JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree...preparedness is important with a submissive dog like mine. Lots of good suggestions here i appreciate it. And i also agree the gun should be an absolute last resort. Im not the type to carry a walking stick or paton but the uses for them seem very practical. I'm going to research more training/strategy so i can act quickly with proven technique...just like anything else. Keeping my right to bear arms is important to me so I need to plan ahead with that goal in mind. Thanks again

I agree...preparedness is important with a submissive dog like mine. Lots of good suggestions here i appreciate it. And i also agree the gun should be an absolute last resort. Im not the type to carry a walking stick or paton but the uses for them seem very practical. I'm going to research more training/strategy so i can act quickly with proven technique...just like anything else. Keeping my right to bear arms is important to me so I need to plan ahead with that goal in mind. Thanks again

Train in Kali/Arnis/Escrima and you'll be trained to use a weapon like a stick. It's hella fun, too

I don't doubt that at all... but I was thinking more along the lines of methods that dog trainers or 'dog people' know that work. I'll let you know what I come up with. I've heard lots of wise tales about what works but I know there has got to be literature out there teaching proven techniques

If I see someone shoot my dog or dogs I will feel that I am in danger of being shot next - so game on. Be careful of whose dog you shoot - it might get interesting. On the other hand as a owner of two dogs it is my responsibility to manage and ensure my dogs are not getting into trouble. My dogs are not out of my backyard unless I am with them. Escalation is a **** of a thing but it happens all the time. If I am not there when it happens I cant do anything about it but you had better be justified in which ever direction you choose, my dogs are my kids.

I don't doubt that at all... but I was thinking more along the lines of methods that dog trainers or 'dog people' know that work. I'll let you know what I come up with. I've heard lots of wise tales about what works but I know there has got to be literature out there teaching proven techniques

One proven technique is deployment of an umbrella in the dog's face.. works 99% of the time

Orig. posted by JG,,,"If I see someone shoot my dog or dogs I will feel that I am in danger of being shot next", I understand your feelings JG, nobody wants to see a loved one harmed. You make very good points regarding ownership responsibilities and also the justification for having to endure the need to shoot someones dog. Shooting a dog isnt a pleasnt thing, It leaves one wondering why and how it happened. That escalation thing though,, that's the tough part. Two thumbs up:s0155::s0155: to Blitz, I'm an old lineman by trade and have deployed the "pop" and barrier of the umbrella myself and it truly works.

A lineman and you used and umbrella? Seems about 2ft of some big wire would do the trick.
I probably would have used ground wire and tied the dog to a pole.

We were working in Auburn years ago and a Pit rushed the welder.He jumped to the back of the flat bed and broke the dog's tail with a shovel.It was retreating real fast when he picked up the shovel.

The umbrella works because it spooks the dog's psyche. Not a cure all but it worked the few times I needed to use it

Most of the time I had enough dog savvy and situation to go into yards with even trained guard dogs. They are smarter than you think and can discern if you are there to help or hurt the master. The breed does not matter in that case, if you can talk to them and have the right body language. I can

I would think twice if I was in a dog park, but if I was walking my dog or in my yard you can bet your *** I would blast that Mo-Fo. I have seen a few real dog fights though and it would be hard to get a clean shot if you don't get right up in there.

My dad ended up with a ton of stiches when a dog fight at a softball game started on top of my brother pretty much. Now he is a big dude 6'4'' 230lbs, but he was kicking and yelling and still got bit up pretty good. I was young, but that is a pretty vivid memory. He got my brother out un harmed, but he did get tore up pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate to use leathal force to defend my family, which includes my animals. I also would like to have one of those irish walking sticks to use first.

If you are going to shoot some one when your dogs are out of control then you need help. I have 3 dogs of my own and evey one of them is like a child to me, however if my dog got loose and attacked another pet or person I would put the dog down myself. If you are a responsible pet owner then it should never be a worry to have that happen but if it does don't be stupid, be mindful that it happened because of YOUR mistake and if you think a person deserves a bullet it might be you

If you are going to shoot some one when your dogs are out of control then you need help. I have 3 dogs of my own and evey one of them is like a child to me, however if my dog got loose and attacked another pet or person I would put the dog down myself. If you are a responsible pet owner then it should never be a worry to have that happen but if it does don't be stupid, be mindful that it happened because of YOUR mistake and if you think a person deserves a bullet it might be you

+1 Well said.

:s0155:

Trying to break up a dog fight by kick or other means is a good way to get bit, by your dog as well as the other dog. Often time K-9 handlers get bit by there own dog if they are not careful and are trained to avoid that.
In my naive sense of right or wrong I would hope no prosecutor would press charges for one shooting an attacking dog that has injured your dog as long as you use common sense. If you are afraid for the life of your dog and you are lawfully armed and walking your dog complying with city or county code there should be no problems. Keep in mind what is behind your target, if a human is harmed because of your shooting all bets are off.

Wow, I'm glad I posted in this Legendary Thread!

e1b0e-Legendary_Thread.jpg

On the serious note, I can't say what I would do walking my non existent dog and if it was attacked. I can say though that I would first grab and beat the living *(#*#* out of the animal and when it turned to me, I have full intentions of reaching my hand down it's throat, grabbing it's tail and pulling it inside out. No joke. Then once it turns on me it's fair game... pop goes the powder! I will not hesitate to protect my family (animals are extensions of my family if they live in the house)

To shoot or not to shoot: When an aggressive dog bites

If one were to click here or here on today’s Northwest Firearms forum, they would find discussions about self-defense against aggressive dogs, and a case scheduled to go to trial next Tuesday in Carmel, Indiana might offer pause for serious thought about what actions an armed citizen might take if attacked by a canine.

<broken link removed>

Sorry but that's just not very bright. So the dog that had no problem biting an adult,lets go of his leg and shreds a child's leg or FACE next time.

If a dog will bite YOU,an adult,it will indeed hurt a child without even thinking about it,and that dog needed to be shot.

UPDATE: Not Guilty verdict in dog ‘warning shot’ case

Evergreen State gun rights activists may cheer today’s outcome of a self-defense shooting case involving a dog attack that this column discussed here.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR