JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maybe I shouldn't enjoy sharing this story so much - but I do.
A 19-year-old man died over the weekend from an accidental, self-inflicted gunshot wound after stealing some guns from a home in Independence, Polk County Sheriff's deputies said.
When investigators arrived, they found Genaro Hernandez Mendoza dead inside the [stolen] vehicle.

Hernandez Mendoza broke into a house on Independence Highway and stole several items, deputies said.
The evidence showed that while Hernandez Mendoza was driving away from the scene the rifle he had just stolen went off accidentally, killing him, deputies said.
Deputies: Teen stole guns, then killed himself by accident - KPTV - FOX 12

Simple - ain't it?

Wow. I believe this is the first documented case of a gun actually killing a person.

That gun was so smart it discharged itself to protect the public.

Finally a real-world case of "people don't kill people, guns do" and the "victim" was someone who deserved it. ☺

Now comes the lawsuit from the thief's family, claiming negligence on the gun owner's part for keeping the firearm loaded, when he should have known that it could be stolen by someone who was inexperienced enough to endanger himself.

The shotgun did it.

Burglar shot while fleeing from home in stolen vehicle - Koinlocal6.com
INDEPENDENCE, Ore. (KOIN) -- Polk County Sheriff's Deputies found a man dead Sunday morning on Halls Ferry Road outside of independence, Oregon after they say he burglarized at least two homes Saturday evening.

In a press release sent to KOIN 6 News, detectives say that 19 year-old Genaro Hernandez Mendoza of West Salem was going to visit family who lived on the farm when he entered and burglarized a home on Independence Highway.

Deputies say Mendoza took several items and fled from the home on foot. He returned to the farm and placed the stolen items behind a barn. They say he then stole a pickup truck belonging to the farm and returned to the home he burglarized stealing more items and a shotgun and AR-15 rifle.

Det. Williams with the Polk County Sheriff's Department tells KOIN 6 News that they believe a piece of the shotgun was caught in the trigger area of the AR-15. While crossing the field the truck hit a bump causing the weapon to fire once striking and killing Mendoza.

Farm workers found the truck and Mendoza Sunday morning with the engine still running and the truck in drive.

Polk County Sheriff Bob Wolfe added that they would be reviewing the evidence to determine if anyone assisted Mendoza with the Burglary.

Gee maybe Biden was right, at least partially.
Get a shotgun AND an AR. That way, if someone steals them, the shotgun will use the AR to shoot the perp!

I'm sure the next step is to require all of us to have a car seat for each gun we own so this type of Darwinian "tragedy" never occurs again. We have to think about the children you know and if this could save just one life....

Am I the only one who sees this as a victimless crime (aside from the poor homeowner probably never seeing their guns again)? But then again, I often find myself laughing out loud when I read the stories in the "Armed Citizen" section of my NRA magazine so I'm probably not a good judge on this subject.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top