JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I understand you can shoot a dog if you feel your life is in danger from a dog attack.

But what if you are walking your nice retriever at the park and a pit bull attacks your dog? Say it has a hold of your retrievers neck and you know your dog is about to be killed. Is shooting the attacking dog justified?

I cannot find any info on this in the ordinance... I carry when I walk my dog and was thinking about the senario being a possibility when a pitbull was severely harrasing us and I had to fend it off with a stick. Thankfully the dog's intentions were to mount my retriever but what if its intentions were to kill my dog?:confused:

I would shoot it but also be prepared to pay the fine for discharging a firearm in city limits if that were where I was at the time. I live in the country so that's not an issue but the pit bull owner might be in court but only if they found out what happened to the dog. I would fire a round into the ground and hope the dog would run off first before killing it though but thats my preference. If the dog did run off I would still try to find out who owned it and call the animal control (dog catcher) to request/demand that the dog be put down. I do not approve of dogs being let to live once they have tasted blood whether they are mine or someone elses.

I almost had to shoot a pitbull recently at the dog park over off 162nd in NE Vancouver. Luckily I was able to pry him off the other persons dog without hurting him. I have been quiet about it for the last couple months because there was still a chance the lady was going to press charges against the owners. I really need to write about it now that it is all settled.

Tricky question and I understand the point being made. If it was my dog being attacked I would get the other dog off I would not shoot and if somebody shot my dog for a fight I might shoot them. This is a catch 22 for both sides and it is hard being in both positions.

To be honest I think if you shot a dog attacking yours in a park you would be arrested and charged for something and you would not get away with it. Plus you most likely would be sued in court. I know it would be a felony if the value of the dog was over a $1000 because somebody stole my dog. Long story short the police would not do anything because they could not tresspass to get him back as he was locked up in a barn in the backyard. Animal control said they cannot do anything for three days, so I went home grabbed a 1911 and sneaked into his yard and through a field and into the barn where my dog was locked in a kennel and I let me out and we ran to the fence and through the woods to my property..

If some dog attacked one of my dogs and I thought he/she was in danger I would not hesitate to shoot it. I have two Pit Bulls and they have been attacked by Rot's, German Sheppard's even a Lab. Thankfully they have never been seriously hurt and I was never I fear for them (once story below) it was more my kids so I put the dogs in front of everyone on the walk and get ready for **** to break lose as my wife and kids back away. The owner of the dogs always say it's OK he friendly I say o really why the **** is it showing its teeth and being aggressive?

We were at the dog park with our dogs when a (Male) BIG @SS Great Dane tried to mount our male(who was 11 at the time) and when my dog was trying to get away from him the Great Dane started to growl and bit him so I had the other pit (Female) with me and started running over there and told her to get him well she tackled the Great Dane (it was like a line backer going after a quarterback) I then called her back to me (after we found out he was hurt pretty bad I should have let her kick his @ss) as I was with the other dog who was hurt in the back legs from the weight of the dog (he had problems anyways on his back legs but the weight of that dog made it much worse)

Male is brown the female is blk/wht
DSC01626-1.jpg

I would fire a round into the ground and hope the dog would run off first before killing it though but thats my preference.

This is probably a good idea. Maybe even pistol whip the dog in the head 1st. I really would hate to have to shoot anyone's pet but I really care for my dog and the thought of her being killed in front of me just isn't acceptable. She's very passive and innocent...strictly a lover. If a dog wanted to kill her I would have no choice but to kill it even if it meant losing my right to own a gun forever. But I agree, if there was time to try something else it must be done 1st. I usually carry a pocket knife so I guess I could slit its throat or a jaw muscle first

*not talking about a regular dog fight...I'm referring to an attack by a dog that wants blood. My dog doesn't fight...

my dog:
0422002007.jpg

VS. a dog like this for instance...

thumbnail.aspx?q=590491691041&id=b7ee2a8974c9e6324b8dd7365adcd3e4.jpg

Would you hesitate if it were a coyote? Would you hesitate if it were a "stray" (rabid?) dog? Something as large/strong as a Pitbull going after your Retriever and "has it by the neck and it is about to be killed", why would saving it by shooting it being any different that beating it to death with a stick? Except as stated before, possibly being charged with discharging a firearm within city limits. Then again, is that dog park "within city limits"?

In court??? Where was the owner the whole time their vicious dog was off of its leash? The laws and courts do not side with what has been classified as vicious animals – Pitbulls, Rottweiler, etc. (as any Pitbull/Rottweiler/etc. owner can attest to).

I too walk and carry. Not ever having been in that situation (yet?) if all else failed to deter the attack, I would not hesitate to shoot it. Who's to say once it was done with my dog it wouldn't come after me?

An "ankle biter" going after your dog is a different story.

We rescue Rotties and of course walk them and have to constantly ward off dogs from teacup to Great Dane size. I train in and teach Kali so it was natural for me to gravitate to carrying one of these

Cold_Steel_Irish_Blackthorn_Walking_Stick_91PBS.jpg

It's lightweight but nearly indestructible and packs enough punch (if used properly) to make 'em see stars. I can throw it accurately up to about 40 feet, as well (hint: throw it horizontally like a boomerang)

It's a good way to ward them off without having to go to the next level. So far it's worked

PS: We have warded off pits and Rotties with such tools.. (my petite wife once warded off a loose Rottie with an entrencing shovel.. lol, it was just posturing against our large male show lines Rottie) most of them are not going to actually attack, they are posturing or as stated above, maybe trying to hump your dog.. first rule is Don't Panic

We rescue Rotties and of course walk them and have to constantly ward off dogs from teacup to Great Dane size. I train in and teach Kali so it was natural for me to gravitate to carrying one of these

Cold_Steel_Irish_Blackthorn_Walking_Stick_91PBS.jpg

It's lightweight but nearly indestructible and packs enough punch (if used properly) to make 'em see stars. I can throw it accurately up to about 40 feet, as well (hint: throw it horizontally like a boomerang)

It's a good way to ward them off without having to go to the next level. So far it's worked

PS: We have warded off pits and Rotties with such tools.. (my petite wife once warded off a loose Rottie with an entrencing shovel.. lol, it was just posturing against our large male show lines Rottie) most of them are not going to actually attack, they are posturing or as stated above, maybe trying to hump your dog.. first rule is Don't Panic

Thats one **** of a walking stick!

RCW 16.08.020
Dogs injuring stock may be killed.

It shall be lawful for any person who shall see any dog or dogs chasing, biting, injuring or killing any sheep, swine or other domestic animal, including poultry, belonging to such person, on any real property owned or leased by, or under the control of, such person, or on any public highway, to kill such dog or dogs, and it shall be the duty of the owner or keeper of any dog or dogs so found chasing, biting or injuring any domestic animal, including poultry, upon being notified of that fact by the owner of such domestic animals or poultry, to thereafter keep such dog or dogs in leash or confined upon the premises of the owner or keeper thereof, and in case any such owner or keeper of a dog or dogs shall fail or neglect to comply with the provisions of this section, it shall be lawful for the owner of such domestic animals or poultry to kill such dog or dogs found running at large.

Personally, I'd start with OC spray before escalating to shooting.

thanks AK56. That's what I was looking for...

But I notice it states this law pertains to your property and public highway only. Wondering if a dog park, or any park would pertain to this RCW 16.08.020. Also I live in Oregon :(

Tricky question and I understand the point being made. If it was my dog being attacked I would get the other dog off I would not shoot and if somebody shot my dog for a fight I might shoot them. This is a catch 22 for both sides and it is hard being in both positions.

To be honest I think if you shot a dog attacking yours in a park you would be arrested and charged for something and you would not get away with it. Plus you most likely would be sued in court. I know it would be a felony if the value of the dog was over a $1000 because somebody stole my dog. Long story short the police would not do anything because they could not tresspass to get him back as he was locked up in a barn in the backyard. Animal control said they cannot do anything for three days, so I went home grabbed a 1911 and sneaked into his yard and through a field and into the barn where my dog was locked in a kennel and I let me out and we ran to the fence and through the woods to my property..

Hmmmm Criminal tresspass with a firearm (felony) is what you could have been charged with doing that. I hope that you wouldnt shoot someone for shooting your unleashed and uncontrolled dog either, that especially wouldnt go well for you in court.

...I wasn't going to say anything... lol

I prob would of kept the covert mission to myself had I been in that situation but I hear where he is coming from. If the law wouldn't get my dog back I might seek 'other options' myself.

...I wasn't going to say anything... lol

I prob would of kept the covert mission to myself had I been in that situation but I hear where he is coming from. If the law wouldn't get my dog back I might seek 'other options' myself.

Same here but it's far better to keep 'em properly secured in the first place

I wouldn't hesisitate to shoot a dog that was attacking my leashed dog, especially if it was a breed with a history of agressive behavior. Dog owners need to show a little respect and keep their dogs on a leash and under control in public areas, if they can't do that they will have to be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Personally, I'd start with OC spray before escalating to shooting.

this is for sure your best plan, when we walk our dogs, there is citrus spray on my hip, pepper on my wife's, and last resort is shooting. Dogs in a fight will break up pretty quick with a spray of even citrus,

I would think its pretty hard to shoot a dog in a fight without really risking shooting your own. they move much quicker than you or I ever could hope to. A through and through shot is pretty easy if you are not paying attention and with a fixed focus on the dogs you will probably not be aware of the surroundings. All this is true if you are shooting to defend yourself, but I am sure the actual standards are different for a self defense shooting over a dog on dog shooting....

Screw the spray. Shoot the damn dog if it's attacking. Clean up the mess afterward while you gently pet your beloved and grateful dog, which survived as a result of your timely intervention. Pay the fine, do the weekend. Whatever. It's your dog for cryin' out loud.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top