Shooting a Dog to protect your dog justified?

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by RallySoob, Mar 15, 2011.

1. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    (2- " Q " -+1)
    Civility is a two way street. Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

OP Answer, NO!

You can't use a firearm to protect property............Dogs are property.

Harming you, is different. Harming dog, in the eyes of the law is the same as if they ate your couch.

Exclusion is MWD's and LED's

2. JRuby

JRuby
    St. Helens Oregon

I do.everything possible to.not hurt my or others companions and hope it never happens but if I have to shoot some couch to protect my own so be it. I can picture a hundred different scenarios in my mind and think how I will respond but until it happens it's all a guess how it will turn out if it ever comes to happen.

ravenswood likes this.
  3. Wombat of Doom

Wombat of Doom
    Beaverton
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

A long time ago in a different state I shot a pitbull with a large dart out of a highly customized air rifle. I had crusted it with salt, and the thing went down from sheer pain. Had to shove it out of my backyard with a section of plywood and three other people. It was gone come morning. I always wondered what the owners thought, getting their dog limping home with an 8 inch dart in it. (I could see it had tags, and my guy barely survived, and it was at least 3 dogs attacked my two coming over the fence. 2 the dogs killed) I don't know, if a dog is close enough to be this kind of threat, the distance is going to be contact and straight down.

4. JRuby

JRuby
    St. Helens Oregon

When I grew up back in Michigan dogs that chase deer or livestock wete killed and there was no discussion. When I was out one time hunting pheasants with an Irish Settet by the name of Red we kicked a white tailed deer across an alfalfa field. The deer took off and my dog followed in close pursuit
    I called him and he did not come so when he got about 40-50 yards out i.shot him in the bubblegum. He yelped but he stopped the pursuit of the deer and came back. I never saw him chase another deer and he lived to a ripe old age. I have thought over the years about this and how it could have gone wrong. I got lucky and so did Red. He has been gone a long time and I still miss him.

DunRanull and Flymph like this.
  5. GWS

GWS
    Vancouver

Agreed It's the couch's owner who is responsible for its actions and if their going to be lazy boy and not keep their furniture on a leash then they have to accept the consequences. Look at your history!! A bunch of Turks didn't control their footstools and the next thing you know, the Ottomans ran amok all over the middle east and it took WW I to finally put them into recline.

wp4, JRuby and Lilhigbee like this.
  6. ma96782

ma96782
    Vancouver, WA

Put me on the jury.

Aloha, Mark

wp4 likes this.
  7. thereddog

thereddog
    State of Jefferson

The problem with dog fights, is that all the ones I have witnessed have been a blur of action.

It might be hard to get a clear shot of the aggressor, and you could kill your own dog. If the aggressor was locked on the throat of the other dog, It might be possible to run up to it and shoot a round into the dirt up close to the aggressors head. The noise might startle the aggressor and get it to let go. If It didn't, then I'd kill it and take the consequences. My dog is a member of my family and a best friend to all of us. He'd do anything for me, and I'd do anything for him. Period.