JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Nope.

"Sudetenland, sections of northern and western Bohemia and northern Moravia, in the vicinity of the Sudeten mountain ranges. The Sudetenland, which had a predominately German population, was incorporated into Czechoslovakia when that new nation's frontiers were drawn in 1918–19. The Sudeten and other Germans in Czechoslovakia numbered about 3,000,000 in the interwar period. Because of its German majority, the Sudetenland later became a major source of contention between Germany and Czechoslovakia..."
https://www.britannica.com/place/Sudetenland
I'll grant that Britannica supersedes Wikipedia:oops:

And I still say that Hitler's taking of Sudetenland was...illegal, an act of war.

Last Edited:

Overlay all the historical empires not just when Russia was at its Zenith! Hell, I want the old
family ranch back but it was sold when I was a child. Russia shrank,,,deal with it.

Hawaii..

Makes no sense huh.
That's the dilemma isn't it. Since seemingly forever, migration and conquest was the method that served mankind acquiring new lands. To decry those methods happening today is basically to say, "well, we already got ours, and earlier than you, and now you don't get to get yours."

At the same time however, two wrongs don't make a right so just because some people got screwed over in the past doesn't mean it should be allowed to happen today for "fairness."

I've had discussions in the past about American expansion, colonization, American Indians, etc. Because it can be helpful to think about history in context and not in a vacuum. I was having a conservation with someone about Columbus and how the European migration to North America would eventually decimate American Indian populations. I acknowledged those facts, but also presented for consideration that although that was terrible for those American Indians, there would be no United States of America without that event. Fast forward to 1940. The United States is primarily the reason that Hitler and Japan didn't dominate the world. Now obviously we have a butterfly effect going on here because to imagine just blipping the U.S. out of existence and nothing else also changing historically would be of course incorrect. At some level though it can be argued that everything that brought the U.S. into existence, the good and the bad, ultimately also contributed to the U.S. being the principle player to prevent Hitler and Japan from dominating the world in 1940.

Anyway, I presented this concept to someone who was trying to talk about Columbus' role in history as a "mass murderer," (indirectly). I encouraged them to consider that the totality of events leading to the creation of the U.S. also allowed the U.S. to prevent Hitler from achieving world domination.

Long story short, we can't pick and choose with history and how things have happened. There have been groups of people and individuals who have gotten the better or worse side of things.

To tie this back to current events. If two groups of people have conflicting desires/goals and are willing to fight over them to achieve their desired result. How do we avoid what is seemingly the inevitable?

That's the dilemma isn't it. Since seemingly forever, migration and conquest was the method that served mankind acquiring new lands. To decry those methods happening today is basically to say, "well, we already got ours, and earlier than you, and now you don't get to get yours."

At the same time however, two wrongs don't make a right so just because some people got screwed over in the past doesn't mean it should be allowed to happen today for "fairness."

I've had discussions in the past about American expansion, colonization, American Indians, etc. Because it can be helpful to think about history in context and not in a vacuum. I was having a conservation with someone about Columbus and how the European migration to North America would eventually decimate American Indian populations. I acknowledged those facts, but also presented for consideration that although that was terrible for those American Indians, there would be no United States of America without that event. Fast forward to 1940. The United States is primarily the reason that Hitler and Japan didn't dominate the world. Now obviously we have a butterfly effect going on here because to imagine just blipping the U.S. out of existence and nothing else also changing historically would be of course incorrect. At some level though it can be argued that everything that brought the U.S. into existence, the good and the bad, ultimately also contributed to the U.S. being the principle player to prevent Hitler and Japan from dominating the world in 1940.

Anyway, I presented this concept to someone who was trying to talk about Columbus' role in history as a "mass murderer," (indirectly). I encouraged them to consider that the totality of events leading to the creation of the U.S. also allowed the U.S. to prevent Hitler from achieving world domination.

Long story short, we can't pick and choose with history and how things have happened. There have been groups of people and individuals who have gotten the better or worse side of things.

To tie this back to current events. If two groups of people have conflicting desires/goals and are willing to fight over them to achieve their desired result. How do we avoid what is seemingly the inevitable?
Im more on the might makes right side myself. The Russians have their sphere of influence and the Ukrainians got Crimea by a recent accident of history. The Crimeans who are vast majority Russian and overwhelmingly wanted to go back into Russia . Let them have their self determination. If Russia is able to better administer the area and they are able to take it militarily with minimal effort as they did I have a hard time seeing how Ukraine can say they have a rock solid claim on the Crimea. The Russians are NOT giving it up. This is a fun discussion but yeah, they arent going anywhere.

Status

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR