JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So can someone explain the rules on carrying a loaded weapon in Oregon that is not concealed? I read that you are allowed to open carry a loaded weapon as long as you have a license but a co worker of mine told me it is not legal only concealed carry? So I was just hoping someone could clarify for me.

IANAL, as far as I know it is legal to open carry in Oregon which is the same as Washington. I have open carried in Oregon without issue. Your mileage may vary.

I have heard that as well. I'm guessing people conceal carry mostly because they don't want the police called on them every time they go out. But I am legally able to carry owb and it be visable and not go to jail?

You should speak to a lawyer familiar with Oregon/Portland laws.
It's the only way to be sure. Probably better have them on retainer just in case.

Borrowed from opencarry.org:
Oregon is a traditional open carry state. However, their preemption statute only covers concealed handgun license holders from city or county passed bans against loaded firearms in public places. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places, and other cities have passed bans specific to Parks. Also, all "public buildings" are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license.
It goes on to say:
Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, an Oregon concealed handgun permit holder is exempt from all local open carry bans.

Oregon has no laws that I know of prohibiting open carry however within Oregon some local jurisdictions do. Like Multnomah County. Because of the state preemption law one can only carry openly in those jurisdictions with a current Oregon issued CHL on their person. Reference the link vOlcom13snOw mentioned above

Oregon does have a law regarding possession of a firearm which includes open carry, ORS 166.250 ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes
everything you need to now about carryng guns in Oregon starts there, and only gets more complicated. I suggest you buy the book Oregons Gun Laws, pretty much sums it up.

Oregon's Gun Laws. A guide for gun owners in the Beaver State. - Oregon Firearms Federation

So can someone explain the rules on carrying a loaded weapon in Oregon that is not concealed? I read that you are allowed to open carry a loaded weapon as long as you have a license but a co worker of mine told me it is not legal only concealed carry? So I was just hoping someone could clarify for me.

You may carry openly loaded with exceptions for some areas:
Loaded for all purposes is a full magazine, locked into the gun. Let's not debate the "in the chamber loaded" situation. Loaded is minimally defined for this purposes as rounds in magazine + magazine in gun.

Where you cannot carry loaded: Beaverton, Portland, Multnomah County, Monmouth (I believe), Salem and a few other smaller regions.

You may also NOT carry in a hospital or any private business that says "no guns allowed". Their right to do so, take your business elsewhere.

You MAY carry loaded in your car, but you are subject to the laws of the towns and counties that you are within. You car is not defined as a private space anymore. (something like that)... If you carry in your car, do yourself a favor... slide locked open, mag 1/2 way inserted in and on the seat next to you.

You MAY carry loaded/unloaded on your person inside a vehicle as long as it's visible from a casual observer. You may carry CONCEALED if you are going TO or FROM a shooting event and/or hunting/fishing.

I am NOT a lawyer. All of the information given above assumes that the person carrying the firearm is allowed legally to do so. Please do your own research and verify for yourself or hire somebody to wade through the muck...

You are free to carry a gun without a round in the chamber, full magazine in your pocket openly visible anywhere in the state that is not state/federally prohibited. (federal property/post offices and places listed above.... etc). Oddly enough you can carry on school grounds openly... I wouldn't advise that. I do it concealed.:D

If you live in Multnomah County and want to open carry, besides first seeing an attorney, you may also want to visit a psychiatrist as well.

If you don't have a CHL, get one. Then you are good to go everywhere that allows concealed carry. The Portland and other cities prohibitions do not apply to one who has a valid CHL.

for some reason I missed the "with license" part in the thread title. Its legal to open carry with an Oregon CHL. Not really the best idea though...

for some reason I missed the "with license" part in the thread title. Its legal to open carry with an Oregon CHL. Not really the best idea though...
Yeah, so did I. Guess that's what happens when sentences are not fluid.

Open carry with a CHL... Sure. Do it. You can legally do it anywhere you can conceal carry. I do it all the time. I'm still alive and haven't had one issue.

Open carry with a CHL... Sure. Do it. You can legally do it anywhere you can conceal carry. I do it all the time. I'm still alive and haven't had one issue.

Your profile says your from Albany. Let us know how that works for you when you visit downtown Portland.

Well, that would vary depending upon what part of the state one is talking about. For Multnomah County, it would be a most risky proposition indeed, in my opinion.

Too many people there hate guns. And that includes the local authorities. One would pretty much be asking for trouble.

Well, that would vary depending upon what part of the state one is talking about. For Multnomah County, it would be a most risky proposition indeed, in my opinion.

Too many people there hate guns. And that includes the local authorities. One would pretty much be asking for trouble.

the OP's profile says hes from Gresham so yeah Im assuming hes in Mult. Co.

the open carry debate is an interesting phenomenon to me, Ive finally seen it maybe a handful of times now and only in the more urban areas of Portland yet Ive been all over the state over the years in many small towns and never seen anyone open carry there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top