JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in Oregon selling a 1950's Colt Cobra revolver and have an interested California buyer.
Am I best off sending it as a private party to his FFL, or via my FFL?
Does the 'approved' handgun list matter since this is a private party sale?
What other problems can I expect?'

Thanks

Doesnt matter. Ive sold several revolvers to CA residents since their "troubles" started. Ive just sent them overnight UPS directly to their FFL. Never have had any problems.

I would only note that some FFL's will not receive a gun from a private party. Get the number of the FFL and call them yourself to confirm #1 that they'll take a gun from a private party, and #2, if they do, what info do they require from you.

I've sold out of state numerous times - I've found several FFL's that would only accept out of state transfers from other FFL's. Save your self time, hassle and $$ and call the FFL first to confirm.

Call the buyer's FFL & ask if he'll accept firearms from private parties. Under normal circumstances they will but you'll probably need to scan in a color copy of your DL & email it to them first. A gun of that age shouldn't be a problem unless it's one of those 1950's Colt Assault Weapons you hear so much about. You just can't ship it via USPS unless you're a FFL.

Thanks Wired,
I was thinking that might be the best way, but I don't want some foolish and unexpected problem to come up. It's not worth the hassle and distraction from the rest of the business for a few hundred bucks.
Also thanks etrain16. I've run into that elsewhere but usually I ship handguns via my FFL. Thanks for the reminder.
Much appreciated!

Call the buyer's FFL & ask if he'll accept firearms from private parties. Under normal circumstances they will but you'll probably need to scan in a color copy of your DL & email it to them first. A gun of that age shouldn't be a problem unless it's one of those 1950's Colt Assault Weapons you hear so much about. You just can't ship it via USPS unless you're a FFL.
Thank you

If you have a dealer to ship to you probably have been in contact with them and have a copy of their FFL. During that dance they will tell you if they accept a shipment from a private party.

Ive actually had dealers tell me they wouldnt accept a shipment with my C&R FFL but they would as a private party.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top