JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So let's say you run out of soap or didn't carry soap to save weight. How do you disinfect your hands now?

I ask because I was watching a channel the other day where the guy suggested using wash cloths to wipe your butt instead of toilet paper since they last longer. But one thing interesting to note is that he had no soap, and even if he did, it would not last as long as his wash rags. Nothing like eating some squirrel with your hands after rinsing the poop out of the wash rags with your bare hands.

Apparently rinsing with just plain water will get rid of MOST bacteria, but not all. So what is the sage thing to do for improvised soap? Ash and fat? Does that disinfect though?

They make and have at our local pharmacy little plastic or foil packs of liquid hand sanitizer. Slightly smaller and different from the also available tiny packaged moist soap less body wash and wipe towelettes.

About the same size as the medical surgical lubricants used for whatever patient needs. Also they have the small packages of do-do paper. This is the stuff you would pack into your carry on or 3 day SHTF back pack.

Takes up little room. Usually placed into a different zipper compartment from the power bars, MRE entries, and future lifeboat ration bars, snacks, yummies, candy, etc.. Also separate from the cheap paperbacks. :)

Its easy! don't eat, don't poo which means you don't need to sanitize! :D
Just saved you a lot of weight in your bug out bag!

All kidding aside I try to always carry small bottles of hand sanitizer;)

Yeah,what's the big deal? I went 30 some years without washing my hands before lunch on job sites. Never get sick either
You need germs to keep you immune system working,don't worry about them germs

Not to mention the food dropped that didn't go to waste. Wipe it off Good to go.

I think the hand sanitizer is one reason so many people get sick now also there was no such thing when I was growing up, soap n water once every couple days.

Last Edited:
Have you tasted squirrel?

It needs a little seasoning. :D

Honestly.
I have used sand along a creek or even gritty mud, followed with a rinse, to scrub the particles of whatever off my hands.
I was taught this at age four.

What do you think the native Americans did? ;)

In the late 40's or early 50's Johnson & Johnson developed a pill that when swallowed went through your system and remained in your bowels until you needed to evacuate. Your Poo would come out in a cellophane sack and no wiping was necessairy. I think it was Crown Zellerbach paper company that bought out the patent because it would have put their azzwipe division of their company out of business. :) Well it coulda happened.

Eagerly looking for ideas as I can assure folks to don't try the "just use a snowball" idea if you have hemorrhoids. Which is why I rarely am without a half of a sheet of paper towel. Moss and/or leaves have sufficed when I was not so thoughtful to have brought the paper towel.

Hands just get rubbed into the dirt/ground.

Have you tasted squirrel?

It needs a little seasoning. :D

Honestly.
I have used sand along a creek or even gritty mud, followed with a rinse, to scrub the particles of whatever off my hands.
I was taught this at age four.

What do you think the native Americans did? ;)
They sure didn't use John Wayne toilet paper!!! :D

In the late 40's or early 50's Johnson & Johnson developed a pill that when swallowed went through your system and remained in your bowels until you needed to evacuate. Your Poo would come out in a cellophane sack and no wiping was necessairy. I think it was Crown Zellerbach paper company that bought out the patent because it would have put their azzwipe division of their company out of business. :) Well it coulda happened.
Sounds like an "urban legend" kind of thing to me....

SW Oregon USA Madrone leaves come to mind. Expedient Po Po Paper. Inexhaustible supply. But ... and this may be important ... do not confuse the large nice cool ever useful Madrone tree leaves for Poison Oak Leaves! Class ... this is important. You will see this material on the tests.

Tree rats are good to eat. Also known as gray tree squirrels. Always shot dead in season with a license and tag. Always. Goldie the Yellow Lab would bark up the wrong tree. Significant. The tree rat jumped to the next tree trying to escape a horrible death. Futile. Goldie got one tree rat.

I got two, (2). Both of us were hungry. So now you know more! Yikes! :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews