JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What type of safe lock do you use?

• Combination dial

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Electronic push button

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Key

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey all,

I am looking at getting a new safe. I have read a bunch of stuff and the concensus seems to be that electronic locks are more convenient, but less reliable over time. Combo locks are less convenient, but more reliable over time.

What do you have and why?

Thanks!

Mark

I like the dial because I can have it set away from the final digit and quick turn it and open very quickly, and if no one knows that and tries to open the lock resets. also there is no way to damage or wear key pads..I.E no replacing anything

I went with an electronic lock when I purchased my safe (RSC). Ease of use and limited maintenance were my deciding factors. I went with a quality, commercial-grade electronic lock on mine. Most safes you see in stores have electronic locks & these get used many times per day w/o problems.

While dial locks will last for years, you are supposed to have a locksmith service them periodically to ensure longevity & reliability. I also think that dial locks are just more difficult to open (even if you use tricks like leaving it set with one digit to dial).

You'll find forum talk about "what happens if a nuke goes off and your electronic lock gets fried" - well, if that happens, I have a lot of tools in my house & the time/motivation to get into my safe.

Most safes with key locks don't strike me as being very robust. These tend to be design to keep the kids out & maybe prevent a quick snatch-n-grab. That may be fine for your purposes & certainly beats hiding them under the bed (in my opinion).

Dial, because I don't lock up all of my guns and I will always have one on my person unless I'm showering or sleeping. Quick access is not a deciding factor for me. If you have to go to your safe for your gun in a SHTF situation, you should reconsider your plans.

You don't "get" ready, you stay ready.

Electronic, quick access is most important to me. I rarely sleep with a gun on my hip. The only reason I have a safe is to keep curiosity from killing the cat (My kids are gun knowledgeable but it is my opinion that you can't be to careful until they are all grown)

Liberty Safe, Presidential series, combo (S&G).

That said, I now need reading glasses to open the dang thing, perhaps a big keypad would be better for older eyes.

Laser surgery for phenomenal distance vision but so-so on the close up small stuff:eek:

I've been looking only at combo. dials one reason is what would happen if some fool breaks in to your home gets mad they can't get your guns and smashs away with something heavy at the key pad ? would'nt you have to have someone come in to fix it.

Last Edited:
I have a electric keypad no real reason except the deal I got on it. I didn't
shop around much but mine came with a actual key type lock system back up under the key pad in case someone does smash the pad, is that common?

I would have to say electronic... only because I have NEVER figured out how to use those darn combo locks... padlocks? heh, can't do those either... always had to buy one with a key or the individual numbers...

I like the dial because I can have it set away from the final digit and quick turn it and open very quickly, and if no one knows that and tries to open the lock resets. also there is no way to damage or wear key pads..I.E no replacing anything

I cant do that. My son knows the last digit.... cuz thats what its on when the door is open. He apparently pays attention.

Dial... I like not ever having to replace the battery! As others have mention you can lock the door with only have to spin the dial to unlock and that you can lock the dial with a key so you can not even attempt to unlock the safe unless you have the key to the dial and the combo.:)

I do this for a living. Traditional dial combo only. Electronic safe locks are much more prone having problems. Electronic is faster yes. But not worth the hassle. And they cost more.

Mine was cheap! But it is no Fort Knox either. It's light enough to be carried easily by 2 average men. It doesn't have much for fire protection. But all that said somebody is almost always home at my house and I bought it mostly to keep curious kids out of it. Many of my guns in the safe are loaded and ready to rock.

I cant do that. My son knows the last digit.... cuz thats what its on when the door is open. He apparently pays attention.

Thanks for all the info (opinions and pointers) on gun safes in this thread.

I got lucky a few years ago and got a used Fort Knot with combo from a nasty divorce. The face of the safe was vandalized by a very disgruntled someone so I got a good price. :)

I agree with Aristotle. The safe is for security when you ARE NOT around not for storage and quick access when you ARE around.

Also, when I finish accessing the safe and lock the door, the dial always goes back to zero. Am I paronoid or what?

IMHO,
Krazed

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews