JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bad eyesight? Wouldn't some Big Dot sites solve this issue at a fraction of the cost?...I guess I just dont get it.

There are other pluses for red dots that Big Dots don't have...
  • Red dots have better precision and therefore accuracy at distance. Big Dots are less precise at distance
  • Ability to focus on the threat instead of the front sight post...which is a huge plus
  • Faster target transitions...at least I find them to be faster on transitions...but slightly slower on the initial sight/dot acquisition
  • Better visibility at night

There are other pluses for red dots that Big Dots don't have...
  • Red dots have better precision and therefore accuracy at distance. Big Dots are less precise at distance
  • Ability to focus on the threat instead of the front sight post...which is a huge plus
  • Faster target transitions...at least I find them to be faster on transitions...but slightly slower on the initial sight/dot acquisition
  • Better visibility at night

Hmmm. Well a Shield isn't a "Precision" handgun. And the dot is only as good as the shooter. It doesn't make you better. How much distance do we need for SD? Anything more than 10-12 yards is going to require a REALLY good attorney.

I point shoot often so I always focus on the "paper threat". :D

Transitions? Maybe. But in a SD situation I think getting rounds on the threat as fast as possible is key here. I haven't heard of too many times where a person is involved in a multiple-threat self defense situation.

Night visibility? If you can't see your target very well, the red dot isn't going to do squat to help you aim. A light is the ONLY thing to improve night time issues. I'll sway this a bit and toss in tritiums here too. Pretty much useless. If it's dark enough to see them, it's too dark to positively identify your target.

Ah, bought a G17 MOS and threw a Vortex Venom on it. I was slow to pick up the dot and my astigmatism didn't help either. 3 trips to the range to try and make myself love it and it was dumped like a prude on prom night. :D

Can anyone use that argument? Because I have shot just about every flavor of Glock over the last 30 + years, from bone stock 19's to tricked out race guns, 9's, 40's and 45 and even a 10. Sub compact to long slide, factory triggers to aftermarket, and they all, every single one of them, didn't work for me. They point in the wrong direction, the recoil (except for one with a custom grip mod) is FAR more more painful than it should have been, and the accuracy was sub par at best.

But than again, maybe it's just me. :cool:

My point is that maybe it's just you.

And maybe saying "it didn't work for me so it will not work for anyone else" is part of the reason we lose when legislators take our rights away 'For The Childrenz'

I have astigmatism as well, and FOR ME, I can hit faster, farther and with better accuracy using my S&W M&P 2.0 Compact with a correctly milled (not the POS MOS ;)) and installed Holosun red dot with or with out my glasses than I can with irons.

Don't like it? Coo beans. Don't use it. But maybe understand that you are a sample of "1" and your personal experience is valuable to the conversation, but like they say, Your Mileage May Very

I don't really have a dog in this fight. My eyes are still good enough. If you decide one of these are for you I hope it works for you as intended.

Can anyone use that argument? Because I have shot just about every flavor of Glock over the last 30 + years, from bone stock 19's to tricked out race guns, 9's, 40's and 45 and even a 10. Sub compact to long slide, factory triggers to aftermarket, and they all, every single one of them, didn't work for me. They point in the wrong direction, the recoil (except for one with a custom grip mod) is FAR more more painful than it should have been, and the accuracy was sub par at best.

But than again, maybe it's just me. :cool:

My point is that maybe it's just you.

And maybe saying "it didn't work for me so it will not work for anyone else" is part of the reason we lose when legislators take our rights away 'For The Childrenz'

I have astigmatism as well, and FOR ME, I can hit faster, farther and with better accuracy using my S&W M&P 2.0 Compact with a correctly milled (not the POS MOS ;)) and installed Holosun red dot with or with out my glasses than I can with irons.

Don't like it? Coo beans. Don't use it. But maybe understand that you are a sample of "1" and your personal experience is valuable to the conversation, but like they say, Your Mileage May Very

Did I say anywhere that because it didn't work for me it wouldn't work for someone else?
I'll wait while you look for it. I stated MY opinion and nothing else.

Actually, that would be a question. Hence the question mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said it would make the gun shoot worse, nor did I say that my opinion was right and everyone else was wrong. I did, however, say that hanging more crap on your CC isn't going to make it conceal better. Wow.

I value the opinions of others who have experience and experienced things differently than I. Sharp rocks make smooth stones, at the end of the day, perhaps we learn something from each other. Makes us more well rounded, and not around the waist...

But each of us have to use equipment configured and tailored to our liking, anything less and one cannot have confidence in their equipment.

Once you have what you need, want, like and what's comfortable, you have to practice, practice, practice, to become proficient.

We're all different, that's why we all carry different sidearms, with different options, different calibers, different carry methods... Ya gotta go with what works for you...

I value the opinions of others who have experience and experienced things differently than I. Sharp rocks make smooth stones, at the end of the day, perhaps we learn something from each other. Makes us more well rounded, and not around the waist...

But each of us have to use equipment configured and tailored to our liking, anything less and one cannot have confidence in their equipment.

Once you have what you need, want, like and what's comfortable, you have to practice, practice, practice, to become proficient.

We're all different, that's why we all carry different sidearms, with different options, different calibers, different carry methods... Ya gotta go with what works for you...

Apparently when I state my thoughts on such topics it evokes a need for safe spaces and teddy bears. :rolleyes:

Night visibility? If you can't see your target very well, the red dot isn't going to do squat to help you aim. A light is the ONLY thing to improve night time issues. I'll sway this a bit and toss in tritiums here too. Pretty much useless. If it's dark enough to see them, it's too dark to positively identify your target.

What self defense situation would you need a light? A light is certainly good if your going through a building like a cop would do sweeping the area...but self defense??? If there is a threat right in front of you I'm pretty sure your going to know it whether you have a light or not. If you need a flashlight to identify your target your probably not in a self defense situation and can get yourself out of it. The only situation I can think of is if you hear a noise in your home and you go to investigate, but that's not self defense. That's you investigating making sure your not getting robbed and protecting your property.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top