JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had so much trouble with .452" cast bullets in 45ACP that I just gave up. My old Colt would eat them, but they were a reai PIA in every other 45 I have/had. Besides, I HATE scrapping lead.
I just switched to plated or jacketed bullets. The increase in cost was offset by the lack of frustration and the shortening of cleaning time.
Oh that's frustrating. I don't have a 45 but I'm still struggling with that darn 9 mm to find a load that will work in both my pistol and my PC carbine. The PC carbine seems to be very forgiving but the Walther not so much. God I hate scraping lead.

I've switched calibers before and forgot to switch out the shell holder and ended up with a stuck case.
That is why I have two die sets set up for every caliber I load for.
I get a stuck case I'm still in the game and take care of the stuck case later or the next day.
I like to have double on all of my reloading stuff.

First time I stuck a case I had 10 minutes to get to Fisherman's before they closed. Made it in 9!
It would have been easier to have a back up die, or that inexpensive stuck case remover already on hand!

Just my experience, Lee dies are the most reliable for getting stuck cases out post haste and back to loading.
My only Lee dies are carbide pistol, and I have no experience with this. What I do know is that my Redding full length 30-06AI die has seen the the highest use of the stuck case remover tool!

My only Lee dies are carbide pistol, and I have no experience with this. What I do know is that my Redding full length 30-06AI die has seen the the highest use of the stuck case remover tool!
The things that make the AI rounds out perform their parents are the same things that make a case more likely to become stuck.

That being little body taper and steep shoulder angle.

Lube well my friend.

.... It's interesting how that advise works to our benefit in many aspects of life ... but I digress!

The things that make the AI rounds out perform their parents are the same things that make a case more likely to become stuck.

That being little body taper and steep shoulder angle.
And it's the reason I'm probably going back to neck sizing.

The only stuck cases I've ever had were using the RCBS lube pad and Hornady resizing die. That is why I switched to the lanolin/heat concoction, since that day I have not had many stuck cases and they get pounded out with the decapping pin. Knock on wood.

The only stuck cases I've ever had were using the RCBS lube pad and Hornady resizing die. That is why I switched to the lanolin/heat concoction, since that day I have not had many stuck cases and they get pounded out with the decapping pin. Knock on wood.
Dang-it Jim! I was just going to say I thought my FL Hornady Dies in .30-06, .30-30, 6.5X55 Swede and .30 Carbine were the bomb. And I am using the RCBS lube pad. Never even had the feeling that a case was going to stick. I almost WANT to get a stuck case so I can feel how it comes to that? i've even push it at times doing a second case sans lube because the first one was SO smooth. Though there is the fact that YOU most likely have sized 100:1, or more, cases than I have in your years loading.

Dang-it Jim! I was just going to say I thought my FL Hornady Dies in .30-06, .30-30, 6.5X55 Swede and .30 Carbine were the bomb. And I am using the RCBS lube pad. Never even had the feeling that a case was going to stick. I almost WANT to get a stuck case so I can feel how it comes to that? i've even push it at times doing a second case sans lube because the first one was SO smooth. Though there is the fact that YOU most likely have sized 100:1, or more, cases than I have in your years loading.
I can tell you exactly how it feels haha. It's like having the stomach flu when you pull back up on the handle and everything just stays there haha. The one I had I was lucky to get out with a hammer and a punch and a vice very carefully. I started using Imperial sizing wax and Hornady unique after that and I've never had an issue since. Not even close.

I can tell you exactly how it feels haha. It's like having the stomach flu when you pull back up on the handle and everything just stays there haha. The one I had I was lucky to get out with a hammer and a punch and a vice very carefully. I started using Imperial sizing wax and Hornady unique after that and I've never had an issue since. Not even close.
:s0112:/:(

:s0092:

The Hornady dies I bought here used when I first started reloading not that many years ago (2012).
I did not have any hands on training or a local mentor/guru to guide me, all my knowledge came from gun forums and U-tubby. I may have used too much sticky stuff on the cases. :eek:

Yeah when that handle doesn't come back up is the worst situation you can get with a stuck case. Kinda get that acid reflux/hysteria feeling once it hits me.:eek:
I've had some that popped out of the shell holder, bent the rim of the case but were easily pounded out with a long thin punch I made.

The Hornady dies I bought here used when I first started reloading not that many years ago (2012).
I did not have any hands on training or a local mentor/guru to guide me, all my knowledge came from gun forums and U-tubby. I may have used too much sticky stuff on the cases. :eek:
Sounds like I started just a bit before you. I bought my RCBS kit in Nov 2011. I just played on the press and read the book. And there were people I talked to that I was buying components and pieces of the process from. With the RCBS lube/pad I note that it doesn't take very much. I lube necks with Imperial dry lube.

Yeah when that handle doesn't come back up is the worst situation you can get with a stuck case. Kinda get that acid reflux/hysteria feeling once it hits me.:eek:
I've had some that popped out of the shell holder, bent the rim of the case but were easily pounded out with a long thin punch I made.
I imagine the real fun (NOT) comes when the ram comes down with the rim fully intact? And no case with it!
You ever ad a bit of warmth to the die? Hair dryer maybe?

Lots O lube...I would much rather spend my time wiping off extra lube, than removing a stuck case. :rolleyes:

.458 SoCom cases @ .85 a piece. Rips the rim right off of them and makes you want to cry. :(

I'm talking stuck case. Warm the die some. (?)
Or cool it? Spray some Brake Cleen?
I think you would have to warm it more than with a hair dryer. And who knows how warm is too warm? It might be better to stick it in the freezer for a couple days and go the other way since brass and steel expand at different rates. At least that's how I remember it.

I think you would have to warm it more than with a hair dryer. And who knows how warm is too warm? It might be better to stick it in the freezer for a couple days and go the other way since brass and steel expand at different rates. At least that's how I remember it.
Good point

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top