JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
C3383A68-53F3-4874-A122-EA0CFDF9F8A5.gif

I understand you can shoot a dog if you feel your life is in danger from a dog attack.

But what if you are walking your nice retriever at the park and a pit bull attacks your dog? Say it has a hold of your retrievers neck and you know your dog is about to be killed. Is shooting the attacking dog justified?

I cannot find any info on this in the ordinance... I carry when I walk my dog and was thinking about the senario being a possibility when a pitbull was severely harrasing us and I had to fend it off with a stick. Thankfully the dog's intentions were to mount my retriever but what if its intentions were to kill my dog?:confused:

ORS 609.150 - Right to kill dog that harms or chases livestock - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes
ORS 609.125 - Definition of "livestock" - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes
When It's Legal to Kill a Dog
OR - Dog - Consolidated Dog Laws | Animal Legal & Historical Center

Complain to animal control, especially if you know who the owner of the dog is.

That way you have a record of the incident to help protect your rights in the future.

Reverse, I was walking my two older pit bulls about 6 months ago, rainy day, walking in an area where I walk frequently. Came upon a burnt out house with a fence around it and a parked car in front of it. I saw a black retriever on the inside of the fence, run up to and under the fence, ran around the front of the parked car (my dogs at this point could not see the dog). The retriever came around the front of the parked car then the right side. Ran right past my blue nose pit and straight for my red nose pit. They collided chest to chest and my dog was completely surprised by this action. Almost immediately they start to fight. This goes back and forth for about 20 seconds. I am trying to keep control of my blue nose and separate the two dogs. I was pretty much unsuccessful because as soon as I get them separated they'd go at it again. after another 30 more seconds I call to a neighbor to come over and assist, she comes over and asked what she can do, to which I tell her to grab the retriever by the back of the collar and pull back. This still doesn't separate the dogs who are biting each other neck to neck. Out of desperation I make sure my blue nose is behind me and I get down on my knees and punch the retriever hard in the snout. He flinches and they both continue their biting and shaking. In my head I'm trying to decide do I pull my knife out and stab the dog in the neck or do I pull my gun and shoot it. I decide one more try and punching him (this is all happening within 2 or 3 seconds) I punch it in the side of the snout even harder, luckily this time it releases. I instruct the girl to pull it backwards. I check my dog and not much that is visible as far as bleeding or anything else. I tell the lady to report this dog to the neighbor and I leave with both my dogs almost immediately because I don't want her to lose control of the dog she has. Now in addition to the knife and the gun I now have a bottle of SABRE Bear spray/gel 20' range attached to the lead of the lease in case one of my kids are walking the dogs and have an issue. So be careful out there, and don't always assume its the pits fault. I have raised both of mine to not instigate a fight, however if pushed they will definitely fight back.

I understand you can shoot a dog if you feel your life is in danger from a dog attack.

But what if you are walking your nice retriever at the park and a pit bull attacks your dog? Say it has a hold of your retrievers neck and you know your dog is about to be killed. Is shooting the attacking dog justified?

I cannot find any info on this in the ordinance... I carry when I walk my dog and was thinking about the senario being a possibility when a pitbull was severely harrasing us and I had to fend it off with a stick. Thankfully the dog's intentions were to mount my retriever but what if its intentions were to kill my dog?:confused:

I receive no joy from hurting or killing a dog. My dog means a great deal to me so I keep him close and under control when we are out. If a dog attacks me or my dog I will kill it. I would try to prevent this from happening but if I thought my dogs life was in danger i would have no option.

I use to take my dog out to 1000 acre dog park out in Gresham. It is an off leash park. People do not understand that having your dog off leash is not the same as a free for all. If you cant comtrol your dog when it is off leash then it should not be off leash in public. I finally bought my own property for my dog to run. Its funny he now spends most of his time like this.

20181226_154132.jpg

Last Edited:
It is an off leash park. People do not understand that having your dog off leash is not t hr e same as a free for all. If you cant comtrol your dog when it is off leash then it should not be off leash in public. I

This is so true.
We walk our dog , Watson off leash , almost always...but he obeys our commands....Of course there is a a time and place for off leash or on leash.
Like anything it is important to know yourself and in this case know your dog as well.
Andy

I live extra-rural (on a forested mountain) and neighbors let their dogs run loose for the most part, I get along with all the dogs, but they have caused other people and other dogs problems. But there have been problems where the dogs get into fights with each other - so two neighbors have taken to only letting their dogs out on a leash. The other neighbors have not, but as far as I know those particular dogs have not caused problems - it is just one that has and now does not because now it is kept on a leash and another dog (same owner) has now gone away with a member of the family who moved.

I also noticed that in this neighborhood more problems seemed to be caused by two dogs ganging up on another dog.

Well, if it has my dog by the neck and I can't kick him off then I will use lethal force to save my dog and sort the rest out later. It's a very simple choice for me.

I almost had to shoot a pitbull recently at the dog park over off 162nd in NE Vancouver. Luckily I was able to pry him off the other persons dog without hurting him. I have been quiet about it for the last couple months because there was still a chance the lady was going to press charges against the owners. I really need to write about it now that it is all settled.
I am curious to hear this story. Pits and dog park are a particular concern of mine.

I called Yakima County animal control about a stray dog chasing my cats.
He said any dog attacking a person, pet or livestock can be shot, just make sure to shoot to kill.
If it was just wounded I could be held financially responsible for vet bills.
My Dad shot 3 pits that had killed a calf and was after another one.
He called the sheriff at 11PM and told them he was the one shooting and why.
They said OK thanks we won't have to dispatch a sheriff to investigate.
I talked Dad out of hanging the dead dogs on a fence post so the gang bangers would know what happened.
They knew, but also knew it was best to just let it go.

I'd say you'd have to be down right stupid to fire your gun at a dog that's not only in close proximity to my your dog, but most likely people in a public area, maybe kids at a park, etc. If you need a gun to solve this problem you should leave your gun at home.

I've had this problem happen before and a blade fixes the issue quickly, far more precisely ( for all you "sharpshooters" who think you can hit the quick moving dog that has your dog locked in his jaws...), and ends threat permanently.

It's pretty appaling how eager some of you are to fire your weapon in a public space when you aren't in danger yourself. You're more likely to hit another person, or your own dog, and you will go to jail and be sued.
Can you elaborate on the method you used with the blade? Some here were theorizing... Seems almost equally bad as the gun to me, I broke up a lot of dog fights as a kid wiwith swift kicks to the head.

I stabbed the dog at the base of their skull as it was facing away from me and was safest approach to end the threat to my dog who was much smaller and died later of his wounds. I was not arrested because there were witnesses to the event.

I am sorry to hear about your pup. :mad::(

Did the strike instantly incapacitate the attacking dog? I.e. sever the spine? Large knife or standard 3-4" pocket knife?

Hindsite beiing 20/20, and if we temporarily ignore the risk of bystanders( I walk my dog in the park early and late when few people are out) do you think the time to get your knife out and get to the dog was a deciding factor, would a gun have been faster/fast enough to make a difference?

Did you wait for cops to arrive? Or leave your information and go asap to the vet?

If these questions are too personal tell me to screw off and I apoligize. Just curious. Have had some close calls at some dog parks/walks before.

Thsnk you, I appreciate it.

It was just a basic flip out kershaw 3 inches. I jabbed it as hard as I could into his back neck area and twisted, the dog pretty much instantly died. For me even though I daily carry my standard to draw and fire my weapon in a public place is higher then this situation calls for. A knife seemed more practical and as I said precise. The dog was thrashing around and the owner was still holding the leash in a public park. No way was I letting off rounds. It's easy to say you'd do it to sound like a bad bubblegum, but it's not realistic for most situations like this and not worth jail or being sued.

I waited for the cops and the owner was super apologetic even though I killed his dog. But mine was barely breathing either. I knew he waa going to die and he did of probably blood loss soon after. Cops took the report, but nothing came of it.

Damn man that is so horrible. I am so sorry. Thank you for elaborating. I agree what you described is probably much safer in a dog park type environement.

We try to keep our dog away from other dogs and just let him play with his frisbee. It is the only place he can really run off leash.

Good job staying calm and collected.

Damn

I no longer have any canines cuz walking them kills me these days (Would like a small yap-dog but havent found one yet). Used to keep samoyeds and wolfdogs and they did like to fight, esp the alpha males. Mostly walked them on leash or used command to control depending on the beast. Funny how dogs safely behind a fence can be so ferocious!
Now I am overrun with cats. Cats out the wazzoo, this began years ago when my daughter fed all the strays in the area.. and they kept showing up for meals:eek: after she moved out... Most are in or outdoor, depending.. I tell The Blonde to quit feedin them on MY dime but she doesnt listen. I don't beat her enuff I guess.:cool: When I tell her that she says "You got to sleep sometime":s0129:..
I did shoot a large tom some years ago- he was killing kittens and then went after the alpha male. Grabbed the .22 by the door and hollered at my cat do back off- he did and I shot the feral.. he jumped 3-4 ft into the air and did a couple backflips and flopped down dead. THAT took care of a lot of the feral tom issues for awhile. Meanwhile my alpha learned who was the REAL alpha around the place:D..

OP Answer, NO!

You can't use a firearm to protect property............Dogs are property.

Harming you, is different. Harming dog, in the eyes of the law is the same as if they ate your couch.

Exclusion is MWD's and LED's

I do.everything possible to.not hurt my or others companions and hope it never happens but if I have to shoot some couch to protect my own so be it. I can picture a hundred different scenarios in my mind and think how I will respond but until it happens it's all a guess how it will turn out if it ever comes to happen.

A long time ago in a different state I shot a pitbull with a large dart out of a highly customized air rifle. I had crusted it with salt, and the thing went down from sheer pain. Had to shove it out of my backyard with a section of plywood and three other people. It was gone come morning. I always wondered what the owners thought, getting their dog limping home with an 8 inch dart in it. (I could see it had tags, and my guy barely survived, and it was at least 3 dogs attacked my two coming over the fence. 2 the dogs killed) I don't know, if a dog is close enough to be this kind of threat, the distance is going to be contact and straight down.

When I grew up back in Michigan dogs that chase deer or livestock wete killed and there was no discussion. When I was out one time hunting pheasants with an Irish Settet by the name of Red we kicked a white tailed deer across an alfalfa field. The deer took off and my dog followed in close pursuit
I called him and he did not come so when he got about 40-50 yards out i.shot him in the bubblegum. He yelped but he stopped the pursuit of the deer and came back. I never saw him chase another deer and he lived to a ripe old age. I have thought over the years about this and how it could have gone wrong. I got lucky and so did Red. He has been gone a long time and I still miss him.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top