JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IIRC, Harris set the standard back in the day (20+ yrs ago) but since then there are much better options.

I was going to respond to this with "Yeah, but they're a decent product for the money." Then I went to Amazon and Midway to look at what they are going for these days (I've had mine a long time). :eek: I think I only paid around $30 for the one I have.
same, Ive had mine a long time but its seems like a cheap 50dollar Caldwells bipod is identical now.

I was going to respond to this with "Yeah, but they're a decent product for the money." Then I went to Amazon and Midway to look at what they are going for these days (I've had mine a long time). :eek: I think I only paid around $30 for the one I have. I don't have turrets on my scope or do any real long-range shooting, so I've been pretty happy with the quality and reliability of my Harris bipod - for what I paid for it. Other than coyotes, I don't really take shots much over 300 yards on game animals. Of late, most of my shots are under 50 yards because I'm usually bowhunting. :D
I run Harris bipods on my rimfire rifles. They aren't bad little bipods for the money. Im actually in the market and have been doing some research on what bipod I wanna buy next for my .300WM and .308.

This is a set up I use for prairie dog hunting and getting groups when developing loads. I slightly modified the front rest to have a one handed elevation control lever. I can run the full range of up and down with a lever that moves about 60 degrees. My shooting chair swivels and with the one handed control for elevation I can make precision shots on the fly.
The rifle just lays in the front rest and sits in the rear bag. I do have a slider on the butt stock so it recoils straight back though. I only make contact with the gun using my trigger hand and my cheek.
My prairie dog hunting set up. Cheap and it works. Can't wait to get out there again very soon.

3AEFFA74-EB68-4EE0-9FCC-6F14E923DD4A.jpeg

I run Harris bipods on my rimfire rifles. They aren't bad little bipods for the money. Im actually in the market and have been doing some research on what bipod I wanna buy next for my .300WM and .308.
Ive been lurking modern bipods for a while now for hunting and it will either be a Backlandz (super UL) or an Atlas bipod for me. Ive hesitated cause Im still not certain I need one over shooting sticks or my hunting pack (prone). I lean towards the Backlandz.... (6.5oz)

1679364386195.png

Ive been lurking modern bipods for a while now for hunting and it will either be a Backlandz (super UL) or an Atlas bipod for me. Ive hesitated cause Im still not certain I need one over shooting sticks or my hunting pack (prone). I lean towards the Backlandz.... (6.5oz)

View attachment 1387871
I'll probably end up getting an atlas and just run it across all my rifles. Same thing I do with my mark 5 scope. It just jumps from one rifle to the next. Haha.

View attachment 1387871
Yikes! That's like 18 times what I paid for my Harris bipod. While I suppose I could afford one, I'm just too cheap to pay that much. Siiiiiigh. It is pretty sweet looking though. Maybe if I had a once-in-a-lifetime sheep tag or something. Heck, I've already got the rifle just waiting for that tag. At least that's what I told my wife while I kept my hand in the air during the live auction at a Friends of NRA banquet. :oops:

Yikes! That's like 18 times what I paid for my Harris bipod. While I suppose I could afford one, I'm just too cheap to pay that much. Siiiiiigh. It is pretty sweet looking though. Maybe if I had a once-in-a-lifetime sheep tag or something. Heck, I've already got the rifle just waiting for that tag. At least that's what I told my wife while I kept my hand in the air during the live auction at a Friends of NRA banquet. :oops:
Yup, thats why I dont have one yet. Not so much the price but that Im still not certain I will use a bipod as much as my shooting sticks.

that price doesnt include the mounting bracket, another $60.

What I like about this one, is the weight. Perfect for my backcountry backpacking hunting.

Yup, thats why I dont have one yet. Not so much the price but that Im still not certain I will use a bipod as much as my shooting sticks.

that price doesnt include the mounting bracket, another $60.

What I like about this one, is the weight. Perfect for my backcountry backpacking hunting.
What rifle are you running in regards to pack hunting?

What rifle are you running in regards to pack hunting?
While Ive somewhat learned the UL backpacking discipline my rifle is not the best example. Problem is Im frugal and have been using the same rifle I inherited from my day almost 30 years ago, a Remington 700 25-06.
Last Nov I purchased a Browning xbolt 280AI I will be using from now on for elk. Both rifles weigh in at around 10lbs... neither are what I consider UL rifles ideal for backpack hunting.

1679366049819.png

PRS and NRL matches nation wide can be blamed for the sharp increase in bipod costs. There are a few on Amazon, Chinese, but decent. UTG makes some good ones that are not too ridiculous.

While Ive somewhat learned the UL backpacking discipline my rifle is not the best example. Problem is Im frugal and have been using the same rifle I inherited from my day almost 30 years ago, a Remington 700 25-06.
Last Nov I purchased a Browning xbolt 280AI I will be using from now on for elk. Both rifles weigh in at around 10lbs... neither are what I consider UL rifles ideal for backpack hunting.

View attachment 1387911
I just picked up an Sig Cross to use as a primary pack gun. I'm excited to get out there with it. The rifle itself is very compact and light which is nice. I wasn't planning on buying one this soon but 114 kinda forced my hand in the decision process.

PRS and NRL matches nation wide can be blamed for the sharp increase in bipod costs. There are a few on Amazon, Chinese, but decent. UTG makes some good ones that are not too ridiculous.
I read a review recently that the cheap Magpul bipods really hold up well and function. I might pick up a cheap bipod for my AR for bench shooting.

I read a review recently that the cheap Magpul bipods really hold up well and function. I might pick up a cheap bipod for my AR for bench shooting.
Check out Fab Defense if looking at magpul. It's slightly better.

I just picked up an Sig Cross to use as a primary pack gun. I'm excited to get out there with it. The rifle itself is very compact and light which is nice. I wasn't planning on buying one this soon but 114 kinda forced my hand in the decision process.
A modern style rifle like the Sig Cross would be exceptional for backpack hunting. anything under 8lbs IMO.

114 influenced my decision to buy the Browning, I've been doing fine with my 25-06 for elk, but a larger caliber for elk has been haunting me for years....when 114 passed it told me to finally get it now. There was a lighter weight Browning I wanted but it wasn't available and I settled on a more traditional weight rifle after 114 passed and the background queue started stacking up fast, I pulled the trigger...
No regrets as Im thinking its a more accurate model..
1679366762547.png

Check out Fab Defense if looking at magpul. It's slightly better.
Nice, Im seeing more than bipods I want on there too. Nice stuff.
their Spike Precision bipod looks perfect for me. Thanks for the bookmark.

Nice, Im seeing more than bipods I want on there too. Nice stuff.
their Spike Precision bipod looks perfect for me. Thanks for the bookmark.
I've got it. It's nice. Back to neck with the magpul it takes a slight edge for less wobble and what feels more solid-like construction. The side to side pivot is a bit different but I've learned to like it. The two are very similar. I don't think you could go wrong with either for bench shooting.

I've got it. It's nice. Back to neck with the magpul it takes a slight edge for less wobble and what feels more solid-like construction. The side to side pivot is a bit different but I've learned to like it. The two are very similar. I don't think you could go wrong with either for bench shooting.
If its worthy I would use it for hunting too. Long term 114 fun project is Im building an AR grendel for deer hunting it would be a good fit for that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top