JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For short barrels with rifle cartridges, I prefer cartridges made for that purpose - e.g., 7.62x39 or .300 BO

For a shorter OAL, I prefer bullpups. there are a number outfits out there starting to come out with bullpup setups for an AR action that is bufferless.
Yea there are a lot of interesting bufferless pistols out there. I know brn-180 comes in 300BO and CMMG Dissent comes in 300BO, 556, 5.7, 9m, diamondback dbx 5.7 is another one. Probably a lot more out there I don't know about, foxtrot mike and some sig designs come to mind. It would be cool to see more bullpups along the lines of ps90 (with the short barrel) in different calibers.

fdsfjsdfjiof.JPG
kfmsldfjdso.JPG

Thanks for posting the topic - it's a good conversation to have. Agreed, there is a lot of "tacticool" marketing out there by major manufacturers, and there are lots of drawbacks to consider if storing one in a vehicle, particularly in urban environments where police response times to shootings is generally fast.

However, I think in rural environments a truck gun or backpack gun might make more sense. Law enforcement may take 20+ min to respond to a shooting simply due to distance. You still have potential to be misidentified as the shooter, and probably more likely to run into another civilian carrying a concealed pistol, but the greater law enforcement response time might tilt the scales more in favor of having a long gun in a vehicle.

Also, rural environments have 4-legged predators to consider as well as the 2-legged variety - cougars, bobcats, bears, wolves, etc. That alone would be a better reason to have one, because in a rural environment you're far more likely to get attacked by a wild animal than to find yourself in an active shooter situation.
Good points. Re time, I was thinking the same thing. FE some of the recent school shootings had police "on-the-scene time" of around 3 minutes. So basically if you were sitting in the school parking lot you would have a total of 3 minutes to get the gun and find the shooter before cops arrive. But who is going to be sitting in a school parking lot other than school security (assuming they exist I mean)? So the chances of a person being in that position would probably be many many millions to one I would think.

I look at it more in terms of things one would actually run into to defend yourself. It happens daily here in PDX. Again IMO having a very capable gun you can access in seconds in the car is huge benefit IMO. And if you can take it with you easily then that's even better. Lots of stuff happens while you are in the vehicle or going to or from the vehicle. You really don't know here who is normal vs psycho vs on drugs. Lots of downright crazy and violent behavior (I witnessed one attempted stabbing, one homeless guy beating on a naked petite woman, and 3 knife-armed carjackings personally as well as heard -not seen- several shootings). Not that a person should go around being paranoid, but it's comforting to be prepared if god forbid you should have to take action.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top