JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in Oregon selling a 1950's Colt Cobra revolver and have an interested California buyer.
Am I best off sending it as a private party to his FFL, or via my FFL?
Does the 'approved' handgun list matter since this is a private party sale?
What other problems can I expect?'

Thanks

Doesnt matter. Ive sold several revolvers to CA residents since their "troubles" started. Ive just sent them overnight UPS directly to their FFL. Never have had any problems.

I would only note that some FFL's will not receive a gun from a private party. Get the number of the FFL and call them yourself to confirm #1 that they'll take a gun from a private party, and #2, if they do, what info do they require from you.

I've sold out of state numerous times - I've found several FFL's that would only accept out of state transfers from other FFL's. Save your self time, hassle and $$ and call the FFL first to confirm.

Call the buyer's FFL & ask if he'll accept firearms from private parties. Under normal circumstances they will but you'll probably need to scan in a color copy of your DL & email it to them first. A gun of that age shouldn't be a problem unless it's one of those 1950's Colt Assault Weapons you hear so much about. You just can't ship it via USPS unless you're a FFL.

Thanks Wired,
I was thinking that might be the best way, but I don't want some foolish and unexpected problem to come up. It's not worth the hassle and distraction from the rest of the business for a few hundred bucks.
Also thanks etrain16. I've run into that elsewhere but usually I ship handguns via my FFL. Thanks for the reminder.
Much appreciated!

Call the buyer's FFL & ask if he'll accept firearms from private parties. Under normal circumstances they will but you'll probably need to scan in a color copy of your DL & email it to them first. A gun of that age shouldn't be a problem unless it's one of those 1950's Colt Assault Weapons you hear so much about. You just can't ship it via USPS unless you're a FFL.
Thank you

If you have a dealer to ship to you probably have been in contact with them and have a copy of their FFL. During that dance they will tell you if they accept a shipment from a private party.

Ive actually had dealers tell me they wouldnt accept a shipment with my C&R FFL but they would as a private party.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews