JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe it would appear slightly less "advertisey" if the title said more generically, "HB2005 Serialization Services"... and others could be added as we become aware of them.

Maybe make a general resource pin(?)

I heard back from them on my questions:

- $50 per part. Shipped or walk in is the same price.
- Laser engraved.
A) Work holding fixture for billet lowers, but some may not fit well and require some MacGyvering. (Noted: AR9's are a hassle)
B) No fixture for frames and requires some playing around to get it oriented properly

- No ID is required. Just first and last name for their A&D record.
- Recorded as a gunsmithing transaction.
- Address is optional if you want it recorded in the event of theft and subsequent recovery.
- Items are recorded as "PMF", then SN, then type (frame or rcvr), then caliber (may be "Multi" or a specific cal.)

A 12% Coupon is available on their website. Saving $6 per item.

Edit: He didn't specify you had to use your real name. :D

Last Edited:
I heard back from them on my questions:

- $50 per part. Shipped or walk in is the same price.
- Laser engraved.
A) Work holding fixture for billet lowers, but some may not fit well and require some MacGyvering. (Noted: AR9's are a hassle)
B) No fixture for frames and requires some playing around to get it oriented properly

- No ID is required. Just first and last name for their A&D record.
- Recorded as a gunsmithing transaction.
- Address is optional if you want it recorded in the event of theft and subsequent recovery.
- Items are recorded as "PMF", then SN, then type (frame or rcvr), then caliber (may be "Multi" or a specific cal.)

A 12% Coupon is available on their website. Saving $6 per item.

Edit: He didn't specify you had to use your real name. :D
Honestly that doesn't sound like they are prepared to do this service "cleanly". MacGyvering something to make it work doesn't inspire confidence. When I had my lowers engraved for the NFA, BYE Engraving had a jig all set up for it. Made the work neat and even. I don't want ANY serial on an 80% but if I'm forced to I want it to look professional and as OEM as possible.

Honestly that doesn't sound like they are prepared to do this service "cleanly". MacGyvering something to make it work doesn't inspire confidence. When I had my lowers engraved for the NFA, BYE Engraving had a jig all set up for it. Made the work neat and even. I don't want ANY serial on an 80% but if I'm forced to I want it to look professional and as OEM as possible.
Yeah. Probably when it get's closer to Sept maybe they'll have some jigs worked up and/or have some sample photos of their work. I'm sure there will be other folks offering services, too.

He did comment that most of their info came from the alphabet office in PDX as OSP had no clue regarding the process beyond, "it's FFL's responsibility."

He also mentioned that the $50 bucks was because they had no idea how easy or difficult a job might be. As opposed to a separate rate, for say, receivers and another for frames.
I have to admit too that the flat rate (mail in or walk in) didn't exactly impress me. I mean... walk in's saves them the return packaging and shipping costs, right(?)

Ah well. It's their prerogative to conduct business how they see fit. 👍

Yeah. Probably when it get's closer to Sept maybe they'll have some jigs worked up and/or have some sample photos of their work. I'm sure there will be other folks offering services, too.

He did comment that most of their info came from the alphabet office in PDX as OSP had no clue regarding the process beyond, "it's FFL's responsibility."

He also mentioned that the $50 bucks was because they had no idea how easy or difficult a job might be. As opposed to a separate rate, for say, receivers and another for frames.
I have to admit too that the flat rate (mail in or walk in) didn't exactly impress me. I mean... walk in's saves them the return packaging and shipping costs, right(?)

Ah well. It's their prerogative to conduct business how they see fit. 👍
At least someone is finally stepping up to do this too! So far all I kept reading is wild idea's ranging from "it will be nothing" to "it will be astronomical in price". Along with wild speculation of how it would be handled. So as it gets close if a lot of people have a Casper lower they want to make OR legal hopefully we will start to see some pics of how they are turning out and maybe others will jump in to do so.

