JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I'm going to get a taser for dog walks just in case. And my girl could probably use it when she goes to concerts or whatever too. Not sure about carrying a cattle prod around the dog park lol. Again my dog doesn't fight other dogs...she's completely submissive. Even to cats... The only senario would be an attack.

I've had 2 instances where I had to defend her. Once was a when a neighbor down the street was rehabilitating a rescued dog and my dog went out to greet them by our sidewalk when she was about 1yr old pup and that dog latched onto her face right behind her mouth. It took me and my 6'2 350lb friend whaling on this dog for what felt like 5mins...my dog screaming in pain the whole time. Every neighbor within 2 blocks came running down after hearing her scream bloody murder like that. I tried everything...we even picked it up in the air, twisted it upside down, swinging it by its hind legs...punching it in the ribs, head, everywhere. Finally my friend gave his all in prying the mouth open with his hands and was able to do it, TG. The lady walking the dog acting like the bite was justified was the hardest part for me to handle..oohhh did we get into it. Enter her poindexter husband...what a show. Ended alright though. I think they were afraid I would sue or something in the end but I told them I'm not like that...

Second instance was the mentioned pitbull senario in my op. To make a long story short I was disc golfing a course at a park and my dog follows me around, usually trails me by about 15-30ft. I saw 2 disc golfers and a pitbull passing by. The pit approached my dog and I figured since it wasn't on a leash that it was trained right and then all the sudden it started huffing and puffing with excitement. my dog coward, the pit started snarling at her doing his dominant thing. I asked them to get their dog and they said "thats not our dog". Thats when I knew it was in trouble. I grabbed my dog by collar and was yelling at this pitbull, swinging kicks at it. It kept circling us and running in towards me dog, I would maneuver her away each time, all attention was on her and he paid little attention to me. I made my way to a branch and made my dog stay layed down under me, between my legs while I really laid some good ones into this pit. It still kept on circling and charging in. I picked my dog up and made my way about 1000yds to my vehicle, yelling and hitting hit several times, everyone just watched, no one helped. I was livid for like 4hrs. I wanted to go back and kill it but the ether wore off and I always carried my pistol disc golfing from there on out.

I have a friend with a well trained, very well mannered pit and they used to start playing rough and that pit would really scare my dog, getting too physical and just ramming my pup into the ground with its power. Never tried to bite my dog but I won't let them hang out anymore because I don't trust that dog. My other friend's pit is also well trained and mannered and he acts totaly different. He just follows her around all nervous looking and quiet like trying to hump her at every given chance I am not watching them. We've caught them in every dogsex position I think possible lol...

dogs are not family they are property regardless of how you feel about them

Everyone's got an opinion.

+1. My dog is part of my family no matter what is written in the law

...how could you not treat a dog like this as a kid? ;)

11 Months old in heat...lol pathetic times leme tell ya. She was a bleeder...

1206092206.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No DA in Oregon outside of Multnomah or Lane County is going to prosecute a guy for shooting a pit bull that is attacking the guy's pet. And I wouldn't waste my cat on the effort. A well-placed .45 is less than fitty cent; a good cat is worth more.

But get your story straight before the cops show up. The dog was undoubtedly after YOU. Right? Once the dog takes out your pet, he's coming for you next. So repeat after me: The pit bull was coming after you and your pet, you feared for your life, and that's why you shot it.

My wife has experienced one attack (a larger dog went after our Golden). Based on that:

My plan in case of potential attack is to use a loud voice command "NO!" while I'm readying the bear spray. The spray would be used next if the situation intensified and distance allowed it. Since the dogs are attached to me via a leash/belt arrangement I would have to consider any attack to be an attack aimed at me (how does one know it isn't?). I probably would not use my gun in most cases since I would not want to fire into the melee. A walking stick/baton of some sort sounds like the safest/best idea to me if it progresses to a point where force is required. Every situation is different of course, but that is my overall plan.

I use the command voice too. Helps to have a voice like a foghorn. NO!!! really does work. That always stops them in their tracks and sends many of them running. If it doesn't, and if rocks are handy, they begin to receive a little extra encouragement to depart.. yelping all the way

If that does not work then we have a more serious problem and the pepper foam or stick will be used.. I like foam because it will not blow in your or your dog's face..just where it's applied. And of course I always pack at least a .40 with extra mags

I don't know if I would trust my ability to hit a moving dog with a taser.. gun yes, taser no. I do have a shock baton that puts out 300,000 volts, but if the dog was attached to anyone else (dog or human) the shock will hit them both. It will get you too if you are connected in any way. I have gotten a tiny taste of that thing and it was not pleasant

My rescued Rottie girl is the sweetest dog with people and especially children..very gentle. She has never met anyone she didn't love.. but she's dog/cat aggressive (she's alpha) and in truth I am saving the dumb, loose pooch from getting the short end of the deal since she's built like a thunderbolt and does not take smack from other dogs

My wife was bitten once.. by a loose Border Collie while she was jogging. Came out of nowhere and she had no time to draw or use her .38 J frame which was in her fanny pack

The loudest "NO!!!" on earth wouldn't have scared this pit. I was yelling top of my lungs and hit it several times with a branch that was atleast 2-3lbs. This thing was a tough sob and kept circling and charging in trying to avoid my swings but still get to her. It didn't make eye contact with me once. He was fixated on my dog.

You may be used to trained dogs but when you cross a mean pit with a goal you will experience a ruuude awakening. My dog is so submissive she puts her head to the ground and goes fetal position when a dog freaks out on her so I wouldn't have an issue hitting a dog with my taser/pistol while it was clamped on to her neck.

The loudest "NO!!!" on earth wouldn't have scared this pit. I was yelling top of my lungs and hit it several times with a branch that was atleast 2-3lbs. This thing was a tough sob and kept circling and charging in trying to avoid my swings but still get to her. It didn't make eye contact with me once. He was fixated on my dog.

You may be used to trained dogs but when you cross a mean pit with a goal you will experience a ruuude awakening. My dog is so submissive she puts her head to the ground and goes fetal position when a dog freaks out on her so I wouldn't have an issue hitting a dog with my taser/pistol while it was clamped on to her neck.

We've had protection trained, show and rescued Rotties for 25 years so far.. I have trained all of them because my protection trainer taught me how to do so. I've dealt with just about every type of canine attempt to enter our space while walking. The key is to see them coming afar off and to adjust their opinion of you, ASAP. Distance is your friend. If that does not work, as I said, pepper foam, the stick, or if I must, I will shoot. So far I have not had to use more than the stick, and that was thrown at about 25 feet, hitting the incoming/attacking dog soundly.. a big yelp and a fast retreat was the result

MY street carry stick is my practice stick.. I have a nicer spare if I ever want to present a better image.. I tossed it several times at different ranges before I ever used it for real. I was a little Apache as a child, used or made all sorts of improvised weapons, including old golf clubs

Dogs tend to back off from the unexpected and scary.. having a whirlwind piece of thermoplastic smack you hard seems to work well. Popping open an umbrella in their face can work, too

Stopping a dog from attacking is one thing, but separating them once they're fighting is a whole other story. Pitbulls lose all train of though except to keep their jaws locked, you need water, taser, gun, or smoke. People that fight pitbulls for fun must have a few less brain cells. It's horrifying to see them fight, let alone make them do it.

Personally, I'd start with OC spray before escalating to shooting.

+1

I run with my dog on leash several times a week (70lb chesapeake bay retriever) and have everything from a little ankle biter to a very large mastiff come after us. I started carrying pepper spray after a run in with a mastiff where I was afraid I might have to shoot it (I typically carry my NAA blackwidow) after three very hard kicks to the muzzle did nothing to get it to back off. Fortunately the owner came out just in time. Now pretty much any dog that approaches in an aggressive manner get a spray to the face, I have yet to see one not run off and start rubbing its face in the grass ( I figure the owners get a real treat when the dog gets inside too). Pepper spray is easier, and safer for everyone. Don't have to worry about what is behind the target or having to justify your actions to others.

I do like the cold steel walking stick too!

We rescue Rotties and of course walk them and have to constantly ward off dogs from teacup to Great Dane size. I train in and teach Kali so it was natural for me to gravitate to carrying one of these

Cold_Steel_Irish_Blackthorn_Walking_Stick_91PBS.jpg

It's lightweight but nearly indestructible and packs enough punch (if used properly) to make 'em see stars. I can throw it accurately up to about 40 feet, as well (hint: throw it horizontally like a boomerang)

It's a good way to ward them off without having to go to the next level. So far it's worked

PS: We have warded off pits and Rotties with such tools.. (my petite wife once warded off a loose Rottie with an entrencing shovel.. lol, it was just posturing against our large male show lines Rottie) most of them are not going to actually attack, they are posturing or as stated above, maybe trying to hump your dog.. first rule is Don't Panic

Those Shillelagh walking sticks from Cold Steel are absolutely brutal. I have had one for a couple years now and keep it close for when my ankle acts up. It has dispatched a possum, a raccoon and one of the neighbor's goats (it was standing on the hood of my pickup), all one-shot and with amazing results.

OK if the pit was a rouge dog,then I don't think there is a problem ,or as much of a problem shooting it.
And if you are going places with your baby (my little dog would do the same as yours did) you really need to get a good plan.
When a aggressive dog shows up,it goes straight pass my big on to the little girl.They just target her.So I am always on guard for her.
I don't pack much so I would have to think up something else.

How much does the thing weigh? Like 60-70 pounds? Did it have a collar?
Did you have a leash for your dog?

If hitting it didn't work,and that's common with a lot of pits,then you need to have a weapon ready. A collapsible baton,a kubaton to the ribs and soft belly. If you are playing then a walking type stick won't work for you.

Now as was shown in the video (and as I said) grab the back legs. But don't just drag the dog around. Give it a diskus toss. Just like swinging your kids,only let it go into a tree or fence. Or over the fence.

Use the leash. Try to lasso him and drag him away,tie him up. Better would be if you could get it around the body,just in front of the hind legs.
Then do the same as with grabbing the back legs only tie it up.(after swinging it into a tree)
Put a carribiner on the end of the leash or something of some weight.A quick whip to the head should calm most dogs down.
I have kicked my dog in the head when she went for a ball as I was kicking it for her.She acted like I was pointing her in the right direction.Our punches and kick don't always effect a dog like it does a person.
I might put a knife to a dog a lot easier than I would pulling a gun.

I have no problem with shooting aggressive/dangerous dogs,but I do have a problem with giving up my weapons.

If this happens very much,you really need to devise a plan or maybe leave the dog at home.
I definitely plan my dog time around my little wimp. And I am always on guard for aggressive dogs.

Good luck.I hope we have given you something to work with.

Those Shillelagh walking sticks from Cold Steel are absolutely brutal. I have had one for a couple years now and keep it close for when my ankle acts up. It has dispatched a possum, a raccoon and one of the neighbor's goats (it was standing on the hood of my pickup), all one-shot and with amazing results.

There is a reason why the mace was popular for thousands of years.. it works very well indeed if used properly

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top