a book written during the Great Depression on moving to property and surviving - I have had a copy since just dreaming of living on property
it's called "5 ACRES AND INDEPENDENCE"
not much has changed since this book was written, everything found in Mother Earth News is in this one handbook
you can buy all the homesteading and survivalist magazines you want, but it's all in this publication

just remember, your #1 priority on remote property is water
we bought cheep because there was no proven water, paid cash out of pocket for testing and digging - luckily they hit water at 125'
2 properties up from us still used delivered water, their test well was dry all the way down to 600'
in Clark Co near Woodland, many test wells hit arsenic
we have to have a UV filter to kill E.coli in our well

^^^ sounds like some one recently moved from California
we had one Californian who moved up here for retirement who did bring his California lifestyle with him, a wife from L.A.
she would not socialize with the local mothers, considered them Red Necks
She didn't last through the first Winter and forced him to sell his mini mansion
Californians may last out in Central Oregon, but here in the rain forest of the Western Cascades, they usually don't last 2 years
the 45" of rain and lack of Sun drive them out

we had one Californian who moved up here for retirement who did bring his California lifestyle with him, a wife from L.A.
she would not socialize with the local mothers, considered them Red Necks
She didn't last through the first Winter and forced him to sell his mini mansion
Californians may last out in Central Oregon, but here in the rain forest of the Western Cascades, they usually don't last 2 years
the 45" of rain and lack of Sun drive them out
Thank god they don't or I'd have to move further into the sticks!

So how can anyone complain about you, unless what you do sounds, smells, drifts, or otherwise bother's him on his property? The reality is - if the other guy has to live with and tolerate your noise, smell, issues...you are the problem not the snooty Californian.
When you move into an area and try to force the locals to change the way they've been living their whole lives, to conform to your expectations, YOU are the problem, not them.

If you don't like the way people live in a certain area, don't move there. Find somewhere else where you will fit in better, and just leave people alone.

In the particular case of my friend who had the issue with his neighbor, nobody else in the area was bothered by his boys and their noise, as they all live the same way. To be honest, it wasn't that bad, just normal country living stuff: motorcycles, chainsaws, occasional shooting, nothing that the average person raised in the country would be bothered be.

There are numerous neighbors in the area, and everyone else got along fine. The one California retiree raised a fuss with everyone, expecting some idyllic country peace and quiet that doesn't exist out there where normal people live.

To me it seems the height of arrogance to move to a new area and demand that all the locals conform to your expectations.

So your 'way of life' is making so much noise and problems it can be heard acres and acres away onto someone else's property, ergo, they just have to live with it?
If the neighbor isn't breaking any laws, just doing what normal country people do, then yes, you do have to just live with it. Either that or move back to the city and find a nice HOA where you can tell everyone else what to do.

So your 'way of life' is making so much noise and problems it can be heard acres and acres away onto someone else's property, ergo, they just have to live with it?
Acres and acres? No one is talking about that much noise. You sure jump way out there with some ridiculous scenarios.

1657656924963.png

Acres and acres? No one is talking about that much noise. You sure jump way out there with some ridiculous scenarios.
acres and acres?
I love to shoot my Garand early in the morning and listen to the echo off the hills in Cowlitz Co
not to mention the Mosin M38 with it's 20" bbl - it sets off car alarms
no complaints so far
the Californians out here don't even complain when the loggers set off 1/4 sticks of dynamite and we don't complain about their dirt bikes
but today is so quiet out here, when I sneezed, I heard it echo off the hills
on Sunday morning, I can hear the church bells on the Highland Lutheran church
they been ringing those bells for 130 years
someone needs to file a nuisance suit against them

So much for 'do unto others...' as a philosophy.

I guarantee when they move in, and start up the helicopter, lumber yard, motocross track, pig farm, you are going to be complaining to everyone around about your rights, quality of life etc.

Again, it really boggles when people talk about rights ....really what they are saying...'I want to be an anoyance, and be able to get away with it'.
Around here the county commissioner decides zoning and regulations within that zone. If you don't like what someone legally does in your zone, take it up with the CC. If you don't like how he handles it, vote for the other guy next election.

When I shoot on my property, I do try to be respectful. I usually only shoot between 9:00AM and 6:00 or so PM and generally keep my sessions an hour or so.

On the average evening I can hear a couple neighbors shooting, maybe a dirt bike, a tractor running and someone working on a racecar. I love it, and assume most of them do to.

Around here the county commissioner decides zoning and regulations within that zone. If you don't like what someone legally does in your zone, take it up with the CC. If you don't like how he handles it, vote for the other guy next election.

When I shoot on my property, I do try to be respectful. I usually only shoot between 9:00AM and 6:00 or so PM and generally keep my sessions an hour or so.

On the average evening I can hear a couple neighbors shooting, maybe a dirt bike, a tractor running and someone working on a racecar. I love it, and assume most of them do to.
the only complaint I've had was during a birthday party on the next property when kids were present
it wasn't the noise from shooting, but the lack of noise that concerned them
Jack said he could hear this loud 'THWAK" in our berm,50 yrds away, but no gunfire - he thought it was uncontrolled gunfire from over the road
told him it was sub sonic out of a 10/22 - had to show him
no suppressor - just 60gn subsonic down a 1:8 barrel
we could hear it up here, but 100 yrds away, only a loud "THWAK" when it hit the wood backing

Ruger 1022 target 2.JPG

So much for 'do unto others...' as a philosophy.

I guarantee when they move in, and start up the helicopter, lumber yard, motocross track, pig farm, you are going to be complaining to everyone around about your rights, quality of life etc.

Again, it really boggles when people talk about rights ....really what they are saying...'I want to be an anoyance, and be able to get away with it'.
You sound like these people that live in Scio and are anti chicken farm! Makes me laugh...I welcome the chicken farms. The more agriculture the better

the only complaint I've had was during a birthday party on the next property when kids were present
it wasn't the noise from shooting, but the lack of noise that concerned them
Jack said he could hear this loud 'THWAK" in our berm,50 yrds away, but no gunfire - he thought it was uncontrolled gunfire from over the road
told him it was sub sonic out of a 10/22 - had to show him
no suppressor - just 60gn subsonic down a 1:8 barrel
we could hear it up here, but 100 yrds away, only a loud "THWAK" when it hit the wood backing

View attachment 1238803
I've heard that 22 LR increases pressure until about 18" of barrel. If your Ruger has a 20" barrel, it makes sense to me that it would be pretty quiet. Subs are crazy quiet out of a 28" barrel. I haven't measured SPL, but I've shot it without ear protection and it was quite tolerable.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top