JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, you are saying you wouldn't have kicked the guy moveing around when you suspect him of armed robbery?? What would you have done in the dark not knowing if he is going for a weapon?

Not knowing who you are dealing with in a crime situation that includes ARMED ROBBERY and the suspect starts moveing around (for what, a gun or a knife) it is up to the officer to maintain control for everyones safety. Lesson here is don't move around when you have been arrested.

Look, if the guy would have been arrested for jaywalking or tagging with paint then sure they treated him a little rough. However he was arrested under suspicion of armed robbery and he shouldn't be moveing around.

jj

So, you are saying you wouldn't have kicked the guy moveing around when you suspect him of armed robbery?? What would you have done in the dark not knowing if he is going for a weapon?

Good Lord, going for a weapon? Any rookie cop would have sense enough to disarm a suspect just as soon as they were cuffed, especially with as much back up as was available. I agree he shouldn't have moved but that is no reason to be kicked. IMHO, as the law states, you are innocent until proven guilty and a cop has no right to be judge, jury and executioner.

Stop them, question them and if afterwards there is still a suspicion of intent, arrest them and allow the judicial system sort it out.

So they suspected him of armed robbery and treated him like he may be violent??

jj

The point is they were wrong and the only reason they even had to suspect him was the color of his skin. He did not match any other physical description and he was never seen within the immediate area of the crime. In fact he was on foot over a 1/4 mile from the scene when they stopped him.

Good Lord, going for a weapon? Any rookie cop would have sense enough to disarm a suspect just as soon as they were cuffed, especially with as much back up as was available. I agree he shouldn't have moved but that is no reason to be kicked. IMHO, as the law states, you are innocent until proven guilty and a cop has no right to be judge, jury and executioner.

Stop them, question them and if afterwards there is still a suspicion of intent, arrest them and allow the judicial system sort it out.

Courts prove guilt or innocents but cops must arrest suspected offenders. While taking someone into coustody you are at the most dangerouse time. People hide weapons on themselves to use for escape. A knife or mini revolver can be easily hidden and it only takes about an inch long knife to cut a throat.

To my point of view the cop was justified in action when the fellow started moveing. Wouldn't have mattered if the cop taserd him or tapped him with a club the fellow deserved attention for not obeying commands in an armed robbery investigation.

They were stopped and question. While sorting out the answers wiggle boy chose to move and got a boot. Hope it made him a bit smarter.:s0112::s0112:

jj

The point is they were wrong and the only reason they even had to suspect him was the color of his skin. He did not match any other physical description and he was never seen within the immediate area of the crime. In fact he was on foot over a 1/4 mile from the scene when they stopped him.

:s0112::s0112::s0112: So ya think they should have been looking for a black guy or a white guy then?? Glad you are not a cop, call would come in with a discription and you would call it profiling and arrest a women to make it all right again.:s0112::s0112:

Guys were 400 yards from the crime when they were arrested, so how far before the police should just quit looking:s0114::s0114:

jj

Yes, the innocent hispanic dude might have had a gun under his eyelid! They should have beat him a little more! How will all the other hispanics learn how to behave if there aren't some to make examples of!?

:rolleyes:

:s0112::s0112::s0112: So ya think they should have been looking for a black guy or a white guy then?? Glad you are not a cop, call would come in with a discription and you would call it profiling and arrest a women to make it all right again.:s0112::s0112:

Guys were 400 yards from the crime when they were arrested, so how far before the police should just quit looking:s0114::s0114:

jj

I was a cop, and I know I would need a great deal more evidence than what these guys went on to put someone on their face on a public street. Then I know I would not have acted the way these officers acted once the contact had been made. These men were a quarter mile from the scene in a city setting. That is not reason to stop them. Not even close.

PS: You might want to pull your skirt down a bit. I do believe your slip is showing. Oops, did I say slip? I meant racism.

Looking at this from a pure tactical and reasonable standpoint, yet really not knowing all the facts, other than what the news has reported...and we all know that they don't get the whole story either right off.

If the suspects were described to the popo as being Hispanic etc., so be it. Being a 1/4 mile away is not unreasonable. Stopping/detaining, searching and cuffing is also reasonable within the scope of the investigation, but only for a reasonable amount of time...in which the courts have held to be approx. 15 min +/-

But we find our first flaw, why wasn't the one subject cuffed? If he had been cuffed like the others, he would not have posed any threat.
Someone on here mentioned about having him being on the ground with several cops around...what kind of threat can he be? We can not forget this thread http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26982

So we change things a bit to add that the sole suspect is now cuffed. You have the victim(s) come by to ID the suspects, if they are not the right ones, the detainees are promptly let go. It doesn't get easier than that.

I too am perplexed by the actions of the Officers, they failed the most basic tools of Police work.

I can't get past the language the officer used. That convinces me that he was in a rage and out of control.

He wasn't "just doing his job."

How about the gal who stomps on the suspects' neck? She's standing back about ten feet with her arms crossed. She walks through other officers and stomps down on the guy's neck with her arms still crossed. If she felt danger would she keep her arms crossed, or would she be in a more defensive posture?

I can't see that the suspect is moving at that time, either.

All I see is a hateful and out of control gang.

onecopy.jpg

oneacopy.jpg

Like I said before. The officer who used the racial language needs to be suspended (without pay) and sent to training. If its determined that he cannot get over his use of racial communication, he should be terminated. The first officer who stepped on the guy's arm might be reprimanded, but should be fine. The suspect was proned out, which means he probably had not been searched yet, and was moving when he was told to stay still. His hand went to a place where he could have had a necklace knife or something else. Questionable, and maybe censurable, but not a terminating offense. I don't get the female officer who came up out of nowhere and stomped the suspect. Unless we're missing something (which is possible, not even video shows everything), she probable deserves to be terminated. Unlike the first stomp (by the male officer, who stomped the kids hand as it went towards his face/neck), there didn't seem to be any movement to warrant that. I repeat, firing the whole group is not an appropriate response, but a thorough investigation and some training is more than likely warranted.

Penguin, what did JJ say that was racist? He simply pointed out that it was reported that the suspects were of hispanic decent. Certainly racial profiling for no reason is a bad thing, but all he pointed out is that when the call comes in on a hispanic suspect, the officers in the area aren't going to look for another ethnicity. I generally respect your opinions here, as you generally seem well grounded, but calling JJ a racist based on his comment was wrong.

Hey Bear, forget the name calling PP does in calling people racist. When you run out of reason you resort to those tactics. The liberal mindset :s0112::s0112::s0112:

jj

Regardless of the training they may send someone to, that may not change the actions they may continue to commit.
These actions are embarrassing and the reason people from all racial backgrounds & demographic lose respect for authority-especially when nothing (or basic reprimand) is done about it.
I grew up in a town full of angry white cops. They were abusive to everyone-including a white middle class kid (me) many times for doing not much more than the average kid does growing up, including physical abuse.
These type are dangerous not only to their organization (imagine working w/ these bozos) but to the overall well being of the city they are TRUSTED to protect.

These type are dangerous not only to their organization (imagine working w/ these bozos) but to the overall well being of the city they are TRUSTED to protect.

Agreed.

I don't think he should be fired if this is the first incident. He should be sent to sensitivity training and re-evaluated. If its determined that he cannot be colorblind in the application of his duties, then he needs to be terminated. Also, if this is not the first racial issue with him, then he needs to be gone regardless.

It looked to me like she stepped/stomped on his leg not the neck. Either way you point is spot on. The 'expert' officer lost his temper and his thoughtless language proves it. Not very professional in my opinion.

OK, I looked again and I think you're right. Same offense, though imho.

How about later in the tape when the guy is obviously shaken and unsteady on his feet and they don't get him medical attention? They all just turn him loose. Look at the tape. The guy looks drunk when they walk him back to the police car. He could have had a concussion or something else serious.

Look at this pic again. Which cop appears to be in a defensive mode? Which one is even paying any attention, except the one with her arms crossed stomping the guy?

These are cops who are afraid of the suspect yet acting so laid back? I don't think so. I think they are bubblegum holes.

oneacopy.jpg

"with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

What about the discussion here falls into that description? Just because you disagree with someone's opinion, doesn't mean that they are just posting to be disruptive. Everyone has a right to their opinion, right, wrong, or indifferent...

Got to love the "SPIN" they put on it. The Police were in the wrong, however they make it known they were HISPANIC, as if that matters to the story other than to incite anger in the Mexican population.

Given the current light of the whole Illegal Aliens, Vs. Arizona, Deport, ect ect, this story was just to stir up trouble.

Race had NOTHING to do with this story.

Got to love the "SPIN" they put on it. The Police were in the wrong, however they make it known they were HISPANIC, as if that matters to the story other than to incite anger in the Mexican population.

Given the current light of the whole Illegal Aliens, Vs. Arizona, Deport, ect ect, this story was just to stir up trouble.

Race had NOTHING to do with this story.

What about what Mr. Expert Cop said regarding the ethnicity of the suspects urine???

"Something needs to happen with the police."

I think it's already happening. Think of it like a boxing match where each fighter essentially takes his turn hitting his opponent. Western Washington has seen five cops killed recently. Police agencies have now intensified their reactions to various crimes. Next we can expect gangs to commit crimes to draw in groups of police who are then ambushed. After that the police will respond in even larger groups with greater firepower. Gangs will then go back to sniping individual officers who will then begin patrolling in groups. Eventually the ubiquitous Ford patrol vehicle will be replaced with some sort of small armored personnel carrier which will succumb to IEDs, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum.

:s0114: Mushroom cloud?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads