JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its people like you that think there needs to be a law for everything. Yes, you are the problem, not the home owner doing what ever he feels like doing safely
He needs a berm or high wall on that property line to contain ricochets. What he's doing is flat out reckless. It may be legal - for now - but those kind of antics are eventually going to get someone injured. His backstop is his shed - beyond that is a canal and other homes. He's got an apartment building near to his "range" that could be struck by ricocheting rounds.

I notice you're in Texas as well. Law here in Texas says rounds may not leave your property, and most counties have an ordinance requiring 10+ acres that are not in a platted subdivision in order to lawfully shoot on your property. We have a hair under 3 acres ourselves, and unless I dug a deep pit, or built a covered range bermed on 3 sides, there's no way I could safely shoot on my property even if it were legal, and the closest homes to mine are a lot further away than this gentleman's.

This guy looks like he doesn't even have half an acre, and he's surrounded by residences, shooting in his driveway. Good luck finding people to agree that such behavior is safe, and its because of people who act unreasonably on their own like this guy, that "lawmakers" put stupid restrictions into the law like minimal lot sizes, or flat out ban shooting that isn't on an official range.

The guy in the video talked about doing things safely, and how he spent over $600 on his tiny little back stop - but put zero effort into containing ricochets from leaving his property. I don't think you need a statutory minimal lot size, but I also don't think you should be popping rounds off in a residential area in the open. Your range should be sufficient to contain the rounds fired. If the guy wants to build a reinforced range in his garage - with appropriately strong walls / ceiling - go for it, but no way would I get behind what he's doing.

He needs a berm or high wall on that property line to contain ricochets. What he's doing is flat out reckless. It may be legal - for now - but those kind of antics are eventually going to get someone injured. His backstop is his shed - beyond that is a canal and other homes. He's got an apartment building near to his "range" that could be struck by ricocheting rounds.

I notice you're in Texas as well. Law here in Texas says rounds may not leave your property, and most counties have an ordinance requiring 10+ acres that are not in a platted subdivision in order to lawfully shoot on your property. We have a hair under 3 acres ourselves, and unless I dug a deep pit, or built a covered range bermed on 3 sides, there's no way I could safely shoot on my property even if it were legal, and the closest homes to mine are a lot further away than this gentleman's.

This guy looks like he doesn't even have half an acre, and he's surrounded by residences, shooting in his driveway. Good luck finding people to agree that such behavior is safe, and its because of people who act unreasonably on their own like this guy, that "lawmakers" put stupid restrictions into the law like minimal lot sizes, or flat out ban shooting that isn't on an official range.

The guy in the video talked about doing things safely, and how he spent over $600 on his tiny little back stop - but put zero effort into containing ricochets from leaving his property. I don't think you need a statutory minimal lot size, but I also don't think you should be popping rounds off in a residential area in the open. Your range should be sufficient to contain the rounds fired. If the guy wants to build a reinforced range in his garage - with appropriately strong walls / ceiling - go for it, but no way would I get behind what he's doing.
And this guy in Florida... clearly not in handcuffs

Im in Wood county, outside of city limits. Other then the land owner "me" saying its ok, nothing beyond public safety applies.
Like i said in my original post, Im buddies with the local PD and sheriff. The neighbors no better then to play that game. I have a very safe 500 yard range in a 20' deep wash.

F/A mag dumps and tannerite our a weekly event

Why dont to come over to texasguntalk like big boys

A case of buyer beware, an 8 month resident complaining about a police training range that's been there for more than 70 years... It never seems to change... Don't like the noise of the police range, move...

:s0054:
LOL, one range I knew had a new development built right next to it. They sold a couple of units, less than 50 yards from one of the firing lines, while the range was temporarily closed. The new owners were livid when the range reopened. They called the Police, but they had already been notified that the range was back in operation. Nothing they could do about it. According to them the realtor told them that you couldn't hear the range from inside. :rolleyes:

I remember many years ago having some friends that had a house north of Bend, OR and their back yard bordered the RR track. Other than a chain link fence that was it.

So I am over there one day at a BBQ and the train whizzes by and my friend just keeps talking to me like nothing was happening.

He told me later after a short amount of time living there they never really noticed it anymore.

I remember many years ago having some friends that had a house north of Bend, OR and their back yard bordered the RR track. Other than a chain link fence that was it.

So I am over there one day at a BBQ and the train whizzes by and my friend just keeps talking to me like nothing was happening.

He told me later after a short amount of time living there they never really noticed it anymore.
I had an apartment next to railroad tracks in college and that's how it went for me and most of my roommates. Once in a great while one would come through on a Sunday when none were scheduled. That kind of sucked but it didn't happen often.

I stayed at a RV park in castle rock wa (exit 52) for a few months. Every 20 mins a train would go by. They would whale on that horn and the ground would shake. Honestly felt like a earth quack. After a while it was like rocking a baby to sleep.

For the people who live out in the country to where the distance is safe, and its just a noise thing, this is why suppressors should not be an NFA item. If there was no tax stamp hoops to jump through a LOT more people would use one gladly.

When I was a kid one of my early homes was a small trailer, maybe 8x40 that was as close as legal to a main 2 track line. It was cheap, I just wanted my own place. The entire trailer would rock when trains went by night and day. I soon slept through it and had many buddies look at me in shock. We would be sitting there having a cold one, train would go by and they would ask me that same thing. I really just no longer noticed it. :D

This guy looks like he doesn't even have half an acre, and he's surrounded by residences, shooting in his driveway.
It's only my opinion, but I don't agree with the Florida guy that his range is safe. There are opportunities for ricochet. He looked out onto the canal to see if any boats were passing by. But on the other side of the canal are residences. He shows concern for a passing boat but not a fixed position residence in the same potential line of fire.

Beyond obvious safety issues, he is being highly discourteous to his neighbors. They are too close not to be impacted by noise pollution. Not everyone is happy to hear gunfire. Some people have thyroid disorder that results in startling reaction to such noise. It doesn't appear to be a situation where he built the range years and years before other neighbors moved in.

And the moron is shooting right next to a fairly new, large travel trailer. When I did my time as an NRA trained RSO, I don't know how many times I've seen unintended discharges. From the bench. Not that big of a deal because they all go downrange, no consequences. Because everything forward of the bench is impact area in one way or another. But in that guy's driveway, he doesn't have a lot of lane for error.

He may think he's following the letter of the law. But a court of law may decide differently, especially in a civil lawsuit for negligent homicide or damages. Damages, like, "Your honor, my client has been subjected to unrelenting gunfire by his neighbor, Mr. X, who fires guns near his property. So much so that my client has suffered irreparable damage to his sex life. The gunfire has permanently damaged his libido and therefore this is the basis for our claim of damage." Or, "Your honor, my client has a home business, the constant gunfire next to his home has impaired his ability to concentrate on his work. Which has resulted in serious pecuniary damage to his business." Or similar complaints.

People should always use common sense and common courtesy when using firearms for recreation.

A case of buyer beware, an 8 month resident complaining about a police training range that's been there for more than 70 years... It never seems to change... Don't like the noise of the police range, move...

:s0054:
20 years ago I was living in Redding Kalifornia. Some idiots buy a plot of land NEXT to a public shooting range. After they built the house they SUCCESSFULLY sued to get the shooting range closed down. Apparently those bangs and booms made them scared....

It amazed me that they won the lawsuit and we lost a place to shoot.

My wife and I were enjoying a quite Sunday afternoon when the neighbor started firing his shotgun 100 feet from our house with no backstop. We had no advance notice or phone call - they have our phone number. Needless to say, we jumped out of seats and hit the ground.

I drive sometimes 20 - 30 miles to go shooting where it is safe and doesn't bother anyone. We had the Sheriffs Deputy come out and we all got together and discussed the situation. Although legal, it is not courteous to start blasting so near other houses. He is surrounded by houses on all sides. He has 3 acres,, but it is only about 250 feet wide. 4 houses are visible from where he is shooting.

We have become friends and no gunfire since.

The guy in the OP's video is not helping gun owners, unless he has talked to all his neighbors in advance. He is too close to boat traffic and other houses.

And this guy in Florida... clearly not in handcuffs

Im in Wood county, outside of city limits. Other then the land owner "me" saying its ok, nothing beyond public safety applies.
Like i said in my original post, Im buddies with the local PD and sheriff. The neighbors no better then to play that game. I have a very safe 500 yard range in a 20' deep wash.

F/A mag dumps and tannerite our a weekly event

Why dont to come over to texasguntalk like big boys
Already over there too.

A 500 yard range in a 20' deep wash is way different than a 20 yard range in your residential driveway.

It's only my opinion, but I don't agree with the Florida guy that his range is safe. There are opportunities for ricochet. He looked out onto the canal to see if any boats were passing by. But on the other side of the canal are residences. He shows concern for a passing boat but not a fixed position residence in the same potential line of fire.

Beyond obvious safety issues, he is being highly discourteous to his neighbors. They are too close not to be impacted by noise pollution. Not everyone is happy to hear gunfire. Some people have thyroid disorder that results in startling reaction to such noise. It doesn't appear to be a situation where he built the range years and years before other neighbors moved in.

And the moron is shooting right next to a fairly new, large travel trailer. When I did my time as an NRA trained RSO, I don't know how many times I've seen unintended discharges. From the bench. Not that big of a deal because they all go downrange, no consequences. Because everything forward of the bench is impact area in one way or another. But in that guy's driveway, he doesn't have a lot of lane for error.

He may think he's following the letter of the law. But a court of law may decide differently, especially in a civil lawsuit for negligent homicide or damages. Damages, like, "Your honor, my client has been subjected to unrelenting gunfire by his neighbor, Mr. X, who fires guns near his property. So much so that my client has suffered irreparable damage to his sex life. The gunfire has permanently damaged his libido and therefore this is the basis for our claim of damage." Or, "Your honor, my client has a home business, the constant gunfire next to his home has impaired his ability to concentrate on his work. Which has resulted in serious pecuniary damage to his business." Or similar complaints.

People should always use common sense and common courtesy when using firearms for recreation.
I have no idea what his backstop is made of, but it's too small for starters. This close to other people, I would want side berms the full length of the range.

I have no idea what his backstop is made of, but it's too small for starters. This close to other people, I would want side berms the full length of the range.
He states in his video his backstop is wood - appears to be layers of 2x6. He says it cost him $600 to build. Unless we're talking post COVID scarcity pricing, I don't see $600 worth of wood there.

When I was a kid one of my early homes was a small trailer, maybe 8x40 that was as close as legal to a main 2 track line. It was cheap, I just wanted my own place. The entire trailer would rock when trains went by night and day. I soon slept through it and had many buddies look at me in shock. We would be sitting there having a cold one, train would go by and they would ask me that same thing. I really just no longer noticed it. :D

Yep and not always gun related.

Many years ago some people from CA moved into a rural property in Redmond, OR close to some long term property owners that had a few cattle, horses, and assorted other animals. Kind of 'hobby farmers'.

Well new neighbors didn't like the smell, complained and went public with it and of course sued.

It was in the news at the time and the people kept up their harassment but they ultimately lost due to prevailing laws protecting the animal owners due to them already being there.
Not just being there first, if you live next to a farm, and the farm brings in pigs, too bad so sad - it is a farm, zoned as a farm, whether it had apples previously and now pigs or not.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top