It's unenforceable anyway. Honestly, who's going to be checking guns for serial numbers? OSP? No way. I mean under what circumstances would a person be in to have it be an issue? I suppose EDC if there's a shooting and maybe trying to sell one but otherwise who is going door to door checking serial numbers? At my gun range I can tell you we will not be doing any such thing. Seems like a nothingburger to me.

Self defense is pretty much the whole reason to carry a gun.
Anyone who keeps one of the Casper's after the time runs out will be in the same position of those who make NFA stuff that's not papered. No doubt there is a ton of it floating around but, I have never quite understood the point. If it was ever used for defense the problems would not seem to me to be worth it. Now the Casper guns if they are only range toys? Many could probably go their life and no one would care. They would of course have to make damn sure they never used them in a defense shoot.

Anyone who keeps one of the Casper's after the time runs out will be in the same position of those who make NFA stuff that's not papered. No doubt there is a ton of it floating around but, I have never quite understood the point. If it was ever used for defense the problems would not seem to me to be worth it. Now the Casper guns if they are only range toys? Many could probably go their life and no one would care. They would of course have to make damn sure they never used them in a defense shoot.
Wait, is this an illegitimate ad for Casper mattresses or Casper the Friendly Ghost merchandise!?

Ironically, Ghost guns wouldnt ever been invented if there wasn't a huge prohibition based movement. The whole point of ghost guns is so someone could still own a gun after their registered guns got confiscated.
It would be very problematic if used in even the most clear case of self defense, but most agree their families lives would be worth that.

Yes of course but that really isn't the topic. I meant that if someone chooses to carry an 80%.
Yes, Im guessing there are some that want to actually use what they built in those cases getting serialized would mean if it was ever used they wouldnt be charged with using an unlawful gun. Bonus if it was serialized and still unregistered.

I mean under what circumstances would a person be in to have it be an issue?
Don't know, but just wondering if this could be a problem:

Owner dies. Heirs attempt to liquidate firearms collection. Being naive, ignorant of the law, and/or unaware of such technicalities, take said firearm to LGS to sell. Get nailed for violation.

Possible?

Owner dies. Heirs attempt to liquidate firearms collection. Being naive, ignorant of the law, and/or unaware of such technicalities, take said firearm to LGS to sell. Get nailed for violation.

Possible?
That I can EASILY see happening. Someone will die. Their family will then find the guns and may have no idea they are not legal

I guess my question is... If said company serialized it, and they just give it to you with number/letter arrangement engraved on it. Who will be the wiser of them or anyone with a laser engraver or nicely done Dremel or ghostwriter software doing the job?...
I mean, so they put your name in a book at their place and no BGC (bonus btw) and there is still no record if the AFT does a trace on it.
The AFT wont know to call them to trace it, they won't be able to call the manufacturer to trace the POS for the firearm.. thereby getting the last known buyer..
What's the point of this then?
I mean serializing for the state. What did this accomplish really?
For the owner of said firearm I get, if they want to carry it and all.
But why can't someone just get Carl the calligraphy dremel wizard at the flea market to do it and call it good?

Possible?
It's possible given that some FFLs are narks.

I guess my question is... If said company serialized it, and they just give it to you with number/letter arrangement engraved on it. Who will be the wiser of them or anyone with a laser engraver or nicely done Dremel or ghostwriter software doing the job?...
I mean, so they put your name in a book at their place and no BGC (bonus btw) and there is still no record if the AFT does a trace on it.
The AFT wont know to call them to trace it, they won't be able to call the manufacturer to trace the POS for the firearm.. thereby getting the last known buyer..
What's the point of this then?
I mean serializing for the state. What did this accomplish really?
For the owner of said firearm I get, if they want to carry it and all.
But why can't someone just get Carl the calligraphy dremel wizard at the flea market to do it and call it good?
You can do that. As long as it looks decent it will probably suffice.

They can trace it because the serial number is suppose to include parts of the FFL's license number. That will lead the agency doing the trace to the FFL.

Just having a serial number will probably eliminate 99% of the scenarios where the firearm would be scrutinized.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top