JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...I wasn't going to say anything... lol

I prob would of kept the covert mission to myself had I been in that situation but I hear where he is coming from. If the law wouldn't get my dog back I might seek 'other options' myself.

I have nothing to hide. I did what had to be done. I will not let someone steal my dog. What I did was wrong but I had no idea what he was planning. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I rather get my dog back than what for worthless agencies to do something.

Some things are more important than the law. I like the term covert. I should have put my old BDU's on, camo the face and act like I was back in Iraq. LOL

I think most dog lovers here would do the same. I treat them the same as my kids.

in the eyes of the law dogs and other pets are considered property and nothing more you cannot shoot a person for stealing your dog anymore than your car from your driveway and you cannot shoot your gun for a dog endangering your property( pet) ...... the law may vary when it comes to your land and livestock.

this question came up in my CHL and we got skinny on how this plays out in court. In a dog park it looks alot like reckless endangerment. you'll lose your right to own guns. I'm not sure I'd let my pet get chewed up though

This thread is so full of win posts, this could become an epic thread.

Shooting pets.
Iwasheretowitnessthisepicthread.gif

I've had to stop a few fights involving a pitbull before. I never thought to shoot the other dog, because they're both mine :mad:, the pit doesn't always get along. I wrestle them apart and head lock the pitbull.

If it was at a park with a unknown dog to me, and I had my gun, i'd first try to body tackle the other dog to pin it on the ground, if that doesn't work, kick the bubblegum out of the other dog to get it off, even if the owner was right there yelling. If it still was latched on, i'd shoot the ground, if it still was latched on, and ripping away, i'd get up real close and off that pos.

Screw the spray. Shoot the damn dog if it's attacking. Clean up the mess afterward while you gently pet your beloved and grateful dog, which survived as a result of your timely intervention. Pay the fine, do the weekend. Whatever. It's your dog for cryin' out loud.

My dawg's my family yo.

Seriously, our Golden and our Mini Doxie have a special place in our family. I bought our Dachsund for my wife when we were dating and we've been together 10 years. I would not hesitate to put down a serious threat to her. Prudently. If I had to shoot I would. If you'd kill a jackrabbit, coyote, deer, for sport (in addition to other reasons), why would you hesitate to protect a loved family member? However, if there was the option of other means, and the time, I would explore those first. Pepper spray is probably an excellent idea. So is a "warning shot" or any other loud noisemaker. Kicking the **it out if it (if possible) is also a viable choice. Point being.....I would avoid discharging a firearm in a public place, and shooting someone else's dog as much as possible, but...you gotta do what you gotta do. I also would point out that if it's a pit, rottie, dobie, or other breed dog that is known for being able to throw down some whup*ss, it's a little different than another breed that's likely to just cause some bleeding and bruises. And some of the aforementioned "aggressive" dogs are really docile. It just depends on the dog individually. I've seen pits that would rip your face off if given the chance, and others that would run and pee in a corner at the sound of a male's voice. Just use good judgement before you pop one off in a fool.

If a unleashed, uncontrolled dog attacks my dogs, I will do what it takes to get it stopped and killing the attacking dog would not be an issue for me. I carry to protect me and my family and our dogs are family. I rather lie and say that the dog was trying to get to me or my wife than take a chance on losing our babies...

i wish i could shoot cats...just sayin

Me too. I used to shoot alot of them growing up. We had feral cats all over the 10 acres. The neighbors started it. Dad hated cats and taught me the same. Then he handed me a .22 and a 500 rd brick.

It was on.

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty......

Now my wife's pregnant and I'm forced to cater to two of them by changing the litter box for her babies every day.

Kitty Karma.

My dawg's my family yo.

