JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
According to the bill, as long as your training meets the requirements on SB348, it is acceptable.
Military training qualifications for SB 348 permit would need to have occurred within 10 years from permit application submission date.

E) Proof of qualification with a pistol, rifle or other small arms
while serving in the Armed Forces of the United States as defined in
ORS 352.313, as documented on a federal DD Form 214 (Certificate of
Release or Discharge from Active Duty), if the qualification occurred
within the 10 years prior to the date of application for issuance of the
permit;

Military training qualifications for SB 348 permit would need to have occurred within 10 years from permit application submission date.

E) Proof of qualification with a pistol, rifle or other small arms
while serving in the Armed Forces of the United States as defined in
ORS 352.313, as documented on a federal DD Form 214 (Certificate of
Release or Discharge from Active Duty), if the qualification occurred
within the 10 years prior to the date of application for issuance of the
permit;
So the suicide training requirement has been removed?

Suicide training?
One of the requirements of M114 was that people receive training on the dangers of suicide, or something of that sort. You CHL trainining course will qualify as long as it meets the requirements of the permit course, including the suicide portion. The Oregon State Sheriffs Association course meets those requirements with a couple of paragraphs. The course is free but a certificate of completion will cost you $65.

No one should be forced to get a permit to exercise a right.

With that being said if we are "forced" to do so then that should include EVERYONE. Active duty/retired military, LE, politician etc. No one gets a free pass. Your job doesn't mean $hit. Your training means $hit. We are all on the same level and should be treated as such. F-ck your favoritism.

This is coming from someone who has a ton of training that has been documented. Training that I can guarantee you is more advanced and in depth than some "permit training class."

An odd question, does anyone know why the inclusion of "Muzzleloader" into the temporary bypassing of 114 (until July 2026)? Are there muzzleloaders that are currently covered by Oregon law as firearms requiring background checks, or is this a weird way of trying to move blackpower/muzzleloaders into a regulated category?

Letter from OFF:

Today's "informational" hearing on SB 348 provided very limited "information" but here are the highlights :
Yes, if you have purchased a standard capacity magazine since Dec 8th of 2022, you will be subject to prosecution.
The drafter of the bill has no idea how you would prove you legally owned one before that date.
The provision in the bill to completely end firearms acquisitions by young adults was, in the words of Floyd Prozanski,… "a mistake."
And… the supporters of Mz 114 think this bill is not extreme enough!

No, that is not a misprint.
One unintentionally hilarious moment came when the head Marxist behind this measure, "The Reverend Doctor" Mark Knudson, commented that the son of one of his supporters would be alive today if the ban on magazines over ten rounds had been in place. Because you see, that young man was shot 12 times. You think we make this stuff up, but it's all recorded.
The bill moves to a work session on March 30th where they will no doubt find ways to make it worse.
At this time there is no indication that the Republican legislators are prepared to do anything except ask you for more money.
But while all that is going on, there is another issue that needs to be addressed.
Tomorrow at 8am, the House Judiciary Committee is hearing HB 3513.
This is another one of Brian Boquist's bills. The bill creates a convoluted method for people in mental health crisis to be able to temporarily store their guns with others or gun dealers. It "Directs Oregon Health Authority to establish grant program to fund storage of firearms pursuant to firearm hold agreement. Appropriates moneys to authority to fund grants."
We have no argument with people storing their guns off site if they feel the need. However, this is another tax payer funded boondoggle that could be far more easily solved by simply revoking the idiotic law that makes doing that illegal. The state creates a problem and then wants you to spend millions to "fix" it. But that's not the worst of it.
This bill will also require that any training course for a concealed handgun license must include the "use of firearm hold agreements for firearm suicide prevention." That means not only the regular CHL classes taught by NRA instructors, but also any of the hunter safety classes or law enforcement classes that qualify. That means that any class taught in any other state that used to qualify no longer will.
We were told there would be an amendment to address this problem. So far there is not one. One Republican House Rep has already removed her name from the bill because of this issue.
Please consider testifying tomorrow on this bill or uploading testimony pointing out this problem. The bill will still be a massive misuse of taxpayer funds when there is a solution that would cost nothing. But at least it won't be one more pointless hurdle for people seeking the means to protect themselves.
You can submit testimony here: https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2023R1/Testimony/HJUD/HB/3513/0000-00-00-00-00?area=Measures
A complete overview of the bill can be found here: https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2023R1/Measures/Overview/HB3513

Were you able to testify?

As an FYI for others, you can still submit written testimony until 5pm Wednesday.
Yes...I got my 2 minutes. Testimony period lasted 2 hours for public comment. Both in-person and virtual attendees offered testimony, with the overwhelming majority opposed to this measure. Most of the speakers were well-prepared.
As expected, the committee was called out by many speakers about the last-minute publication of the actual text of the bill and call for public comment...
To nobody's surprise, LEVO and the League of Women's Voters spoke in support of the bill...and complained that the hunting rifle restriction on 18-20 year olds had been removed from the M114 text.
The ACLU was neutral about the bill but pointed out flaws (ya' think?) about the way it was written.
Many speakers pointed out the bill is an end-around for bypassing the Harney County litigation.
One of the most compelling speakers was the mother (opposed to SB348) that talked about being at a fair with her daughter when a shooting occurred -and her impassioned plea to be able to defend her child with a firearm if necessary and the restrictions this legislation would impose.
Another common theme was making criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens by the retroactive mag ban, and emphasis on this bill delaying (and greatly increasing the cost) the time to acquire a firearm for self defense.

Last Edited:
Yes...I got my 2 minutes. Testimony period lasted 2 hours for public comment. Both in-person and virtual attendees offered testimony, with the overwhelming majority opposed to this measure. Most of the speakers were well-prepared.
I decided to stay away from analysis of the bill and concentrate on the illegal workaround of the judicial process, avoiding legislative budgeting responsibilities, disenfranchisement, and lack of equity. Crossed out some of my prepared testimony since it was specifically pointed at traffic court Floyd. As much as I want to unload on that Marxist piece of chit, decided a recorded public hearing probably wasn't the best time.

I hear you...
I was amending my remarks as I listened to the other speakers as well...I think they called on me a little after 6PM.
One thing I did emphasize is the lack of being able to use a standard-capacity magazine for defense outside the home under this bill.

I liked the guy that placed the pen on top of the stand to show how Stalin never touched a gun, but was responsible for the murder of millions. I doubt that Manning or Prozonski got the point.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top