JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Meh, I have a .410 Judge pistol in my nightstand. Took my 9mm out an put that in. I use only PDX1 3" loads with copper discs in it. Made expressly for man-stoppage.

Then depending on circumstances, I can either grab my AR faux SBR, or meet my wife in the walk in closet call 911 and take my combat 18" 12ga off the holder. It is loaded with 8 12ga PDX1 segmented slugs, alternating with #000 buck. Next to that I have a bandolier of 12ga #00 buck and standard slugs. Holds maybe 30rds. Full disclosure, I really have the shotty in case I need to go outside or fight neighborhood defense in SHTF. It has a powerful flashlight, a reflex optic sighted at 100yds (with solid slugs), a laser sighted at 25yds, and a side saddle with 5 more loads.

We also have a 5 shot .410 Circuit Judge in the back office with sights that is loaded with PDX1 copper discs.

IDK if a winter pea coat can adversely affect penetration such that people often choose .45 or 10mm for winter use, what happens when birdshot is obstructed?
FWIW I met a guy that was an EMT in Detroit, and he'd been in and out of a lot of crackhouses - neighborhoods so bad the police wouldn't go into. He told me that birdshot maims people, but it does not kill them. He said he used to tell crackheads "what kind of ammo to use next time" so he didn't come out and try to save a mangled person's life. I guess it was pretty nasty.
^^^ This at the very least. Loss of stopping power?

Meh, I have a .410 Judge pistol in my nightstand. Took my 9mm out an put that in. I use only PDX1 3" loads with copper discs in it. Made expressly for man-stoppage.

Then depending on circumstances, I can either grab my AR faux SBR, or meet my wife in the walk in closet call 911 and take my combat 18" 12ga off the holder. It is loaded with 8 12ga PDX1 segmented slugs, alternating with #000 buck. Next to that I have a bandolier of 12ga #00 buck and standard slugs. Holds maybe 30rds. Full disclosure, I really have the shotty in case I need to go outside or fight neighborhood defense in SHTF. It has a powerful flashlight, a reflex optic sighted at 100yds (with solid slugs), a laser sighted at 25yds, and a side saddle with 5 more loads.

We also have a 5 shot .410 Circuit Judge in the back office with sights that is loaded with PDX1 copper discs.

IDK if a winter pea coat can adversely affect penetration such that people often choose .45 or 10mm for winter use, what happens when birdshot is obstructed?
^^^ This at the very least. Loss of stopping power?
Oh yeah I for got about the judge NICE

0000 buck shot is my preference

I suspect you mean Western #1 Buckshot. That was a highly popular 19th century buckshot size in 10 gauge shotguns of the muzzleloading and early cartridge era. This certainly makes sense, onsidering the popularity of the 1851 Colt Navy revolver and the fact that it too used the .380 lead ball.

"0000B" is a modern construct used by many who handload 10 gauge shells with hard cast .380" lead pellets. This size, while not the largest buckshot pellet size, is not currently loaded in any commercial shotshell ammunition.

By the way, 00B and Western #3 Buckshot are the same size. This is why WWI vets from the Western states often called military buckshot cartridges of the era "three buck" loads.

Last Edited:
I've shot a lot of 00 Buck (the most common buckshot size), #4 Buck and almost every size of birdshot.
#4 Buck over water looks like a machine gun, over and over as the pattern bounces (a dangerous endeavor, BTW)
00 Buck in a HD situation would readily pass through walls.
Birdshot acts almost like a slug at close SD ranges, especially the smaller sizes like #8 because the shot column is so dense.
Hard for most folks to wrap their heads around birdshot as a HD load.

Those wounded gangbangers were most likely shot at ranges that were farther than SD ranges.
Birdshot is used in prison riot control because if you need to wing them, you can do that at 30-40'+
And if you need to stop them at around 10', you can do that too.

This all really depends on the gun if you just have a basic short barrel gun with no choke I would do like they said test it with buck shot and some low # 2 #4 you could even get some BB and BBB duck and goose loads if you have a gun with a choke system you could use almost anything .BUT IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE DISTANCE YOU WILL BE SHOOTING .LOL in a house close quarters a 12gage loaded with salt rocks could be deadly

In the for what its worth department, loading a big smoothbore with Rock Salt would strictly be a handloading proposition. Indeed, the only propellant that would generate sufficient pressure to make such a lightweight payload work would be Black Powder. Not to mention the ill-advised idea of depending on such a load for self defense - in any situation!

I don't know what all this discussion is about. Its simple.
But if I had to say, I guess I'd be firing 00 buck into the air. ;)
joe-biden-idiot-e1421682623485.jpg

I prefer 12ga 00 buck or 12ga slugs. Only thing I ever kilt with the 00 buck was a feral rooster messing with my domestic hens. Got it on the wing too. One shot one rooster!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top