JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So can someone explain the rules on carrying a loaded weapon in Oregon that is not concealed? I read that you are allowed to open carry a loaded weapon as long as you have a license but a co worker of mine told me it is not legal only concealed carry? So I was just hoping someone could clarify for me.
How to explain Oregon's rules when some are stupid. Washington State open carry is allowed without a permit and only some of oregon allows that. Some of open carry in Oregon requires a permit. I say talk to someone that knows the rules before you get into trouble in that liberal state. Call Lars Larson and ask him, he's pretty smart on gun stuff.

As a few have said already; Oregon is an open carry state. Meaning legal to carry without a permit. In those few municipalities where it is prohibited it doesnt apply to chl holders. I used to open carry pretty much everywhere I went throughout the state and never had any problems with police. Lots of dirty looks from people and sometimes a negative comment but I actually got more positive feedback than anything. And if someone in portland has a problem with it they can go kick rocks. Don't escalate any situation and respect businesses right to ban them and you'll be fine. And if you happen to feel uneasy about open carrying somewhere then don't do it. Libs can smell fear. By all means do your own research and don't take my word for it. Kevin starrett of OFF's book is a good place to start.

ORS 166.173:
Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

Where does it say your license to carry concealed must be from Oregon?

ORS 166.173:
Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

Where does it say your license to carry concealed must be from Oregon?

ORS 166.260(1)(i)

Oregon-chl.com/reciprocity.php :

Although the US Constitution requires that states give "full faith and credit" to licenses issued by other states (e.g. driver's licenses), there has been resistance to following this law and applying the principle to concealed carry licenses.

Many states will nevertheless recognize a valid concealed handgun license issued by another state, provided that the other state also recognizes their license. This is referred to a reciprocity.

Unfortunately, even though the original CHL law required the secretary of state in Oregon to negotiate reciprocity agreements, none ever were, and that part of the law was quietly dropped. There have been several efforts to revise the law in Oregon to provide reciprocity but these have been blocked in one way or another (no prizes for guessing which party is responsible for this).

As a result, Oregon is one of the few states that does not recognize any other state's license. Fortunately, there are several states which require no licence to carry concealed, and a few more that are willing to recognize an Oregon CHL even if Oregon does not reciprocate.

An Oregon CHL is currently valid in: reciprocity.png

• Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kentucky
  • Michigan
  • Missouri,
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Utah.
In addition the following states do not require a concealed handgun license:

• Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Vermont
  • Wyoming
  • Arkansas (but maybe not. See this)
Before travelling, please verify with the states you will be visiting. This information can change without notice. Click on the map above to go to the interactive map at usacarry.com for up to date information -- but remember this is their best effort, to be absolutely safe verify with the state(s) to which you are travelling.

See the links section for pointers to websites with reciprocity information.

Last Edited:
If I remember correctly, Portland doesn't actually prohibit open carry, Multnomah County does. I know, same diff. My understanding is that Oregon is open carry, but I don't believe it expressly permits it. In other words, we're open carry by default, which allows various local jurisdictions to prohibit it as they see fit.
As for a CHL, that is state law and administered by the various Sheriffs departments, which means concealed carry can't be prohibited by any county or city ordinances, since state law overrides them. A concealed licences does not allow you to open carry where it's not permitted.

Last Edited:
Open carry is legal in Oregon. However, the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places. What this means is that you are prohibited from carrying a loaded firearm openly. But you can carry an empty gun all day long. This local prohibition does not apply to those who have an Oregon CHL.

The map above needs to be updated. Nevada recently added Oregon to their list of recognized concealed carry permits.

Oregon-chl.com/reciprocity.php :

Although the US Constitution requires that states give "full faith and credit" to licenses issued by other states (e.g. driver's licenses), there has been resistance to following this law and applying the principle to concealed carry licenses.

Nope - this isn't the way the Supreme Court sees things. Individual state's laws are not abrogated just because some other state has a conflicting law. If that was the case, then there would in essence be no state laws at all.

The Supreme Court has recognized a "public policy exception" to both the Full Faith and Credit Clause and the accompanying federal statute (U.S. CodeTitle 28 › Part V › Chapter 115 › § 1738)

In 1939, the Supreme Court in Pacific Employers Insurance v. Industrial Accident wrote:

" . . . in the case of statutes...the full faith and credit clause does not require one state to substitute for its own statute, applicable to persons and events within it, the conflicting statute of another state,"

So I have a little different version of the same question. In Orygun if I have my CHL can I carry a loaded rifle and or shotgun in my vehicle? If so can it be in passenger compartment? I have read the laws and I am still confused.... I have heard both yes and no from multiple sources. Just want to see what the NWFA consensus is.

Thank you

So I have a little different version of the same question. In Orygun if I have my CHL can I carry a loaded rifle and or shotgun in my vehicle? If so can it be in passenger compartment? I have read the laws and I am still confused.... I have heard both yes and no from multiple sources. Just want to see what the NWFA consensus is.

Thank you

I always thought you could, even without a chl.

Back in the day it was common to see guns in gunracks... As far as I know nothings changed except the gunrack etiquette.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top