JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wonder what this means for the 2.0 CORE? Is it close behind? :rolleyes:

Performance Center | Smith & Wesson
11786_01_lg_0.jpg

Um...there's a whole lot of people...many professional trainers...that would disagree with you. I can understand if you personally don't care for red dots. But your statement is just comical.

Wow. I can't make a comment about increasing its size as a CC without you calling it "comical"? Your lack of understanding what I'm saying is comical.

I'm not sure what you mean by more "seasoned".....

Something I always thought was interesting with red dots, especially on pistols, is when the red dot is on target, so are the iron sights. So really it becomes an exercise in muscle memory as much as it does sight alignment because with enough practice, presenting on target becomes fairly natural even without looking specifically at and aligning the sights.

Not knocking red dots, I believe they have their place, but when I experienced pistols with mounted red dots it seemed to me that the same muscle memory used to put a red dot on target 100% mimicked what was needed to put iron sights on target.

The difference between the handguns and rifles being that with rifles generally we are working with a longer sight radius leading more distance to be lined up, compared to the 4-6 inches on a pistol that can be done just with proper mechanics without even looking at the sights.

Something I always thought was interesting with red dots, especially on pistols, is when the red dot is on target, so are the iron sights. So really it becomes an exercise in muscle memory as much as it does sight alignment because with enough practice, presenting on target becomes fairly natural even without looking specifically at and aligning the sights.

Not knocking red dots, I believe they have their place, but when I experienced pistols with mounted red dots it seemed to me that the same muscle memory used to put a red dot on target 100% mimicked what was needed to put iron sights on target.

The difference between the handguns and rifles being that with rifles generally we are working with a longer sight radius leading more distance to be lined up, compared to the 4-6 inches on a pistol that can be done just with proper mechanics without even looking at the sights.

Well said. CC firearms should be as fast as possible and probably will be more "point shot" if someone actually has to use it to defend themself.

My point to my original post was why not add an optic to the compact series or another one of their offerings? The Shield was purpose built to conceal deep and well even with smaller framed folks. Adding the optic certainly isn't going to help it print any less. Certainly not knocking the M&P's. I just bought a 5" 9mm this last weekend. :)

Wow. I can't make a comment about increasing its size as a CC without you calling it "comical"? Your lack of understanding what I'm saying is comical.

You can absolutely make a comment about red dots increasing the size of a CC gun. Just like I can say I find your statement comical. :D

Red dots do increase the "footprint" a little...but not in any of the meaningful areas that make the gun harder to conceal. Hence...I see comedy. :)

You can absolutely make a comment about red dots increasing the size of a CC gun. Just like I can say I find your statement comical. :D

Red dots do increase the "footprint" a little...but not in any of the meaningful areas that make the gun harder to conceal. Hence...I see comedy. :)

The holster will certainly have to be much larger to accommodate the optic.

And I'm glad I made you laugh. I'm here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress. :)

The holster will certainly have to be much larger to accommodate the optic.

Point on the picture where the bad man touched you. :D

Where exactly was this JM Custom AIWB-WC holster made "much larger" to accommodate this Trijicon RMR? If anything the holster has less material than a standard holster.

And I'll fully concede that I don't know every red dot/holster combination out there. I think Deltapoints tend to be a bit larger so maybe holsters need to somehow be larger to accommodate them. But clearly this particular holster was not made larger by the addition of the red dot.

Lwu4evO.jpg

Well said. CC firearms should be as fast as possible and probably will be more "point shot" if someone actually has to use it to defend themself.

My point to my original post was why not add an optic to the compact series or another one of their offerings? The Shield was purpose built to conceal deep and well even with smaller framed folks. Adding the optic certainly isn't going to help it print any less. Certainly not knocking the M&P's. I just bought a 5" 9mm this last weekend. :)

I think the crux of it is the guys that carry RDS equipped guns for CC usually call themselves gunfighters and carry a g19 or larger :)

The Shield has always been a budget option for normies.

I'm now in my 70's. In a dark parking lot at 2 am I think I'd be all for a red dot instead of iron sights. Yes, it's a little more cumbersome, but not much. I had red dots on my tournament paintball guns. They're very quick to use and easy to see. Yes, I can pretty much hit what I point at without even looking, but if you can only see a piece of a bad guy some type of sight can be handy.

All of my CC holsters go back to the rear sight. Every holster is made differently. I also AIWB so yes, the optic would print more.

IMG_3824.JPG

You are dealing with "get off my lawn" OLD PEOPLE here ;)
Seriously though I LOVE this idea. Is the pistol bigger? Of course. My eye's and iron sights do not always go together well any more. In the right lighting I can still use irons well. In many situations any more the damn front sight literally just is not there any more for me. I mean I have to STRAIN to make out the damn front sight and target. So for me there is optics, lasers, point shooting. Point shooting is something I just have never been good at. Have burned a train car of ammo trying. Some are VERY good at it and don't understand why others are not. It is just a talent. Sadly I do not poses it and no amount of practice makes me good enough to want to have to use it at any real distance. So Laser. I love those, many hate on them, fine with me, don't own stock in them. Last optics. Now those I LOVE. A "carry gun" with one is VERY tempting to me. Many will never be in the same situation. Some are blessed with eyes that do not age as badly. Wife for an example is a year older than me and still does not need readers or bi focal. Others are natural point shooters who can hone this skill to very good, I can't. I suspect these pistols optic ready, at prices that are in the same "area" as others are going to be a hit, big hit. They will certainly not be for everyone but, I know I like the idea

You are dealing with "get off my lawn" OLD PEOPLE here ;)
Seriously though I LOVE this idea. Is the pistol bigger? Of course. My eye's and iron sights do not always go together well any more. In the right lighting I can still use irons well. In many situations any more the damn front sight literally just is not there any more for me. I mean I have to STRAIN to make out the damn front sight and target. So for me there is optics, lasers, point shooting. Point shooting is something I just have never been good at. Have burned a train car of ammo trying. Some are VERY good at it and don't understand why others are not. It is just a talent. Sadly I do not poses it and no amount of practice makes me good enough to want to have to use it at any real distance. So Laser. I love those, many hate on them, fine with me, don't own stock in them. Last optics. Now those I LOVE. A "carry gun" with one is VERY tempting to me. Many will never be in the same situation. Some are blessed with eyes that do not age as badly. Wife for an example is a year older than me and still does not need readers or bi focal. Others are natural point shooters who can hone this skill to very good, I can't. I suspect these pistols optic ready, at prices that are in the same "area" as others are going to be a hit, big hit. They will certainly not be for everyone but, I know I like the idea

Point taken.

I don't have red dots on any pistols that aren't AR's, but I do have a TLR-1 on the G17 I conceal, from my perspective, low light conditions are best served by putting light on a target, not necessarily a red dot on a target that is hard to see clearly because of dark conditions. Going back to topic of red dots and iron sights, with illumination on target, iron sights function just the same as during the day.

It would make sense that folks who desire better results in low light shooting, if they want to go the red dot route, should also add a light to the mixture.

That all being said, many years ago, my now deceased grandfather put a red dot on his pellet rifle he used to dispatch many nuisance birds. His eyes simply deteriorated to the point iron sights compared to a red dot became less practical. So I can very easily empathize for those with 'older' eyes, that they would appreciate a red dot even on a handgun.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews