JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
:(

A decided thumbs down over here in $1000 .22 rifle land with the newly introduced Ruger Recision .22.

This is from one of our major shooting websites -

'Tried a Ruger Precision in 0.22RF at the club recently. 25 yards indoors. Put the holes in the paper okay but the bolt felt as though it was sliding on gravel. The trigger pull must have been at least 6lbs. Really heavy & dragging. Not very good at all. Is this the norm "out of the box" for a Precision.

As an aside this was the second rifle the owner had. The first had serious extraction problems.

Would not be happy if it were my rifle.'

Anybody else less than happy with their new Ruger Precision .22 rifle? Remember that in the US, if it is less than satisfactory, you can just walk it back into the LGS it came from, and ask for another one that works. Over here, we are effectively 'selling' it back to the dealer, and have to apply all over again for a .22 bolt-action rifle as though we were starting from scratch - even though it is a so-called one-for-one. This CAN take six months or more to come through. No wonder people are getting a mite peeved.

:(

A decided thumbs down over here in $1000 .22 rifle land with the newly introduced Ruger Recision .22.

This is from one of our major shooting websites -

'Tried a Ruger Precision in 0.22RF at the club recently. 25 yards indoors. Put the holes in the paper okay but the bolt felt as though it was sliding on gravel. The trigger pull must have been at least 6lbs. Really heavy & dragging. Not very good at all. Is this the norm "out of the box" for a Precision.

As an aside this was the second rifle the owner had. The first had serious extraction problems.

Would not be happy if it were my rifle.'

Anybody else less than happy with their new Ruger Precision .22 rifle? Remember that in the US, if it is less than satisfactory, you can just walk it back into the LGS it came from, and ask for another one that works. Over here, we are effectively 'selling' it back to the dealer, and have to apply all over again for a .22 bolt-action rifle as though we were starting from scratch - even though it is a so-called one-for-one. This CAN take six months or more to come through. No wonder people are getting a mite peeved.

Ruger® Ruger Precision® Rimfire * Bolt-Action Rifle Models

At twice the price plus eh? And the $1000.00 you mention doesn't include all the fees you pay to own it does it?

Seems like a person over there would be better off sticking to the tried and true, older rifles, 70-118 years old!

Re-reading...I don't think he said he paid $1000 for this Ruger precision Rifle but was only saying metaphorically he was from the land of one thousand dollar .22's. Still don't have any idea what this rifle would cost over there. It would be interesting to know if it is cheap enough to make it worthwhile buying it over an Anschutz or BSA. First, I'm sorry and disappointed his rifle doesn't please him. Second, and most important, I understand it would be tough returning an unsatisfactory firearm to and from the other side of the world. It would cause me to buy a European gun. And third, I am completely pleased with my Ruger Precision Rifle. It is my most accurate rimfire, ever.

There are no new Anschutz rimfire rifles at this price point here in yUK. And BSA stopped making firearms more than fifty years ago. It would have to go back to the importers/distributors, in our case, Viking Arms, a company with a long history of ignoring its customers as part of the business ethos. BTW, when we had that little contretemps with Remington a couple of years back, where they spontaneously 'fired' without human intervention, there was a US-wide recall. Here in Europe we were all urged to return guns with a certain serial number, or type pf trigger, to our LGS for 'fixing' or replacing. To my knowledge not a single one of these rifles has either been 'fixed' or replaced. Bear in mind that Remington outsells the nearest competitor - Tikka - by about two to one, and you can see that even in yUK this is a LOT of guns.

Might send Ruger an e-mail suggesting that they do a more careful job of QC on their exported firearms due to the issues you folks have with cs and returning/replacing firearms. Probably won't do any good, but if you all hammer Ruger a bit it might rattle their bucket a little.

Might send Ruger an e-mail suggesting that they do a more careful job of QC on their exported firearms due to the issues you folks have with cs and returning/replacing firearms. Probably won't do any good, but if you all hammer Ruger a bit it might rattle their bucket a little.

About eight years ago, when I actually made a personal call to Ruger HQ asking why they had reneged on their company policy concerning the supply of spares for ten years after cessation of production - in this case the Ruger Old Army revolver, I was told that the entire Ruger annual sales in yUK amounted to less than a good day in any Texan gun store. Apart from putting me firmly in my box, I was so p****d that I put the phone down.

There is no possible bucket rattling that will get their attention. Just like Chevy, Ford, Whirlpool...They mass produce by the many hundreds of thousands and individual quality control is cheapest by letting the consumer sort out the problems. Not picking on Ruger any more than others, cause this is the new American quality control model.
You might be right about Ruger because my buddy has had to deal with their cs a couple times. Both times they were not fun to deal with. On the other hand though, some businesses go out of their way to help its customers. Savage is one of those businesses. My buddy also had to deal with Savage and they treated him so well that he ended up buying more savage rifles. This in turn has had me on a Savage rifle buying spree as well. Companies that go above and beyond to keep their customers happy is where I put my money.

My point...Anschutz and BSA were just generic expressions for European gun companies. My question was, is it obviously cheaper to buy a Ruger as opposed to buying a European or Asian gun?

Well, as you can imagine, like you, we have the choice of the world of guns of all kinds, except, of course, 99% of all handguns and 100% of all semi-auto centrefire rifles/carbines.....

Generally speaking, the Ruger Model 77 is priced slightly higher than the CZ equivalent, but is not very popular, whereas CZ sells in the thousands. The Ruger 10/22 remains THE most popular .22RF autoloader of all time, and given the number of custom competition builders here in yUK that cater for it, it's likely to stay that way. There are a large number of rimfire matches that use nothing else, TBH. We also like the M4 lookalikes from Spikes and Lantec as well as Schmeisser, the last two if money is no object, and all the military/black rifle look-alikes from Germany as well. I can't say that I know of any Asian .22 rifles - perhaps you can enlighten me there. We are, of course, just talking about bolt-action and semi-auto, right, since Ruger doesn't make a lever-action. The new Tikka seems to be selling well, and of course SAKO has made its Finnfire range for many years. SAKO seem to last forever, but not as long and my vintage Mauser and Walther rifles have. Walther no longer makes any kind of sorting .22RF, only spiffy and costy target stuff. Generally speaking, for reasons that none of us here can fathom, you pay a deal less for European-made firearms in the USA than we do. Very odd, that.

Ah, to us, Turkey is the Near East/Eastern Mediterranean, like Israel, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Cyprus. Indonesia/China/Korea/Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand/Japan is the east. We get CZ sold as CZ, we don't need any of the Turkish-made licensed CZs. In fact, I've never heard of them, and I'm about as close to the trade as it's possible to be. We get Turkish shotguns of all kinds, but nothing else except air rifles.

I haven't had a chance to shoot my Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle yet but the trigger pull averages a consistent 2 lb 12 oz. It can be adjusted from 2 1/4 lb. to 5 lb. The bolt action feels fine. It has a nice option to easily lengthen the distance of the bolt throw to simulate the bolt throw of a centerfire rifle.

FC1ypsc.png

TuLacwF.jpg

makes me sound like a seanchaí.
didn't see any bad vibes in what I found, other than various territorial locales that might be of some inflection I have no way to assess.....

any time you want to expand on the subject I'd be willing to listen...
don't know how the Gaelic seanchaí might settle in with a Welch boxter road tripster.

didn't see any bad vibes in what I found, other than various territorial locales that might be of some inflection I have no way to assess.....

any time you want to expand on the subject I'd be willing to listen...
don't know how the Gaelic seanchaí might settle in with a Welch boxter road tripster.

It's because I'm half-Irish, but have three times lived in Wales, and my wife is half-Welsh. I was also brought up in North Wales by my Welsh-speaking grandfather, my mother's step-father, whose extended family did not speak English among themselves if they could help it. That was many years ago, but my love of the Welsh language and all that goes with it has never left me.

My writing here, often long-winded, convoluted and Joyce-ian, is a reflection of the way I was taught as a child - by story-telling, and that is how I do things.

Mae'n oherwydd yr wyf hanner-Gwyddelig, ond wedi deirgwaith yn byw yng Nghymru, ac mae fy ngwraig yn hanner Cymru. Yr wyf hefyd magwyd yng Ngogledd Cymru gan fy nhaid Cymraeg eu hiaith, cam-tad fy mam, mae eu teulu estynedig nad oedd yn siarad Saesneg ymhlith eu hunain os gallent helpu ei. Yr oedd flynyddoedd lawer yn ôl, ond mae fy cariad at yr iaith Gymraeg a phawb sy'n gysylltiedig â hynny wedi gadael imi erioed. Fy ngwaith ysgrifennu yma, yn aml yn hirwyntog, astrus a 'Joyce-ian', yn adlewyrchiad o'r modd yr wyf yn dysgu fel plant-gan dweud stori, a dyna sut yr wyf yn gwneud pethau.

Mae'n oherwydd yr wyf hanner-Gwyddelig, ond wedi deirgwaith yn byw yng Nghymru, ac mae fy ngwraig yn hanner Cymru. Yr wyf hefyd magwyd yng Ngogledd Cymru gan fy nhaid Cymraeg eu hiaith, cam-tad fy mam, mae eu teulu estynedig nad oedd yn siarad Saesneg ymhlith eu hunain os gallent helpu ei. Yr oedd flynyddoedd lawer yn ôl, ond mae fy cariad at yr iaith Gymraeg a phawb sy'n gysylltiedig â hynny wedi gadael imi erioed. Fy ngwaith ysgrifennu yma, yn aml yn hirwyntog, astrus a 'Joyce-ian', yn adlewyrchiad o'r modd yr wyf yn dysgu fel plant-gan dweud stori, a dyna sut yr wyf yn gwneud pethau.

sounds lovelyo_O

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top