JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi everyone! I MIGHT be moving up in the Portland area from mid valley Oregon. Portland looks like a nightmare.. Crazy stories on the news daily. My question is are there any safe areas around Portland ? Beaverton, Tigard, hillsboro?? I don't go out to bars or party or anything like that, I just need to find a town that's somewhat affordable in the area that is a nice family town. I'm a boring gun packin family man. Lol. Parks, fishing spots, the zoo.. That's all I really care about. And somewhere I can drive to on BLM to shoot. Thanks everyone.

I live in SE as long as you're not a criminal I think you're okay. I've been here five years and never had a problem. I'd stay for good if I could afford to buy.

Or rather I'd buy if I ever thought I'd make my money back. My realtor doesn't even know why prices are like they are and she's been around a very long time. Affordability and value for money are foreign to the Portland housing market.

Look at this place for sale. No yard and homeless people camped on the street outside the fred Meyer on the other side of the street 20170526_192223-1~2.jpg

Last Edited:
If you're coming up from Salem, most anything on the west side of Portland is better.
Affordability may be an issue. Though many people I know deride it as the redneck heaven of Portland, I have friends and acquaintances who live in Aloha, on quiet streets, have neighbors who mind their own business, and enjoy what I would call good quality of life. If you like small towns, you can look as far as Vernonia too.

Vernonia is being bought up by intel employees who can't afford beaverton anymore.

I live on SE 82nd, ride trimet everyday, downtown transfers, etc, never felt not safe in or around PDX, and I don't even carry. I think people blow it WAY out of proportion, especially the news, and the fear mongering.

I can't really think of a major city that is more welcoming, and I've been to most. The Scariest thing is the cost.

Ca transplant. I moved here in 2002. Downtown PDX definitely doesn't have the same vibe it did then. I used to work nights so I was used to being downtown late. Portland is more safe than most cities but not as friendly as 10 years ago.

Mostly it's the homeless issue and the people that approach you. More aggressive now. Unfortunately some really need mental help.

I live on SE 82nd, ride trimet everyday, downtown transfers, etc, never felt not safe in or around PDX, and I don't even carry. I think people blow it WAY out of proportion, especially the news, and the fear mongering.

I can't really think of a major city that is more welcoming, and I've been to most. The Scariest thing is the cost.

Ever been to Nashville ??

Thanks so much everyone! We may rent a small apartment in Hillsboro starting in September if we can talk them down a little bit Otherwise we need to find an RV for a decent price or a manufactured home. Those are pretty much our only options. Right now we will just try and save money. Glad to hear a lot of
People on here live nearby.

Thanks so much everyone! We may rent a small apartment in Hillsboro starting in September if we can talk them down a little bit Otherwise we need to find an RV for a decent price or a manfactured home. Those are pretty much our only options. Right now we will just try and save money. Glad to hear a lot of

I do not want to be a negative Nancy here, but you need to think about some things. First off, forget trying to talk any landlord down at this point. You will be lucky if the rents do not go up 5% or more between now and then. Most places have a waiting list. With the sub 300 buying market gone, the pressure on the rental market is huge right now. There are about 300 apartments in the Forest Grove area under construction right now. Most will not be done until this time in 2018. They will rent for $ 1,500 for a two bedroom. There is a huge complex under construction off Scholls Ferry in Tigard, probably close to 1,000 units.

Lower rent apartment complexes are drug infested sh*tholes. Manufactured homes are available, most in lower end parks and still high rents. If you find an RV and some place to park it, you are still looking at $ 1,600 a month for space rent. If you are thinking about an apartment, I would get on several waiting lists and be prepared to execute a contract fairly quickly. The market in the Hillsboro area is probably the hottest in the metro area right now. The continuing run up in the residential markets is going to put a lot of pressure on the rental market for at least the next 5 years or more. Good Luck. Spend some time checking out the areas you are considering. There can be a huge variance in a mile or less space.

Thanks so much everyone! We may rent a small apartment in Hillsboro starting in September if we can talk them down a little bit Otherwise we need to find an RV for a decent price or a manufactured home. Those are pretty much our only options. Right now we will just try and save money. Glad to hear a lot of

The chances of you talking anyone down on rent are NIL!

My first rental in Portland five years ago cost me $1000 pm for what was basically a shanty. It's worse now and getting worse all the time. Even rents out in. Gresham are $1100 and they are owned by slum lords.

Only move here if you have to.

My first rental in Portland five years ago cost me $1000 pm for what was basically a shanty. It's worse now and getting worse all the time. Even rents out in. Gresham are $1100 and they are owned by slum lords.

I have to. Haha I'm just gonna get what I can afford I suppose, catch the rent on a good week when it's lower. They seem to go up
And down

Rents are at an all time high. We had some rental houses and raised the rent when ever we changed out renters, but we also usually did some improvements as we. Ours were just average, maybe a bit under average houses and we still got $ 1,400 a month on a 1946 3 bedroom, with some decent updates. Since we had low basis on the properties we put them up for sale a stupidly high prices. And we sold them at stupidly high prices. Took the money and ran. No more rental houses. I took my share and am investing in properties out of the metro area, specifically Central Oregon in affordable locations. I need to make about another 8 to 10 deals on bare dirt property over the next 10 years to keep retirement looking good.

The real estate market in the PDX metro/ Willamette Valley area is being driven by the 30,000 people a year coming into the area. Local area buyers are being priced out of the 400K and under market. There is simply not enough inventory available, nor under construction, nor could you construct enough houses or apartments to meet the current inflow in the next 5 years. If the current inflow migration continues at the 30,000 people a year rate, it 5 years you will have over 100,000 more in the Willamette Valley / Portland area.

Not matter how you slice it, that is going to be a HUGE impact on the quality of life in this area.

Sheriff Pat Garrett? Really? :D They say Pat Garrett's got your number, sleep with one eye open when you slumber.. The next sound you hear just might be thunder... :eek:thunder from the barrel of his gun... The businessmen from Taos want you to go down So they've hired mister Garrett, he'll force you to slow down... Sorry, couldnt help myself.....;)

Sheriff Pat Garrett? Really? :D They say Pat Garrett's got your number, sleep with one eye open when you slumber.. The next sound you hear just might be thunder... :eek:thunder from the barrel of his gun... The businessmen from Taos want you to go down So they've hired mister Garrett, he'll force you to slow down... Sorry, couldnt help myself.....;)

I know the good sheriff and run into him several times a year at the office, community functions and other events. He is pretty used to it by now, and it probably one of the best sheriffs Washington County has had in my 59 years,and I have known most of them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top