JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Right because they care so much about about civilians. :s0004:
The Eastern province are majority Russian. I know everyone thinks the Russians have the worst possible motives at all times but to me it looks like theyre clearing out the children in the area before they start a major counteroffensive. Common Soviet/Russian policy going back to WW2.

so how does Russia consider this a Ukrainian terrorist attack?

"All vehicles crossing the bridge are supposed to undergo state-of-the-art checks for explosives. The truck that exploded was owned by a resident of the Krasnodar region in southern Russia. Russian authorities said the man's home was searched and experts were looking at the truck's route."

Does Russia, with an economy the size of Mexico or Italy, have the resources to fight a longer war? The equipment and material that they had going into this war was built up by limiting the civilian sector of the economy. Pretty soon they will reach the bottom of the Soviet-era barrel, and have to gear up production of ammo, rockets, tanks, etc.. The civilians in Moscow and Petersburg will have to give up the standard of living that they have become accustomed to. Even in a totalitarian society, there will be pushback.

Does Russia, with an economy the size of Mexico or Italy, have the resources to fight a longer war? The equipment and material that they had going into this war was built up by limiting the civilian sector of the economy. Pretty soon they will reach the bottom of the Soviet-era barrel, and have to gear up production of ammo, rockets, tanks, etc.. The civilians in Moscow and Petersburg will have to give up the standard of living that they have become accustomed to. Even in a totalitarian society, there will be pushback.
Totalitarian regime? Maybe somewhat authoritarian but far from Totalitarian. I suppose if you have never been there and dont know many Russians it would be easy to be led to believe it was a totalitarian state from watching US news sources but thats really far from the case. They have normal elections that Putin and his party actually do win by a landslide every time. They dont have a lot of patience for multiple party systems. Russians like a strong leader and they keep electing Putin believe it or not. When we hear of opposition leaders you're hearing about fringe parties with 5% of the vote. Yeah, the economic pain of a losing war may cause some reexamination of that. The Russian economy is pretty well insulated from the worlds economy so while it might seem like they cant afford years of a major war they do have the capability to run a pretty big deficit to do it. Remember we are the country thats $20 trillion in debt and we keep spending like drunken sailors. They have a pretty good nest egg saved up from continuing international oil sales.

Personally I think they'll be trying to cut a deal in the next few weeks.

Is it just me or does anyone else suspect that this Russian adventure is a ploy by the Chinese to deplete our stocks of munitions to make their grab at Taiwan easier?

Is it just me or does anyone else suspect that this Russian adventure is a ploy by the Chinese to deplete our stocks of munitions to make their grab at Taiwan easier?
More likely an opportunistic move than a planned one. I think that the Ukraine War is an example of political posturing going too far. It came about from diplomatic/clandestine maneuvering that created a crisis, and a Ukrainian population that wanted out from under the Russians.

All that will hold the Chinese back is seeing the rest of the world united in absorbing hardship to oppose a brute force takeover of a free democracy.

I have direct information from someone in Germany that the people there have gone through a sea change about their security.

Until the Ukraine War, Germans thought that the interdependence of the World Economy made a major war impossible. That attitude went away, and has been replaced by a realization that they need to have military strength to be secure. Not only that, but they no longer trust Russia to hold to promises/bargains/contracts.

Despite the strong support for Green energy, they see the need to reopen coal-fired power plants and delay closing nuclear power plants. The expectation is that Natural Gas prices will triple this winter. The damage to the Nordstream pipeline merely cemented this attitude, rather than inspiring Germans to stop supporting Ukraine. Very few there expected to be using much Russian NG anyway.

Germany was considered the EU nation with the closest economic ties to Russia. For them to flip the other way has major repercussions in trade between Russia and all of the EU.

Totalitarian regime? Maybe somewhat authoritarian but far from Totalitarian. I suppose if you have never been there and dont know many Russians it would be easy to be led to believe it was a totalitarian state from watching US news sources but thats really far from the case. They have normal elections that Putin and his party actually do win by a landslide every time. They dont have a lot of patience for multiple party systems. Russians like a strong leader and they keep electing Putin believe it or not. When we hear of opposition leaders you're hearing about fringe parties with 5% of the vote. Yeah, the economic pain of a losing war may cause some reexamination of that. The Russian economy is pretty well insulated from the worlds economy so while it might seem like they cant afford years of a major war they do have the capability to run a pretty big deficit to do it. Remember we are the country thats $20 trillion in debt and we keep spending like drunken sailors. They have a pretty good nest egg saved up from continuing international oil sales.

Personally I think they'll be trying to cut a deal in the next few weeks.
Free elections in Russia where the opposition has no access to public media and is often arrested and jailed (or assassinated) seems a poor description.

When you fear to speak the truth in public, it qualifies as totalitarian, not authoritarian.

Authoritarian is where you can speak the truth, but they do what they want anyway.

You'd think they would have learned that after the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam
Scary thing is, many of the weapons systems and munitions have had their production facilities closed years ago.

We are running through supplies far faster than we can manufacture them, and now they admit production lines are shut? I understand that the military feels it is keeping enough materials for threats that it perceives... and only giving away excess capacity...
But how is it that we would be shutting facilities when China is expanding military budgeting at unprecedented rates?

Free elections in Russia where the opposition has no access to public media and is often arrested and jailed (or assassinated) seems a poor description.

When you fear to speak the truth in public, it qualifies as totalitarian, not authoritarian.

Authoritarian is where you can speak the truth, but they do what they want anyway.
Yes the US media would have you believe that.

Yeah, The old lady and I were having a discussion about something that led into what stereotypes of different groups and the one of Russians came up. Keep in mind that this is a woman who grew up in a nominally totalitarian state ( sort of . The late Soviet Union wasn't really that totalitarian either ) and I had to explain the concept of totalitarianism to her. Her extended family still lives in St Petersburg . "thats stupid, Russia is nothing like that " .

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top