JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For all the talk about open carry, I have still never seen anyone open carrying, until today. We just got back from the Clackamas County Fair where we spent most of the day. We hadn't been there for more than an hour when I spotted a guy open carrying an XDM in a Blackhawk (or Blackhawk style) OWB holster. I was watching to see if anyone else spotted it, pointed at it, freaked out, or said anything, to him or security. And, nothing. Not a word, not even a glance that I could spot.

Just thought it was interesting that it's taken this long to see someone open carry, and at an event like this to boot. I was carrying to, but just my usual conceal carry.

I've thought about trying open carry myself sometime, I've got 2 OWB holsters on hand if I decide to give it a go. Considering that everyone was either completely oblivious (very likely since most folks have about zero situational awareness) or they simply didn't care, it makes me think that any concern I have about trying it is really just in my head.

Last Edited:
I used to be parinoid when I carried open years ago but never had a confrontation or anyone running or screaming... People are so complacent and too buried in their hand held idiot devices.
I carry concealed 90% of the time but in summer I can't conceal a full size XDM40.....o_Oo_Oo_O

Heck I saw a dude at the Red Lobster in Lacey holding his kid while open carrying..... no biggie to me but I bet all the Liberals were thinking he was gonna shoot up the place....:eek::eek::eek:

Last Edited:
Well around here it's kinda regular but I was at the big grocery store and the cutest young lady gets in line behind me....with a 5.5 XD on here side
Of course most folks out here probably like that someone is carrying besides just them,lol

First time I saw an open carry was at my local Albertson's a few years ago. It was the guy that was running the fireworks tent in the parking lot and he'd just come out of the store with some snacks or something. A couple of family members would sleep with their fireworks for those few nights.

.in summer I can't conceal a full size XDM40...
Oh pshaw.

th?&id=JN.PNlm2srHFl2mrvt7zCoHlA&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

I've never had an issue open carrying. I see OC'ers several times a week. It's very normal in south king county and pierce county.

I have lived in Oregon for 13 years now and have yet to see anyone open carry. I have spotted a few concealed carry guys printing though. This tells me that very few open carry. I prefer to blend in and not stand out so I will continue to carry concealed. YMMV.

I've only been in Oregon for about 15 months now and have seen it at least a dozen times in various parts of the state. The places where I spotted it, nobody freaked out or made a big deal out of it.

But I will say the most interesting one was the young kid (22-25 years old) that was utilizing "Mexican carry".

I live in Oregon City, kind of a mix of liberal and conservative, pro-gun and anti-gun - the closer you get to the north end of Oregon City, the closer you are to Multnomah County, and the more anti-gun you get - that's how we have the anti-gun Brent Barton representing part of Clackamas County, which tends toward pro-gun in most areas. Barton voted in favor of SB941.

I am surprised though, with the number of pro-gun folks in Clackamas County that it's taken this long to spot one.

My my son has a conceal but carries a large 357 that he finds no way concealing during the summer,
if you try to it looks like you have a growth or a tumor, LOL.
I seldom ever open carry just my own personal preference. I tend to open carry when I can be more at ease like family function especially that often lead to ways to talk and discuss with the liberal that are withing the family. Most are educated and open to some viable discussions and do not run and hide, 99% of the family is armed anyways.

I don't see many in Vacouver. I think most people conceal it, as I do. I just don't like advertising. I'd rather a bad guy think i'm harmless.
I read a story when I first got my CHL about a guy who was out mowing the lawn carrying and some felons robbed his neighbor of his hunting rifle. They killed the guy mowing his lawn before he had a chance to know they were there. Then took his gun and robbed his house too.
Only time I open carry is going to/from hunting, shooting, or fishing.
And here in Vancouver you get some looks. But when you see a couple guys in camo carry guns it looks a litttle out of place at your local starbucks or safeway.

I think people just have a false sense of security here in Vancouver.
They think they are far away from the portland crap, but it's getting just as bad with all the crap moving north and the more low income housing there are putting in

I don't see many in Vacouver. I think most people conceal it, as I do. I just don't like advertising. I'd rather a bad guy think i'm harmless.
I read a story when I first got my CHL about a guy who was out mowing the lawn carrying and some felons robbed his neighbor of his hunting rifle. They killed the guy mowing his lawn before he had a chance to know they were there. Then took his gun and robbed his house too.
Only time I open carry is going to/from hunting, shooting, or fishing.
And here in Vancouver you get some looks. But when you see a couple guys in camo carry guns it looks a litttle out of place at your local starbucks or safeway.

I think people just have a false sense of security here in Vancouver.
They think they are far away from the portland crap, but it's getting just as bad with all the crap moving north and the more low income housing there are putting in

With all due respect, you can find a single story - or several for that matter - that agrees with whatever mindset you may have. I'm not aware of any statistics that show that open carry attracts more violence than concealed carry. It may even be that more bad actors are dissuaded than enticed by open carry, or it may not. I don't think that we know that yet.

Check into the fine folks at: http://every2ndmatters.us/

And this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheYankeeMarshal/search?query=Every+2nd+Matters
(Who may or may not hang around here from time to time.)

---

My first OC sighting was in my local stop&rob. I was CC and in line with my beer and the guy comes in OC - business casual dress - khaki & polo (like Jake, from state farm) The convenience store owner doesn't seem weirded out. After I loaded up my car I decided to check out the place next door an (now closed) LGS. The guy was the manager of the place.

I've only been in Oregon for about 15 months now and have seen it at least a dozen times in various parts of the state. The places where I spotted it, nobody freaked out or made a big deal out of it.

But I will say the most interesting one was the young kid (22-25 years old) that was utilizing "Mexican carry".

Was he carrying it sideways gangster style?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top