JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What self defense situation would you need a light? A light is certainly good if your going through a building like a cop would do sweeping the area...but self defense??? If there is a threat right in front of you I'm pretty sure your going to know it whether you have a light or not. If you need a flashlight to identify your target your probably not in a self defense situation and can get yourself out of it. The only situation I can think of is if you hear a noise in your home and you go to investigate, but that's not self defense. That's you investigating making sure your not getting robbed and protecting your property.

Ensuring what's at the end of your muzzle.

That's exactly what I do. :rolleyes:

All SD situations happen in broad daylight huh?
It's a serious question though. To say tritium sights have zero purpose for self defense I think is a foolish thing to say. Think self defense...someone is attacking you or is a direct threat that you cant escape. If you have time to look around with a flashlight to identify your target that's not self defense. I'm not saying flashlights dont have a purpose. Like I said cops or any kind of law enforcement sweeping a dark building would absolutely benefit from it being able to identify a threat quickly. But in a self defense situation that threat has already made itself known to you. And tritium sights will just help make sure your on target.

a light with a strobe is very disorienting in the dark. it could mean having an advantage over an attacker. if anything, id rather have a light than night sights. i feel night sights are ONLY good for identifying your weapon on your night stand when its pitch black and now you hear a noise in your house.

Again, I'm out! Do whatever you guys want. LOVE an optic on a EDC? It's all good.
It's a serious question though. To say tritium sights have zero purpose for self defense I think is a foolish thing to say. Think self defense...someone is attacking you or is a direct threat that you cant escape. If you have time to look around with a flashlight to identify your target that's not self defense. I'm not saying flashlights dont have a purpose. Like I said cops or any kind of law enforcement sweeping a dark building would absolutely benefit from it being able to identify a threat quickly. But in a self defense situation that threat has already made itself known to you. And tritium sights will just help make sure your on target.

Tritium sights are visible in an ALMOST pitch black environment. I've practiced shooting with lights and without in complete darkness. My point is, at least for ME, that if I can see the vials glowing I can't see much of anything else. If I use a light, either weapon mounted or handheld the sights are completely dark outlines. I run night sights on ALL my SD pistols BTW. More to find the gun on the nightstand than anything else.

If you haven't had a chance to shoot pistols in a zero light environment I would suggest you try it. :)

a light with a strobe is very disorienting in the dark. it could mean having an advantage over an attacker. if anything, id rather have a light than night sights. i feel night sights are ONLY good for identifying your weapon on your night stand when its pitch black and now you hear a noise in your house.
Speaking of...

I really need to find a good light for my XD's

That's actually a good point but if I feel the need to pull a gun on someone its beyond the point of trying to disorientate...

Speaking of...

I really need to find a good light for my XD's
i have a tlr3 and tlr4 with laser. i got them for free so i cant complain. cant find holsters for them so they stay on my night stand gun(s). the tlr1 seems to be fairly common to find a pre-fit holster for it.

That's actually a good point but if I feel the need to pull a gun on someone its beyond the point of trying to disorientate...
sure, i just wanna see my 'target' whats beyond my 'target' if i decide do shoot. what if one of my kids snuck out of his room and is hiding in the corner behind the invader? that would be a mistake i could never make right.

WARNING: Thread Closure Imminent

This thread has had numerous rule violations from multiple members. Additional rule violations will result in this thread being closed.

Please click the Report button to report rule violations and help keep this thread open. Click here to view the rules.

and here I havent even posted yet,
a shield with a RMR for carry... meh
if your gun doesnt have every doodad available today its basically worthless... thats where society is head with gun collections and count me out. KISS

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads