JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So let's say you run out of soap or didn't carry soap to save weight. How do you disinfect your hands now?

I ask because I was watching a channel the other day where the guy suggested using wash cloths to wipe your butt instead of toilet paper since they last longer. But one thing interesting to note is that he had no soap, and even if he did, it would not last as long as his wash rags. Nothing like eating some squirrel with your hands after rinsing the poop out of the wash rags with your bare hands.

Apparently rinsing with just plain water will get rid of MOST bacteria, but not all. So what is the sage thing to do for improvised soap? Ash and fat? Does that disinfect though?

Purell hand sanatizer in my ziplock with TP.

It's also alcohol based so you can light fires with it.

And no wash cloths for me:eek:

I never, ever gave any thought to sanitizing my hands when afield. I'm almost always back in a cabin or camper when it's time to "do my duty", but always carry toilet paper with me, just in case.
Another option I do use is to have handi wipes in a zip loc tucked away in my pack.

I suppose spending more than one day away from the normal comforts would increase the need for being sanitary.

Food for thought.

I carry fire starters. Maybe I should just carry a bottle of sanitizer and kill two birds with one stone.

Soap cleans the hands by mechanical action. Look it up! This was on a test at St. Charles. So.... the act of getting dirt and other messiness off with soap provides a pretty good, but not a perfect, sanitation. If one is dealing with Ecoli, ya might want to go chemical with sanitizer or an anti-bacterial soap. If that's not good enough, have we discussed the benefits of nuclear? :eek:

Soap cleans the hands by mechanical action. Look it up! This was on a test at St. Charles. So.... the act of getting dirt and other messiness off with soap provides a pretty good, but not a perfect, sanitation. If one is dealing with Ecoli, ya might want to go chemical with sanitizer or an anti-bacterial soap. If that's not good enough, have we discussed the benefits of nuclear? :eek:
Yep, soap is simply a surfactant.. it reduces surface tension.
but I like my stories better

...not to mention the antiquated notion 'right hand is for eating and the left hand is for.....' should your interdisciplinary sociology classes be too soon forgotten.....

If you really disinfect your hands don't use hot water. Use cold water.
Hmm, that's an interesting thought..
I know that a lot of women use hot water from the tap to make coffee and stuff faster. I always tell them to not do that unless it's an "instant-on" type.
You ever see the insides of an old water heater tank?

SW Oregon USA Madrone leaves come to mind. Expedient Po Po Paper. Inexhaustible supply. But ... and this may be important ... do not confuse the large nice cool ever useful Madrone tree leaves for Poison Oak Leaves! Class ... this is important. You will see this material on the tests. :)

In the event, if you do confuse them, and aren't a precision wiper.
You will see the material on the testes!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top