Seriously, our Golden and our Mini Doxie have a special place in our family. I bought our Dachsund for my wife when we were dating and we've been together 10 years. I would not hesitate to put down a serious threat to her. Prudently. If I had to shoot I would. If you'd kill a jackrabbit, coyote, deer, for sport (in addition to other reasons), why would you hesitate to protect a loved family member? However, if there was the option of other means, and the time, I would explore those first. Pepper spray is probably an excellent idea. So is a "warning shot" or any other loud noisemaker. Kicking the **it out if it (if possible) is also a viable choice. Point being.....I would avoid discharging a firearm in a public place, and shooting someone else's dog as much as possible, but...you gotta do what you gotta do. I also would point out that if it's a pit, rottie, dobie, or other breed dog that is known for being able to throw down some whup*ss, it's a little different than another breed that's likely to just cause some bleeding and bruises. And some of the aforementioned "aggressive" dogs are really docile. It just depends on the dog individually. I've seen pits that would rip your face off if given the chance, and others that would run and pee in a corner at the sound of a male's voice. Just use good judgement before you pop one off in a fool.

Many examples of the breeds you mention are actually quite harmless, especially if you get all crazy on them as they approach.. they are just canines, pets, and quite easy to spook. Another approach I have used is my ability to accurately toss serious~sized stones.. works great

WOW some good stuff and bad stuff here.

Lets got back say 40+ years (closer to 45) My uncle gives us a Weimaraner,it's tearing up the box it's in,I scared to death
My neighbor has a huge (I was 7 so who knows) Shepard the eventually went to the Stae patrol or such.Always chased me on my bike.It could fly.

Go forward to 9 years ago.I get a Rottweiler mix.She's pretty dominant so no worries of dogs attacking her.My friend's pit female and her just stayed 5 feet away from each other,never wanted to mix it up.

Now with that said,I learned to dominate her and control dogs.Rotties need to be controlled or you have a real bad situation on your hands.
Funny thing is,with her being so dominant,people ask if she will defend me.
HAHAHA,she thinks she's in charge of every dog,and I am in charge of her.She kinda figures it's the dog's problem,not mine.

But taking her to a dog park was the best dog training I could have ever had.Again she is dominant and does very well at the dog park.My submissive dog doesn't.

Anywho,I learned how to stop dog fights and drop dogs that are fighting.(never mine,nobody tried her). People don't watch their dogs and,really don't have a clue as how to stop a fight or are scared to do it.

GRAB THE BACK LEGS OF ONE OF THE DOGS AND KICK THE OTHER IF NECESSARY .Can't do much if the back legs are off the ground.
Or grab in front of the back leg and the neck,lift and slam.Put one leg across the hips,on the sdmall of the trunk and the other on the neck at the base of the skull.
Hold until the dog stops moving.Always control the head,never be afraid of being bit,or you will be.

There is absolutely no way you should shoot a dog attacking yours unless it is killing your dog or it is in your yard.There are many more means to stop a dog.

One lady I met carried a cattle prod.Seems a neighborhood Rot came out and attacked her Golden Retriever.
If you don't know,a cattle prod is a stick with enough electricity to shock a 1500# stupid animal.I'm sure it will stop most dogs.
That stick Blitz has would work.
A knee or foot to the head works
A knee or foot to the soft belly works.
But you need to make sure you can keep the dog from biting you.And being very aggressive when doing these thing helps.You can't show fear.

I walk right up to them and look them in the eye.They don't know how to react.

Now some Rots and pits aren't sure they like this and may not care if you are a bad a$$.So you need to be ready to kick or hit them with something.
Not on the head,it may not effect them.On the tip of the nose yes.Neck,legs,soft belly,nutz

My little dog is a wimp,so we don't go to dog parks.Plus some take exception to me dropping their dogs,even when it was attacking a much smaller dog.Gets me in pissin matches.I have no problem telling people they shouldn't even own a dog.
If your dog is a wimp or smaller,watch the dog park first,before you take your dog.It won't take but 2 visits to see how stupid most are at these parks.People not the dogs.

Again there are so many ways to subdue a dog,there is no reason to put yourself in jail by shooting another dog.Make one of those snares that the animal control guys have for home.

Only way it can go OK is on your property or neighbor hood and you and others have reported the dog many times,as aggressive. Or on a farm.

Many examples of the breeds you mention are actually quite harmless, especially if you get all crazy on them as they approach.. they are just canines, pets, and quite easy to spook. Another approach I have used is my ability to accurately toss serious~sized stones.. works great

Yes they are. You're right. That's what I was trying to get at. I would be a little more on guard at one of those approaching, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a vicious killer.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top